Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
RIP, Tom Wolfe

Fox

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:03 pm
Tom Wolfe, possibly one of the most important writers of the late 20th century, died at the age of 88.

If you're not familiar with his work, start with a book of essays called Hooking Up that was published in 2000. The essays are short enough for a sleep-deprived mom to read but are incredibly rich. They include . . .

My Three Stooges, an essay that explains why so many novels today are so awful -- something recently discussed on Imamother.

The New Yorker Affair, a reprint of Wolfe's famous 1965 take-down of The New Yorker, which is weirdly as accurate today as it was then.

Ambush at Fort Bragg, a short story that studies the hypocrisy of the journalistic elite, a full 15 years before anyone had started braying about fake news.

In the Land of the Rococo Marxists, he does the same thing to the academic elite, similarly pre-dating Trump and MAGA.

Or if you prefer fiction, A Man in Full and Back to Blood are both good. He was better known for Bonfire of the Vanities and The Right Stuff, but the former two, IMHO, would be more appealing to Imamother readers.

Just be careful. When I was reading another of his novels, I Am Charlotte Simmons, I got so immersed that I overshot the Newark Airport train station and wound up in Princeton!

Maya

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 4:37 pm
I read The Painted Word.

I’m all for humor and I can appreciate that, but extreme cynicism is something else. His sentences are nicely crafted but all that mockery made me a little uncomfortable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room