Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Anyone else find the "all night learning" superficial?
Previous  1  2

ProudMommie

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 7:53 am
It is a beautiful special thing and I love when my husband does it...but he cant every year and its totally fine. Hshem knows our heart...but if u do learn all night...go with real ...not "feel good"...

amother
Denim

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 7:59 am
My husband learns one on one in his Kollel shavuos night. He doesn’t go to a communal lecture, that’s geared to the general community. If one has a more sophisticated level of knowledge, they generally participate in a place that’s geared to that.
As an aside, I appreciate shavuos night. He learns much of the night, and it’s very spirited. There’s coffee and food and he learns with a whole slew of people. He very much enjoys it and that’s also an important part of learning.

wiki

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 10:23 am
Since we have little kids, we have both switched to getting a good night's sleep on Shavuos night, and we think it's important not to take the minhag too crazy just because it's the "thing to do." If it will make you all cranky to lose the sleep, it's totally not worth it.

And if the shiurim are lousy and it feels like the whole staying up all night thing is just performed to go through the motions and satisfy peer pressure, then it's also totally not worth it. Go to bed or find a new place to go.

But I have extremely fond memories of staying up all night learning (and getting more caffeine hourly!) during my high school years with friends, attending some shiurim and doing some learning self-guided, and then forcing myself to make it through all of shacharis with kavana, and walking home in the post-sunrise, and the whole experience was awesome. It was special and inspiring, fun and (at least in the better moments) really built around celebrating actual Torah learning. I can't wait until my kids are teenagers and I will jump right back into it with enthusiasm.

zaq

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 5:51 pm
amother wrote:
(wondering if that was an intentional throwback to a prior OP thread...??)

Alas, no, but maybe just a happy coincidence. I don’t even know which thread you’re referring to. Enlighten me, please!

animeme

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 6:22 pm
I think we need to focus on this from a male point of view vs a female one. The female obligation to learn Torah focuses on content- we learn so we will know. Men need to know too, but they also learn to learn, yomam va'laila, and get the zechus even if they come out remembering nothing.

Learning leil shavuos should not be at the expense of the chag or your health or ability ro be a mensch- DH says that tikkun leil Shavous is a minhag and "v'hayisah ach sameach" is d'oraisah. And when it degenerates into people shmuezing and not leqrning, that's clearly also not good. But occupying oneself in learning on any level is good for the neshama and provides shemirah.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics