Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cost of expanding

amother
Copper

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 4:10 pm
Bought a house about 3 years ago, but have been renting it out while we continue to live in a rental (made sense for us for various reasons).

We are considering to move in to our home this summer. When we bought the house knowing we would want to expand one day, but didn't right away since we were renting it out anyway.

It would technically be ok for a while without expanding, but does it make sense to just do it now before we move in?

We would need to push out the house to add a couple of (small) rooms- any idea (ballpark of course)how much that would cost? obviously I would find a contractor for an exact price etc...

ny area

doctorima

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 4:13 pm
Personally I wouldn't want to move in and then have to move out again during the construction, so if you're planning to do the expansion and can afford it now, I would just get it done with while you stay in your current rental, then move in once and for all once it's finished.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 4:37 pm
we did it before we moved in because I didn't want to move in and then out and I am sensitive to dust, paint etc... so wouldn't want to live in it while it's being done.
We ended up selling it and moving to a different community before we technically needed the additional space but we made a profit so it was worth it Wink

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 5:30 pm
You might want to draw a simple sketch and show it to a few contractors.

You might not need to move out to add a few small rooms on the main level — if that's all you need to do. Nevertheless, it will still be easier before you move in.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, May 13 2018, 6:45 pm
NY area is too general and vague for
Anyone to even throw you a number. Also a couple small rooms - how many sq. ft. ? Bathroom, kitchen?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics