Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to wash down comforter?

tsc3

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 4:51 am
Has anyone ever done this at home? If so, how?
How often does it need to be washed if its always covered with a duvet cover?
Thanks

essie14

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 7:06 am
I keep mine covered with a duvet cover which gets washed every 1-2 weeks. The comforter gets sent to the dry cleaners once a year.

Amarante

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 10:51 am
You need a very large capacity washer and dryer to wash down quilts at home.

I washed a down throw successfully at home.

The real issue is that you need to dry it extremely well - much longer than you would think you would need.

You also need to use balls in the dryer so that the down is fluffed up while drying and doesn't mat together. Some people use tennis balls but since I didn't have any tennis balls, I bought some wool balls on amazon intended specifically for the dryer. Their reviews stated they were good for drying anything so I figured why not.

If you don't have a large capacity washer and dryer you can take to the laundromat where they generally have a few huge machines.

And of course a duvet cover would mean that you have to wash it infrequently since it is protected.

Or you can send to the cleaner for them to do it :-)

If you want to attempt to do it at home, google to ensure a satisfactory result - especially in the drying aspect which is critical.

tsc3

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 11:37 am
Thanks for the replies!

das

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 11:53 am
I wash it at home on the comforter setting of my front loader. Then I dry it with 5 tennis balls so it comes out fluffy. I'm a germaphobe so I do it very often with great results.

lavenderchimes

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 11:59 am
I wash once or twice a year, and line dry if I'm by my mother. I put it in the dryer on "low" with give tennis balls. The comforter cover I wash more often.

creditcards

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 11:59 am
I just wash it in my front loader. Like any gentle thing. I don't send anything ever to the cleaners. I dry it if it's real down. Otherwise I let it air dry. I happen to have a few balls that came along with a comforter, but if I don't I just dry it without balls. It fluffs back up eventally.

TeachersNotebook

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 11:41 pm
What creditcards said. The label told me I needed an extra large capacity washer/dryer and tennis balls, but I don't have any of those, and it comes out fluffy and clean anyway. I wouldn't use fabric softener, because I don't know what that does to down.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry