Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
What pareve side dishes do you make for a dairy meal?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Orange

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 1:00 pm
[quote="amother"]I do baked salmons cubes over garlic angel hair with a good salad.

Can you post a recipe

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 1:29 pm
Baked salmon cubes: take skin off baby salmon filet & cut into 1-2 inch cubes. Coat either in ketchup, Mayo, drop of garlic powder mix & the corn flake crumbs or in honey mustard dressing with corn flake crumbs. Bake till done about 20-25 minutes.
Angel hair: cook angel hair till done, mix with oil, garlic powder, salt n pepper. Can also use fresh crushed garlic, it's a matter of taste.

mfb

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 1:46 pm
[quote="amother"]
amother wrote:
I do baked salmons cubes over garlic angel hair with a good salad.

Can you post a recipe

I'm not that amother but for a good angel hair recipe I cook the angel hair according to directions and then add to it sliced scallions, sesame seeds.
Pour over that equal amounts of oil, soy sauce and sugar. (Approx. 1/2 cup of each for 1 box of angel hair)
Enjoy

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 2:29 pm
Mfb, I do this recipe as well but not when I serve it with fish. I don't like the scallion/fish combination.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 2:31 pm
amother wrote:
I do baked salmons cubes over garlic angel hair with a good salad.
Everyone has different minhagim regarding the dairy meal, there's no one right way. I know some that do night meals dairy, I know some that just do a dairy kiddish one morning followed by a fleishig meal, I know some that have a full dairy meal followed by a full fleishig meal- washing & bentching by both. Everyone does differently.

Are the salmon cubes good when prepared Erev Yom Tov?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 3:09 pm
Yes I prepare them erev yom tov.
If you do it the honey mustard way you can drizzle some dressing on the salmon when serving.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 3:29 pm
amother wrote:
I’ve found that many women are not aware of what the proper meals for Shavuous should be. Most believe the meals are supposed to be dairy. In fact that’s wrong, as on Yom Tov we are supposed to have same type of Seudos as Shabbos (bassar v’dagim), fleishig food. The true minhag is just to have something dairy earlier, and then have a full fleishig seuda for the meals...for those of you who are interested,,.

Most people are however aware that being rude is not how Jewish women should act.

There are people who are vegetarian and just have fish every single shabbos. You can't come storming in with all your ideas like some kind of imperialist.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 3:37 pm
Riff wrote:
I always get tempted to make everything milchig but then the menu is so heavy. What pairs well with dairy foods like quiche, salad with feta etc. that doesn't actually have dairy in, or happens to be dairy but isn't full of cheese?

My dairy meal is

Eggplant pizza/olive cheese truffles (appetizer)
Lasagna
Spinach cannelloni
Lasagna
Sea bass
Vegetable tian
Maple glazed sweet potatoes

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 3:59 pm
Eeema of 3, delicious menu, great variety!

amother
Tan

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 4:01 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
My dairy meal is

Lasagna
Spinach cannelloni
Lasagna
Sea bass
Vegetable tian

Can you post the recipe for maple glazed sweet potatoes?

cbg

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 4:10 pm
I’m making a grilled veggie platter
I broil seperately in a parve oven
Zucchini, Yellow squash, Japanese Eggplant, onion yellow and red, peppers all colors, I might do some asparagus
And a kale salad that has feta cheese sprinkled on top
Layer in a bowl
kale,
quinoa(a little bit)
cucumber cut like moons
Red onion sliced
Yellow pepper diced
Craisins
Feta, just a sprinkle and it’s optional
Toasted pecans
Dressed with oil balsamic vinegar salt sugar

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 4:16 pm
May wrote:
half and half meals for the two day meals (milchig appetizer, fleishig main).

To answer your question OP, I am making sushi salad as a side for the dairy meal.
I really hate being a “Rebitzen” but are you sure that’s ok? As far as I know one is not allowed to eat dairy and meat in the same meal. You can definitely eat meat after dairy - but not at the same meal. If your LOR allows this, great. Mentioning it in case you (or others) aren’t aware of this halacha.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 4:28 pm
amother wrote:
Can you post the recipe for maple glazed sweet potatoes?

Serves 8

4 large sweet potatoes

maple glaze
3 TBSP margarine
1/4 c maple syrup
2 TBSP brown sugar
1/3 c chopped pecans (I am leaving this out)

Preheat oven to 350
Wash sweet potatoes and wrap each in foil. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes, or until soft. Remove from oven and unwrap. Slice each potato across the center. Scoop out flesh, place into a separate bowl, and mash well. Spoon back into skin.
Melt margarine, maple syrup, and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Drizzle over potatoes.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 5:13 pm
amother wrote:
I really hate being a “Rebitzen” but are you sure that’s ok? As far as I know one is not allowed to eat dairy and meat in the same meal. You can definitely eat meat after dairy - but not at the same meal. If your LOR allows this, great. Mentioning it in case you (or others) aren’t aware of this halacha.
we also do this. Obviously we change the tablecloth and dishes in between (and even go a little stroll outside if weather is good )
Oh and my father is a dayan and very makpid on halacha and he always does it too

May

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 7:40 pm
amother wrote:
we also do this. Obviously we change the tablecloth and dishes in between (and even go a little stroll outside if weather is good )
Oh and my father is a dayan and very makpid on halacha and he always does it too

This. I could have written this response word for word. And I'm positive my LOR agrees it's OK Bec he does it too. I've eaten at his home shavous morning and had split meals.

No, we don't bentch in between. We clear off the table, change everything over, wash our mouths and hands, and serve the meat. It's usually a good 15 min break at least.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 9:48 pm
Ok, so then halachically it’s probably not considered the same meal. The way you wrote it, wasn’t obvious there was a break, and in general it is a problem if it’s the same meal.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 9:52 pm
Since we are posting menus Smile :

My milchig menu has been changed a couple of times, but I think we're up to the final version:

Cut up fruit
Cheese blintzes
Zucchini quiche
Baked tilapia (maybe)
sushi salad
baby spinach salad
baked potatoes and sour cream
cheesecake for dessert

goodmorning

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 10:05 pm
It is l'chatchila halachically permissible to eat meat immediately after milchigs in the same meal, as long as three conditions were met: a) hands are clean (visually inspected / washed), b) mouth is cleaned by chewing a non-sticky pareve food and c) mouth is rinsed by drinking water. That's it; no waiting or new brachos required. See SA YD 89:2; see also Mishna Berura 494: 16.

OTOH, it says in the Zohar that one should not meat after milk in the same meal, and many are machmir for that opinion. But it is not strictly required.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 10:38 pm
amother wrote:
Most people are however aware that being rude is not how Jewish women should act.

There are people who are vegetarian and just have fish every single shabbos. You can't come storming in with all your ideas like some kind of imperialist.

^ what she said. quite a few members of my family are vegetarian, so I regularly make milchig shabbos meals. I am FFB, very yeshivish btw if that makes a difference. Shavuos I usually make 3 milchig meals and 1 meal with a fleishig option and a fish option.

There really are different opinions about 'having to' eat meat on shabbos and yomtov. thanks though...

ruby slippers

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 11:22 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
My dairy meal is

Lasagna
Spinach cannelloni
Lasagna
Sea bass
Vegetable tian

what are spinach cannelloni and vegetable tian?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics