Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Anywhere in the world: Where would we fit?
Previous  1  2

amother
Gold

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 12:18 pm
THANK YOU all so much!

For those who mentioned Manhattan - which neighbourhood?

Other poster: can you tell me more about Kensington, Brooklyn?

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 12:27 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
BALTIMORE

Thats what I came on here to say!! Its not as walkable as nyc but people do it!

doctorima

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 1:28 pm
amother wrote:
THANK YOU all so much!

For those who mentioned Manhattan - which neighbourhood?

Other poster: can you tell me more about Kensington, Brooklyn?

I didn't mention Manhattan, but the largest frum community there is on the Upper West Side, which spans a lot of blocks, depending on which shul you want to affiliate with and be near. Other options are the Upper East Side and the Lowest East Side, but UWS is your best bet. But be warned - they're all really, really expensive!

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 1:46 pm
I grew up on the UWS. Some things to consider. The lower part is more MO- I wouldn't say so diverse. Higher up you will find more of a mix. I don't know where you fall out hashkafically but my family doesn't hold by the eiruv. You probably want to look in to that before you move.

If you are asking for urban than I'm guessing you are ok with apartment living. If you've never done apartment living there are definitely some downsides when raising kids. If you are familiar with it and like it then fine.

There is definitely a mix of people and I don't know if it's my personality, family or if it's really a communal thing but I definitely didn't feel any need to keep on with the Cohens.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 1:56 pm
What about toronto?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 2:05 pm
Kensington brooklyn is on the outskirts of boro park and flatbush . A mix of all types but mainly bais yaakov type. I know a few jews of color here. Definitely not keeping up with the cohens.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 2:59 pm
Maybe the b’nai david Judea community in Los Angeles or Riverdale . From reading the responses here, it’s clear that people have very different ideas of what you mean, so I’m not sure I’m so on target.

gold21

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 4:22 pm
Possibly Bayswater. I'm not so sure about how urban/suburban it is- maybe someone here who knows more can chime in- but it's in NYC, so there's definitely access to public transportation.

amother
Red

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 6:08 pm
gold21 wrote:
Possibly Bayswater. I'm not so sure about how urban/suburban it is- maybe someone here who knows more can chime in- but it's in NYC, so there's definitely access to public transportation.

While I would not call it suburban by any means , you def need a car as there is nothing really walkable.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 6:22 pm
Maybe Passaic?

amother
Silver

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 6:24 pm
amother wrote:
While I would not call it suburban by any means , you def need a car as there is nothing really walkable.

Even Far Rockaway which is way more central and urban has no walkable shopping. When I think walkable shopping in that area, I think Cedarhurst.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 8:44 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe the b’nai david Judea community in Los Angeles or Riverdale . From reading the responses here, it’s clear that people have very different ideas of what you mean, so I’m not sure I’m so on target.

I found that this area in general had a lot of diversity, but there was a lot of keeping up with the Cohens. We lived there many years and are much happier elsewhere. Though the people are lovely (esp the Rabbi and Rebbetzin at BDJ) it wasn’t as laid back as we prefer.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 9:08 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
100%

If money is no barrier you can almost for sure find your niche somewhere in the greater Jerusalem region.

Sorry for reviving the thread: what would be the more open-minded community in Jlm?

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 9:20 am
amother wrote:
Sorry for reviving the thread: what would be the more open-minded community in Jlm?

Baka and Katamon are your best options, though they are expensive.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Aug 28 2018, 11:14 am
Detroit hmmmmm. A little town. They are not nosey but they happen to know everything that's going on with each other because it's a very small close knit community.

Whoever said Jerusalem didn't live in 100 Shearim. I have to say the difference between Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jews a very drastic so please take that into consideration. Color makes a very big difference and people that are converts it's not easy for them either so please don't recommend it.
I really don't mean to speak bad but please don't recommend the place with a personal end up suffering because they may be a different color.
Passaic maybe a better place fot BTs.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating