Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
I leave my heating pad on for 24 hours over Shabbos
1  2  Next

amother
Brown

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 2:41 pm
Since a recent injury, I leave my heating pad on for 24 hours over Shabbos.

What can I do over a 3 day Shabbos-Yom Tov, Im scared to keep it on that long?

One Shabbos I tried a timer, but once it shut the heating pad off, it never went back on.

Any ideas?

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 2:43 pm
Buy a new timer or borrow one and test it out. Set it for an hour and see if it goes back on. Maybe try a hot water bottle. It's not as hot but would it do the trick?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 2:47 pm
Test it out now. Leave it on for 3 days, and check it regularly to see if it overheats. If it's fine, then you know you're OK for yontif.

A hot water bottle is only good for a few hours, unless you find a way to rewarm it, like laying it on a radiator. Another thing you could do is put a deep stock pot of water on the blech, and put the water bottle in there to reheat the contents (not on Shabbos, but on yontif.)

Refuah sheleima!

Learning

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 2:50 pm
You can buy another two and set two of them to turn on in 24 and 48 hours

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 2:53 pm
amother wrote:
Since a recent injury, I leave my heating pad on for 24 hours over Shabbos.

What can I do over a 3 day Shabbos-Yom Tov, Im scared to keep it on that long?

One Shabbos I tried a timer, but once it shut the heating pad off, it never went back on.

Any ideas?

Personally I would not leave a heating pad on for twenty four hours. I would use a reliable timer. Heating pads are not made to be on for twenty four hours and I would be nervous of a possible fire chas v'shalom.

Laiya

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 2:59 pm
You can get a smart plug for the outlet and put the outlet on a timer. You can set it to go on at different times, different days of the week, etc. I plan to use that for the crock pot, so it will turn off shabbos afternoon and not go back on again Sunday, etc.

Refuah shleima!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 3:14 pm
amother wrote:
Personally I would not leave a heating pad on for twenty four hours. I would use a reliable timer. Heating pads are not made to be on for twenty four hours and I would be nervous of a possible fire chas v'shalom.

It depends on the quality of the pad. Some have built in safety sensors, that will automatically lower the heat if it gets too hot. That's what mine does.

That's why I suggested she try it while she can monitor it and turn it off if it overheats.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 3:19 pm
I just discovered that my 20 year old heating pad, with a simple on off switch works with the timer, but not the new heating pad with updated numeric controls.

Id have bought a new one with an on/off switch without the fancy options, but it seems they dont make that any more.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 3:22 pm
If you're in Israel, the pad they sell at SuperPharm (with the blue cover) is really good. That's the one I have, and it's the best one I've ever used.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 3:30 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
If you're in Israel, the pad they sell at SuperPharm (with the blue cover) is really good. That's the one I have, and it's the best one I've ever used.
thanks but Im in NY.

Raisin

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 3:30 pm
why can't you refill a hot water bottle with water from the shabbos kettle?

amother
Brown

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 3:31 pm
Raisin wrote:
why can't you refill a hot water bottle with water from the shabbos kettle?

1- Nowhere near as effective- not as flexible around the body,

2- Id use up the contents of kettle pretty quickly.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 3:37 pm
Learning wrote:
You can buy another two and set two of them to turn on in 24 and 48 hours

It seems any heating pad with fancy LED controls (the way they make them now) doesnt go either on or off with a timer.

Laiya

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 3:42 pm
amother wrote:
It seems any heating pad with fancy LED controls (the way they make them now) doesnt go either on or off with a timer.

If you have a smart plug for the outlet, that the heating pad gets plugged into, then the outlet itself is what's on the timer.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 3:44 pm
Laiya wrote:
If you have a smart plug for the outlet, that the heating pad gets plugged into, then the outlet itself is what's on the timer.

How does that work? What would I need to buy? (Please provide photo and link).

Even though I think the LED controls on the newer heating pads arent compatible with any kind of timer.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 3:45 pm
duplicate post.

Laiya

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 4:37 pm
amother wrote:
How does that work? What would I need to buy? (Please provide photo and link).

Even though I think the LED controls on the newer heating pads arent compatible with any kind of timer.

Try looking up samsung smarthings; there are others as well. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 6:53 pm
Re the hot water bottle idea...
amother wrote:
...Id use up the contents of kettle pretty quickly.

Many Shabbos urns can be refilled on Yom Tov. Or if you leave a burner on, you can heat up hot water on your stove.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 7:05 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Re the hot water bottle idea...Many Shabbos urns can be refilled on Yom Tov. Or if you leave a burner on, you can heat up hot water on your stove.

Close to useless because its less flexible. Nowhere as comfortable a a heating pad.

mazelandbracha

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 10:36 pm
I bought online( I think from Etsy) a handmade heating pad. It was sewn out of flannel and filled with rice or corn kernels, or something like that. I lay it on top of my hot water urn and it heats up nicely. They come in different sizes, mine is big enough to lay across the shoulders. Hope this helps!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note