Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Renovating home you're buying

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 6:22 pm
Just wondering how it's usually done. You don't get access to the house while in contract to walk through with contractors, get quotes and get started on the process so that once you close you can start the renovations immediately?

mha3484

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 6:26 pm
You should have access before you close. After our inspection we were able to walk through with contractors to get an idea of how much it would cost to fix the issues on the inspection report. The estimates we got led us to a substantial price reduction. Your realtor should be able to give you access. Its super important.

Last edited by mha3484 on Thu, May 10 2018, 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Miri7

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 6:28 pm
We had access before we made an offer, both to walk through with contractor/architect to get an idea of cost and possibilities, as well as for roof and general inspectors to visit.

Once in contract, there was a lockbox on the door and we had pretty much unlimited access. The home was vacant for the duration, so that may make a difference.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 6:35 pm
It all depends on if the seller still lives in the home . The realtor can usually make an appointment when they agree to allow access

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 6:38 pm
Sellers moved out already but are giving us such a hard time to get access (agent also said it’s not normal to ask for so much access before closing). I really need to get started as I’m due soon and don’t want to be busy running around and working on this with a newborn. Plus the huge expense of paying for two places at once.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 6:40 pm
amother wrote:
Sellers moved out already but are giving us such a hard time to get access (agent also said it’s not normal to ask for so much access before closing). I really need to get started as I’m due soon and don’t want to be busy running around and working on this with a newborn. Plus the huge expense of paying for two places at once.

Not sure what "so much access " means. It's normal for a contractor to come down once and give an estimate. Constantly gaining access is not the norm.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 6:43 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Not sure what "so much access " means. It's normal for a contractor to come down once and give an estimate. Constantly gaining access is not the norm.

I’m trying to get a few quotes before deciding on a contractor...

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 6:47 pm
amother wrote:
I’m trying to get a few quotes before deciding on a contractor...

I would book them all for estimates on the same day. Each with a half hr time slot or less.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 7:26 pm
At this point seller wouldn't want to do anything to risk this not closing. Letting your contractors walk around and find gosh knows what might do that. I can see where they are coming from.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 8:18 pm
amother wrote:
At this point seller wouldn't want to do anything to risk this not closing. Letting your contractors walk around and find gosh knows what might do that. I can see where they are coming from.

If a seller is afraid of a contractor coming in and finding "gosh knows what," that is a huge red flag. What are they hiding?

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 8:22 pm
amother wrote:
If a seller is afraid of a contractor coming in and finding "gosh knows what," that is a huge red flag. What are they hiding?

Also we already did the inspection and know the deal with the house. I just hoped for more flexibility and understanding since they’re not living there anymore and they’re frum people. when we were looking at it they made it sound like they would be so easy about it. They even said that we might be able to start working before closing and now suddenly it’s a big deal every time.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 8:29 pm
amother wrote:

It doesn't mean they are hiding anything. "gosh knows what" could be things that they aren't aware of.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 8:32 pm
amother wrote:
Also we already did the inspection and know the deal with the house. I just hoped for more flexibility and understanding since they’re not living there anymore and they’re frum people. when we were looking at it they made it sound like they would be so easy about it. They even said that we might be able to start working before closing and now suddenly it’s a big deal every time.

How frustrating for you that they aren't living up to what they said they would do.

Again - there is still a risk for them that you won't close. I'm truly not suggesting that they are hiding something - but they may have got some advice not to allow you to treat the house like you own it, when you don't.

Can you get the closing date moved up?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating