Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
For those of you that live in Israel & Host Boys & Girls

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 11:05 am
I was wondering your opinion to what you expect.
My child is in Israel for the year. A specific family had her and a few friends over six or seven times this year for one meal on a Shabbos. No sleeping accommodations. She always walked in with a bottle of wine and never empty handed. As a host would you expect the parents to send you a gift at the end of the year or would you expect something shavuous time even though your daughter is not eating by them.
Here in American I have hosted countless amount of Yeshiva boys and they all walk in empty handed.
We watts app the people thank you every time my daughter goes there for a meal.
We do iy”h have more children that will spend a year in Israel

doctorima

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 11:24 am
Certainly no need to send something for Shavuos if she's not going there. As for an end-of-year gift, it's totally unexpected, and I dare say that almost nobody gives it. But if they've been particularly good to her and you'd like to express your appreciation and engender good will, especially if you'll have other kids going there, it's certainly a nice gesture if you can afford it.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 11:30 am
We Horst all the time and would never expect anything from the parents. Sometimes the kids bring and sometimes not. If u personally felt a connection to the family then it would be a very nice generous gesture. But no one would bat an eyelash if they didn’t receive anything.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 11:32 am
We took out the husband and wife to eat dinner when they were in the US on vacation

abound

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 11:36 am
no end of the year gift...at all!

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 11:54 am
No year end or Shavuos gift needed nor expected.
All that is expected is good manners and a nice temperament from the guest.
It is sweet to offer to help serve or clean up and perhaps a small gift - wine, candy, cake or rugelach.

We have the most fun getting to know our guests over the Shabbat meal. A pleasant conversation is worth everything.

heidi

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 11:55 am
I host allllll the time. One time the girls chipped in and bought us a challah cover. Other than that most of the kids bring candy or a cake. I have never gotten nor would I expect an end of year gift.

LisaS

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 12:16 pm
It would be really sweet to call and thank them. That's all.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 12:27 pm
We don't expect anything from the parents. If we are friends with the parents we will usually get a whatsapp from them after Shabbat saying "[child] had a great time, thanks for hosting him/her" but many times we don't know the parents.
Small tokens of appreciation from the girls and boys are always welcome but not expected.

Shuly

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 12:57 pm
In the 13 years that I've been hosting, I got big gifts twice at the end of the year - one girl gave me a beautiful table cloth and one gave me a Coach wristlet. Both of the girls came often and we were close with their families too.

Most kids who come do not bring anything. Some bring candy platters or wine, but even that is totally unexpected.

If you feel extra thankful to them, it is nice to send something and they will appreciate it, but it's not required at all.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 2:07 pm
No need for a gift, but a little phone call always shows the appreciation.

Miri7

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 2:27 pm
An old fashioned handwritten note of appreciation sounds perfect here. And good for your DD to always bring something.

sim

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 4:23 pm
During her year in Israel, my daughter ate many meals with one particularly lovely and welcoming family. Although she always brought something small each time (usually candy or cookies), before she returned home she bought the hostess a pretty dish and enclosed a note thanking her for all of her hospitality over the course of the year.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 5:20 pm
you may disagree but I feel its really important that the kids see and show hakoras hatov. even if the host doesnt expect it. its teaching our impressionable kids basic manners. you go somewhere you bring a small something BOYS and girls. of course you help serve and clear. and that the parent writes a thank you at the end of the yr with or without a gift models the behavior for the family.
my daughter went to sem last yr and beforw she left we discussed being a "nice" guest.

erm

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 8:55 pm
I had hosted many boys and girls when I lived in Israel. Sometimes they brought flowers or a some cake. I did not expect anything and I definitely did not expect an end of year gift. However, if you feel that the family went out of their way for your child, sending a small gift as a token of your appreciation is a nice gesture.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:33 am
Thank you everyone for your replies. We will just call them before yom tov and thank them again. We will not bother giving anything since we did take them to an expensive restaurant when they were in he US. And they mentioned to my daughter that we took them out to eat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics