Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Rochester, how cold does it get?

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 6:40 pm
In the winter?

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 6:45 pm
Based on a Google the temperatures don't really go above freezing during the winter time.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 8:12 pm
So I moved from the NY Metro area to Rochester. Often in the winter the weather is warmer in Rochester by a degree or two than in Monsey, but it typically is colder by a 1-3 degrees (not by a very significant amount). When it's near zero here, it's usually around that in the metro area too.

In my experience, the cold isn't rough. However, the wind blows off the lake, and when it's in the 30's or lower, you feel the breeze/wind. The lake is about a 30 minute drive away from the frum community but you'll still get windy weather sometimes - more wind than I was used to.

Rochester gets a total tally of snow that can seem shocking but that's because of the lake affect snow. Basically, when it's below freezing, it can snow a dusting to an inch (occasionally more) every night, and sometimes a bit during the day too. It's usually fluffy stuff, and if you sneeze you'll clean the car. Very Happy Seriously though, usually a quick wipe with the brush or broom does the trick, but sometimes it's a few inches of lake effect at a time. Sometimes the wind cleans the snow off the car for you! In the last 2 years, the NYC metro area had more snow storms than Rochester - Rochester had only 2 storms per year in the last 2 years according to my memory, one at the beginning of the winter and one at the end, otherwise was just the lake effect stuff.

Rochester does a MUCH better job cleaning snow than the NYC metro area, even better than Monsey. There are almost no snowdays for the kids, which is great for working parents, and great for our kids education. In my Rochester experience there has been nearly no ice, nearly no potholes - especially when compared to the NYC area.

I do think that if a family comes up to Rochester in the winter they need better cold weather gear to help protect them from the wind. Get a long coat instead of a jacket, snow pants for the kids, good quality gloves, waterproof boots that are good for the cold, and facemasks for the kids are a must. Invest in a quality coat - good for cold temps - so that if the kids (or adults) want to have winter sport fun (sledding is big here) everyone's warm.

Best way to know is to check it out yourself - but we love it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating