Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Are second hand books unhygenic?
1  2  Next

hannah22

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 2:07 pm
I ordered a book on amazon second hand but a new one was not available.

When it arrived I saw that it was stained on several pages. And my friend just told me she never uses libraries because of the fact that the books have been used by so many people in their homes and are probably dirty and possibly carrying germs.

What do you think? I normally do buy new books but this was a one off, now I'm thinking I'll only buy new from now on.

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 2:14 pm
I buy almost only non new, but good condition if possible.

tichellady

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 2:17 pm
Everything has bacteria on it. Bacteria is part of life. I wouldn’t eat the second hand book but am fine reading it ( it’s probably a lot cleaner than your cell phone)

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 2:20 pm
I use library books but they do gross me out. I clean the covers with hand sanitizer when I bring them home, and I have rules about where they can be put (ie. not on my pillow!)

enjoying kids

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 2:21 pm
Haven't died yet Smile

Debbie

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 2:23 pm
I can't help but wonder what the difference is between a second hand book, and a Siddur or Chumash used from the shelf in a Shul, they have also been handled by quite a few people who have germs.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 2:29 pm
I almost always buy second hand. one particular book I was really grossed out by the cover so I just covered it with a piece of wrapping paper.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jun 10 2018, 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Teomima

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 2:33 pm
It never even occurred to me to be bothered by this. I grew up in libraries. I'm a book worm and could only ever afford books from a used book store. I often borrow books from friends (and lend them mine in return). It's rather rare that I ever read a fresh, new book. I have not once been able to trace any illness or cold to physical contact with a used book. I really wouldn't worry about it, if I were you.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 2:39 pm
Consider this - I have yet to see a public health warning on a second hand book store.

Reselling books has been around since the beginning of writing (or maybe just afterward, lol). I haven't heard of any fatalities yet.

Of all the things in the world to be worried about with germs, books never even crossed my mind! I'd be a lot more worried about doorknobs.

Oh, and when you pass other people's mezuzot, do you actually touch them with your bare skin? Do you run and wash your hands afterward?

observer

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 2:40 pm
Debbie wrote:
I can't help but wonder what the difference is between a second hand book, and a Siddur or Chumash used from the shelf in a Shul, they have also been handled by quite a few people who have germs.

That's true, but at least they stay in the shul. Whereas library books in all likelihood have been kept in people's bathrooms etc.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 2:58 pm
It doesn't bother me, but I did notice that some of the librarians at my library actually wear gloves when handling the books.

Debbie

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 2:59 pm
observer wrote:
That's true, but at least they stay in the shul. Whereas library books in all likelihood have been kept in people's bathrooms etc.

That reminds me of the time I was reading a library book in the bath, and dropped it in the water; I guess the book was clean at least; from what I recall there was no toilet in the bathroom, so fewer germs!

MiracleMama

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 3:01 pm
Debbie wrote:

Probably nothing. But I don't curl up in bed with a siddur or chumash from shul. I feel strongly about not wanting anything dirty or germy in my bed so I just buy all new books and skip the library. I am happy to pass the books on to others when done.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 3:08 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Oh, and when you pass other people's mezuzot, do you actually touch them with your bare skin? Do you run and wash your hands afterward?

Actually, yes.

I either do an "almost" touch, or if I do touch, I wash/sanitize my hands immediately.

emzod42

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 3:42 pm
I don't think germs live on surfaces that long. At any rate, even new books are handled by people before you get them.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 3:50 pm
Do you know how filthy money is?

thelioness

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 3:51 pm
They are unhygienic if you are OCD. It's a book. You are not supposed to eat it. Are flowers unhygenic? How about money? What about your groceries, all those workers handled them, you don't know if they washed the if hands after the bathroom. And don't touch anyone's cell phone, those have most likely been inin the bathroom aND weren't washed.

If it looks like someone dragged it through a sewer I wouldn't read it. I don't think bacteria can live on a book that long without dying btw.

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 3:53 pm
I think it’s a little neurotic to worry about it, honestly. Or it never even crossed my mind so I’m convincing myself it’s neurotic. Either way, I’m going to keep reading library books and not worrying about it.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 4:12 pm
amother wrote:
Do you know how filthy money is?

Yes, everyone knows that. Along with doorknobs, ATMs, subway ticket machines, and anything else that is touched by multiple people.

That's why people wash their hands after touching all those things.

Books, however, people don't think about as much, PLUS it comes into your house, you put it down on the couch, table, bed. When you think about where it's been, it really is gross.

amother
Red

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 4:31 pm
I put money down on my couch table & bed. Oh well.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics