Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much extra money did you spend besides home cost?

miracleshappen

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 8:27 pm
To all people who have bought homes, just curious how much money you spent after purchasing the home/closing costs on stuff like furnishings, minor repairs/renovation (I'm not talking about if you bought a fixer upper)

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 8:30 pm
Are you asking how much was spent over a number of years or right after purchasing?

miracleshappen

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 8:30 pm
Right after purchasing

Shoshana37

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 8:40 pm
Renovation little touch ups and changed all the doors around the house $12k. We spent about 10k on all new furniture. Then after 6 months we had a leak in our bedroom and we needed to fix the roof we could have just patch it up but we were told our roof has to be changed with in 2 years so we spent another 20k on the roof (50 year warranty). Fortunately for me I was able to take it out of my retirement funds $25k then the remaining 5k we used to fix the whole basement. Absolutely no regrets.
that was 3 years ago this year we fixed our back door and steps and new awning $3,500.
Next year we will fix all our windows Bh

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 8:55 pm
Moving costs: $1500
Some electrical work: $1,000
New Kitchen completely redone including appliances : $12,000
We did not paint or scrape.
We painted some rooms ourselves after living there for a few months. it was around $45 for the paint for each room
Floors have not been done yet
Window treatments came with the house. I had to purchase blinds for my kitchen after it was done, in Home Depot for about $100
Light fixtures and LED bulbs (to save in electricity) were purchased.
Every time I got a holiday bonus at work I put it towards home decor, such as end tables, curtains, throws for the couch, plants, etc.
We do a lot of upgrades on our own. A painter wanted to charge us $4,000 for the main floor. We painted almost all the rooms ourselves so far the paint job cost us $250 in paint and supplies.
Less than a year after we moved we needed a new hot water tank. It was about $1,000
We installed central air 3 yrs later . In the meantime we lived with AC only in our dining room.
We purchased a lawn mower for $250 to cut our own grass
A few years later we purchased a leaf blower, and a trimmer .
We do all are purchases in baby steps.
Last year we had a gardener reseed the grass in the front and back for $500
New shower head, $40
Shower curtains, bath mats etc were all first cheap $2 items until I had money to upgrade on nicer and more expensive.
Our house felt so nice to me but with each upgrade it gets nicer. It's never ending. There is always something to maintain, decorate , or upgrade. Slowly but surely we have been making improvements. We moved in here 3 1/2 yes ago .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics