Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Calling Hatzalah (Spinoff from "Trust your gut")
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 11:01 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
That's right, the doctor told us that the tick my son had is not a carrier for Lyme's disease. Until my son developed Lyme's disease three months later.

I think that all of you ladies who say that a tick is no big deal have no idea how devastating a disease Lyme's disease actually is.

This story is missing info. Your pediatrician doesn't tell you if a tic has disease. It's sent to a lab. Something in this story doesn't add up. But it may be true, if it is then find yourself a different pediatrician

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 11:05 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The only way I've used hatzalah's services for small things like checking to see if we should go to the emergency room or if it could wait/urgent care is enough, is when I went to my hatzalah neighbor's door and personally asked him if he could help us. I didn't actually call hatzalah and make someone come down.

It's not fair to knock on their door for that. U should call your doctor. Imagine how many people knock on their door. Give them their space.

If it's emergency or not call the hatzolah emergency number. Please don't knock on their doors.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 11:05 pm
amother wrote:
This story is missing info. Your pediatrician doesn't tell you if a tic has disease. It's sent to a lab. Something in this story doesn't add up. But it may be true, if it is then find yourself a different pediatrician

We brought the tick to my doctor. He said that this type of tick is not a carrier. He did not send it to the lab to be analyzed. I'm sorry if you feel that my story doesn't add up - this is what happened. What type of info. do you feel this story is missing?

Mommyg8

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 11:07 pm
amother wrote:
It's not fair to knock on their door for that. U should call your doctor. Imagine how many people knock on their door. Give them their space.

If it's emergency or not call the hatzolah emergency number. Please don't knock on their doors.

Are you the hatzaloh guy? How do you know that this person minded? Actually, we've done this many times. I'm sorry that this bothers you.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 11:44 pm
My dad is in hatzola for years & for some reason people don't wanna call hatzola & would rather knock on the door. Forget about the part that it's disrupting the family, we've had people knock in extreme emergency situations when it was so foolish to knock & not call & precious time was lost. What if my dad wasn't home??? We've had someone screaming from downstairs "help my son is chocking!!" He's really lucky my dad was home! We've also had someone knocking for difficulty breathing, seizures.... it's so dangerous! Hatzola in the city keeps saying again & again to always call instead of knocking at doors.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 11:46 pm
Every memeber was also paskened differently regarding responding to calls on Shabbos. My dad was told he can not drive on shabbos & should only respond to calls right near our house.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 11:46 pm
When you call hatzalah they take you straight into the emergency room. Many years ago my relative woke his wife in the morning saying he doesn't feel so well. She drove him to the er. There was a long line and he wasn't deemed an emergency. After waiting a while in the waiting room he collapsed and died. Tragic death that maybe could have been prevented had they called hatzalah right away.

amother
White

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 11:56 pm
amother wrote:
Ohhhhhh YES some people absolutely should feel bad for callig hatzalah. Oh yes they SHOULD.

I am talking about the idiotic mothers who call for hatzalah to remove a TICK (im not making this up. multiple times, different people), to look at a weird looking bump, rash etc. The ones who call, on shabbos, because she is in labor-JUST started, NO history of rapid labor, but its time to go to the hospital and why call a cab if you can call hatzalah? People have called to remove splinters! I don't CARE how deep the splinter went, I dont CARE if its embedded at a weird angle, this is not an emergency!!
Hatzalah is not a taxi service, nor are they doctors on wheels. If its not an emergency, go to the ER or doctors office by yourself. Do not interrupt our amazing Hatzalah volunteers' workdays (yes! They leave work to run to you! What do you think, theyre tanning at the beach??)or their shabbos tables for stupid situations like I mentioned above.

People call hatzolah rather than go to the ER themselves, when it's not a life or death situation because hatzolah has valuable relationships with the right people at the local ER and can bypass hours of lines and waiting. At least this is the perception.

bel

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 12:17 am
When I call hatzalah. I asked them what I should do .go to Dr or E.R. or should hatzalah come and check out themself and go on from there.the dispatchers are always very nice.one time I had three little kids with tons of splinters from the deck .I wasn't sure what to do.I told the dispatcher and they sent down some members who said they can't do anything but they gave me this special tweezer that's takes out all the splinters.since then I can take out every splinter myself(over 14 years ago) so it was a real life saver.last year before peasach my sons doctor said I have to take my son to the hospital because he thinks he has an affection .my husband wasn't home and I didn't know how I could manage myself because my child couldn't walk due to the infection, so I called hatzala and told them the story , two men came right away I stole them I felt bad that they are driving me and that they are away from their family's.they told me they knew what they got into and their wife's gave permission.( the drive to and back takes 1 hour).I really find it hard to belief that hatzalah isn't nice/ good to everyone

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 12:57 am
amother wrote:
Many people Call hatzola when they can just as well transfer themselves to the ER. I once called & my baby had to be taken to the ER, they told me to rather drive in so I should have a way home as she wasn't in a life threatening situation.
Also many many people abuse the system & there's a shortage of medics in Monsey.
I think I know which medic OP is talking about that didn't take her seriously, he came to us as well already, he's not the typical hatzola member most are very nice & kind.
But they do have to be extra careful shabbos.

Mint, I didnt even realize OP was in Monsey... (didnt read full post). I, the one who almost died, am also in Monsey. I am guessing it is the same guy...

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 1:02 am
amother wrote:
Octopus, from a wife or child of hatzola members point of view amother blush is not wrong! We've had our shabbos/dinner/family time ruined too many times to count because someone has a toothache, or a cut that's not bleeding, a tick or a weird rash. That's why I said you need to use seichel when to call. What is hatzola supposed to do for a toothache?? Obviously if someone losses consciousness don't think twice! On the other hand, if someone has a cut or you think your child is acting weird, go the the doctor, don't take the member away from their families.

Mint: As the wife of a Chaverim member, I just want to point out that in these organizations, taking a call is usually voluntary. Yes, someone is going to take the call and someone will leave their family, but if you really want your husband to not be that one, can't you ask him to stay?

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 1:18 am
amother wrote:
I only read op's post and must say im very surprised because I had to call hatzalah for my son this week and we had to sign a waiver that we are refusing transport to the hospital. They explained that their job when called is to transport.
My son was having a severe allergy attack and he was coughing nonstop and his chest hurt so I wanted to be sure his lungs were clear and they were bh.
They were extremely nice and told us what to do at home and if that didnt work to go to the hospital for a breathing treatment.
This is in Lakewood and I must say they are extremely professional.
I believe they can get into trouble if they dont transport and a situation ends up being serious.

Maroon: Just something to be aware of:
Even if the lungs sound clear it can still be a life threatening emergency. My husband once had such a severe allergic reaction that his inside were so swollen that there wasn't enough room for air to pass and cause a wheeze.
I recommend getting a pulse/ox machine to keep in the house and test his O2 levels. And at the first sign of tightness, get the kid onto the nebulizer.

Just to share some more info for those who might need it:
I'm not a doctor, but I do run a medical gemach and below is the method I use specifically for seasonal allergy-induced asthma attacks, which is good to be aware of. (For food allergy attacks, you really need to more cautious as it is not only the lungs and airway affected, but the actual bodily tissue in the throat and tongue, as well.)

1. Prepare an albuterol and steroidal (usually budesonide) combo nebulizer and start patient on that. (I am very against wrongful steroid use, but the steroids in this method help prevent systemic steroids that would affect the whole body. Nebulizer steroids affect only the lungs.)

2. Give the patient two antihistamines, Benadryl for immediate histamine blocking, and a long acting one, like Zyrtec.

3. Have the patient drink a cup of very dense black coffee, which can help calm an asthmatic episode.

4. Monitor O2 levels. If saturation dips below 90/91, call Hatzalah.

Again, I am not a doctor, but this is what has worked for me many times in helping others. Just good to keep in the back of your mind.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 1:22 am
amother wrote:
Sorry, but I think this is an inappropriate use of hatzalah. Call your doctor for something like that, especially if you are refusing further medical care.

I disagree, completely. The poster wasn't sure if it was an emergency or not. Breathing issues are never a joke. People can die from them, and they do, lo aleinu. The poster wanted to make sure he wasn't in a life-threatening situation.

And guess what? If she had called her doctor on Shabbos, he would have told her to...

ready for it?

Bada bing:

CALL HATZALAH!

And then you would have had the doctor be m'challel Shabbos, the poster x2, AND Hatzalah...

tweety1

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 1:27 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
That's right, the doctor told us that the tick my son had is not a carrier for Lyme's disease. Until my son developed Lyme's disease three months later.

I think that all of you ladies who say that a tick is no big deal have no idea how devastating a disease Lyme's disease actually is.

Thank you! My sil had the same thing. She found a tick on her daughter in the country. She called her pediatrician (Dr diamond in bp) and he told her 90% aren't carriers and dismissed it. She was adamant that she wants the tick tested. Low and behold the tick was a Lyme carrier! I'm gonna say it again and again if needed,
Blush, ticks are an emergency! You may decide it's not, but as a mother of little kids, and as a friend of somebody with a serious case of Lyme disease TICKS ARE AN EMERGENCY!!

Iymnok

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 2:18 am
My question is why no one knows how to do abdominal thrusts, and calls Hatzoloh first. I learned as a child and every few years since what to do in emergency situations.
You should start abdominal thrusts and direct someone else to call.
Same with CPR.
Everyone, especially mommies, needs to know basic emergency care.
If you live in an area with ticks, go learn how to remove them.
You should know what to do when blood is gushing from your kid's head. (Apply lots of pressure with something absorbent. I used a compression pad, diaper, my friend used a towel). Then call and they wii assess if stitches or observation are needed.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 5:25 am
amother wrote:
This story doesn't make sense. Hatzolah never tells you what to do over the phone they are not allowed to.
they talked with the head of a hatzole after that and he was shocked and hurt. He told them to file a complain and my sister said no it's okay. But he said it's not ok please file a complain. Just btw it was in Israel. I don't know how official hatzole is in that place

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 7:52 am
amother wrote:
I disagree, completely. The poster wasn't sure if it was an emergency or not. Breathing issues are never a joke. People can die from them, and they do, lo aleinu. The poster wanted to make sure he wasn't in a life-threatening situation.

And guess what? If she had called her doctor on Shabbos, he would have told her to...

ready for it?

Bada bing:

CALL HATZALAH!

And then you would have had the doctor be m'challel Shabbos, the poster x2, AND Hatzalah...

The ONLY reason I said it was an inappropriate use of hatzalah is because if his breathing was that bad, then he should gone to the ER. To call hatzalah and then to refuse any further medical treatment seems very inappropriate. Like another poster said, just because the hatzalah member said his chest was clear does not mean he was stable.

ETA: nowhere did this poster say his occurred on shabbos so I don't assume it did.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 7:57 am
bel, why couldn't you take a taxi to the hospital? You called hatzola as a cab service.... I once tried that when my doctor sent my daughter in & they told me to drive her in myself. If a kid has an infection you can take the kid to the ER yourself, no need to call hatzola for that.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 7:59 am
Regarding ticks, most can be removed safely on your own with tweezers. In addition, plenty of doctors do not send ticks out to be tested. Ticks generally need to be on the body for 48 hours to transmit Lyme disease. Some doctors will pre-treat with antibiotics for all tick bites, some will do blood tests about 6 weeks post bite to test for Lyme.

saw50st8

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 8:16 am
amother wrote:
People call hatzolah rather than go to the ER themselves, when it's not a life or death situation because hatzolah has valuable relationships with the right people at the local ER and can bypass hours of lines and waiting. At least this is the perception.

My local ambulance corp told me the same thing - their relationship with the hospital helps smooth the check-in process. You've also had a sort of triage so they can get you the right help faster.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics