Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Rosh Chodesh- Do you do something special?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 7:45 am
A gutten Chodesh everyone! Because Rosh Chodesh often falls out on a weekday , so many of us busy people forget that it's a special day. What do you or your families do on Rosh Chodesh to celebrate this special day?

My DH makes sure to wash for breakfast , lunch and supper so that he needs to bentch and say yaaleh v'yavo.
He usually buys me breakfast on Rosh Chodesh together with a danish.
We then buy a special dessert to give out at dinner time to the kids, in honor of Rosh Chodesh. Sometimes we take the family out to eat for dinner at a restaurant. I guess we celebrate it with special foods and extras. What do you do?

egam

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 7:50 am
We usually make BBQ dinner on Rosh Chodesh.

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 7:57 am
No. I only saw it a thing recently. My grandparents etc didn't relate either.

mrsjay

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 8:23 am
I know this older woman who buys herself a new piece of clothing every Rosh chodesh!

amother
Black

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 8:26 am
I let my kids choose a specialty item from the bakery. This is how I grew up & in keeping up the tradition. Also if the ice cream truck comes Rosh Chodesh I let the kids get.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 8:32 am
When the kids were little, they had no homework on rosg chodesh, so we used to go out for pizza. Now we try to have a special supper, whether in or out.

bargainlover

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:38 am
We did bagels for breakfast and will have donuts after supper later.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:43 am
Work like a dog and buy pancakes for my husband Cool

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:46 am
Get slurpees for the kids. Though now they get their own. And as we'd pull out of 7-11 I'd say, iy"H next month may we have a korbon instead/to go with/we'll find out then.
I try not to wear denim or feel too shlumpy.
When the boys were little it was a big thing to wear a white shirt.

shevi82

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 10:27 am
mrsjay wrote:
I know this older woman who buys herself a new piece of clothing every Rosh chodesh!

I like that! I think this will be my new minhag. Very Happy
I usally buy the kids ice cream or pizza.

ahuvah4

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 10:42 am
We play a game, every rosh chodesh the one in charge chooses the game. ( youngest to oldest everyone has a chance) so one month it could be memory game because the 6 yr old decided. And one time monopoly cuz 12 yr old wanted. Everyone plays. If you're not happy with the game, you'll have your chance to chose next time. We play rummy, perpetual commotion. 5 second rule game. Boggle. Uno...

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 10:57 am
ahuvah4 wrote:
We play a game, every rosh chodesh the one in charge chooses the game. ( youngest to oldest everyone has a chance) so one month it could be memory game because the 6 yr old decided. And one time monopoly cuz 12 yr old wanted. Everyone plays. If you're not happy with the game, you'll have your chance to chose next time. We play rummy, perpetual commotion. 5 second rule game. Boggle. Uno...

That sounds like such a nice family moment.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days