Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is this normal?
Previous  1  2

amother
Copper

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 3:07 pm
I agree with what everyone else said. In addition, if you do not want to provide kitchen type amenities, you may consider providing her with a space (drawer or box) to keep some of her own kitchen supplies. I work in a corporate office and we are provided hot/cold water, tea, coffee, creamer, sugar and cups. They do not provide forks/spoons/plates/straws... So my department has a drawer in a filing cabinet that we all chip in to keep fully stocked.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:
I technically can, but we are talking about someone who works very part time, around 12-14 hours a week .. .there is a bathroom that has both wipes and tissues so if one runs out one day there is always the other for that day. Neither of my other workers even bring food with them, or ever need anything. This isn't a regular office setting where employees are working 8-9 hours a day and need amenities

Ok, we get that this isn't a typical corporate office, but you *must* put an extra roll of toilet paper in the employees' bathroom. Your attitude comes across as cheap to an extreme.

There is no need to provide anything else (I am working with the assumption that there are tissues in the bathroom), although hot water would be a nice gesture.

Just call a brief meeting and explain that you would like to keep your home separate from the business, and that employees no longer have access to private areas. It might be slightly awkward, but that's what leadership requires.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 3:56 pm
OP, I was thinking about you this morning as I prepared my breakfast and my employee came in to ask me a question. But it's different.

1. She's been working for me for about 15 years and is like a member of the family.
2. If she doesn't see me in the living room/kitchen she would never go hunting all over the house.
3. I often offer her a hot drink if she has a cold for example, but she never accepts.
4. I do think 3-4 hours is long enough for someone to need a drink or snack, although my staff do bring their own I would have no problem if, for example, they forgot to bring a spoon for their yogurt and asked me for one.

Or, if they bring along a child once in a while, the child goes to my kitchen to wash for his sandwich (okay, in that case, if he had fever, I am not thrilled...)

5. I would rather they ask me the question and be able to complete the task than get stuck with a pile of incomplete work.

6. All my staff work mornings only so I have my privacy the rest of the day.

However, of course if you feel like you need your privacy, you need to set up the rules. It's more difficult later than if you set them up in the first place, but I am sure it can be done.

But I do agree that it would be courteous to provide some basic supplies, including a couple of extra boxes of tissues in the bathroom. No, I don't think employees should have to provide their own tissues... In addition to courtesy, it's just smart business sense, if an employee does good work, to do what it takes (within reason) to keep them happy.

shiaeisen

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 5:03 pm
amother wrote:
I have an office in my home with 3 employees, who each work mostly during different hours so they are each usually alone when working. Until recently the office was in a room in middle of my home, with no real separation between office and home. Every time this employee had a question she would walk through the whole house to find me and ask me, and I would constantly find her in my kitchen just taking a spoon, or a cup of water, or looking for a snack in my pantry. Recently we added a wing to the house for the office and there is a door with a lock separating it from the house. Even though the door is usually locked, in the event anyone forgets to lock it, she still walks in to look for me when I have a question, and still constantly asks me for water, utensils, ice, etc. Once when I wasn't home she asked me where I Hide the key to get inside because she needs tissues. It drives me absolutely crazy... I can't stand that sometimes I'm walking around in pjs without hair covered in the morning and she will just barge in if the door isn't locked. My husband usually is but what if he wants to walk into the kitchen in boxers one day and she just decides to walk in unannounced. I also don't think I have to provide her with drinks and places etc.... if she worked in an office building wouldn't she need to bring her own stuff? Why does she assume it's normal to ask me?? I'm not sure if I'm the one being unrealistic here since it it technically is in my house, or if she is totally lacking tact and social cues. She only works for 3-4 hours a day.

Set boundaries and lay down rules: business takes place only in the business area, and the home is private for family where no employees may enter. If she needs to ask u something, she should call. Period.

simcha2

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 5:44 pm
You are her boss, this means helping her grow professionally even when giving her feedback may be uncomfortable for you.

"Ploni, you've been working here for a while. I'm very happy with your work. (Give specific examples).

There are a couple of housekeeping items I wanted to review. The office is the office. If I'm not there and you need me please call me on my cell, even if I'm in the house."

And yes, the should be some toilet paper and a stock of bottles of water.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics