Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
How do you screen your childs non Jewish books
1  2  3  Next

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 6:37 pm
My DS loves to read. He mainly reads non-fiction adult books. Any of the teen series would be way too juvenile for him. He did enjoy The Hunger Games series. Usually when I finish a book he reads it after. This is how I have been screening his books BUT he just asked me to order a bunch of books that I have absolutely no interest in reading. I read the online reviews and they seem "safe" enough but I don't think adult reviews usually mention if a book has lots of cursing and relations. I found one website with "clean reads" but it didn't seem like a very thorough database. Topics he is interested in reading are about people who climbed mountains, survived plane crashes etc and historical fiction. Seems safe right but what if they meet a girl on the trail and things get hot and heavy. That is what I am trying to avoid.
Is quickly glancing through the books once they arrive enough? I would be ok with an occasional bad word or some violence..
What do you do? I know this is why some people only allow Jewish books but that is not going to happen with this one.

animeme

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 6:41 pm
Common Sense Media is pretty thorough with the books they review. You can see if they have the books you need.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 6:47 pm
Common Sense Media as suggested above. Also, as a big historical fiction lover, I can tell you right off the bat, the ones that aren't written for middle schoolers have a lot of zex going on. It's amazing how much of world history was influenced by who was sleeping with whom...

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 6:47 pm
Keep in mind we all have different standards. What a secular site will say is appropriate may still not be appropriate for you.
I have to read the books first. Most often I found something inappropriate . There are also times where I'd allow my 17 yr old to read books that I don't allow my 12 yr old to read. But I check my 17 yr olds books too. He also makes requests based on teachers recommendations and classmates recommendations. But for the most part I take out books written by frum authors from the library when I don't have the time or patience to screen books.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 6:49 pm
Fantasy and science fiction are a lot safer. Maybe steer him towards that genre. That’s what my dad did for my brothers.

Gerbera

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 6:51 pm
As a librarian who works in a community with many yeshivish patrons I would highly recommend Common Sense Media as mentioned above. If he is reading mostly non fiction that's probably not the most helpful. Do you want to list some of the books he is interested in?

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 6:57 pm
amother wrote:
Fantasy and science fiction are a lot safer. Maybe steer him towards that genre. That’s what my dad did for my brothers.

There are myriad other issues with that genre, and not much to gain - whereas the books OP describes have actual useful info.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 7:04 pm
Off the bat it sounds like you son would love Gary paulsen’s book they are all survival and really clean. I used to teach 6 th grade boys and read his books with them and they loved them. Doesn’t answer your question but would be a shame for him to miss them.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 7:12 pm
I really on the school library a lot.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 7:59 pm
He has actually read all of Gary Paulsons books and loved them including the western ones which I ripped a few pages out of since w#*re houses is where I draw the line. He even read Paulsons autobiography. He is past White Fang, Old Yeller etc. Any other suggestions Oak?

The books he wants me to order are
Island of the Lost
Vanished (this one is about missing works war 2 soldiers)
Escape from Davao
The Stranger in the woods (about a hermit who ran away from society and lived in the woods).

He read and enjoyed Killing Lincoln.

I imagine the only people reading these books are ex military historical buffs over the age of 50 😉.
None had reviews on Commonsense Media. I checked.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 9:31 pm
My brother enjoyed some James Michener books at that age. He wrote nonfiction books about the history of states such as Alaska and Hawaii. I don't know if you would need to censor them but it's worth looking into.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 9:55 pm
Excellent suggestion regarding James Michener.Going to order Alaska or The Bridge at Andau.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 10:09 am
The Stranger in the Woods is a beautifully written book. As far as I remember, nothing bad in it. I think it does mention that the character had no girlfriends but I'm pretty sure it was in the context of describing his life, not detailing a relationship or lack thereof. Definitely recommend.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 10:12 am
Can you read them first?

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 10:32 am
amother wrote:
Can you read them first?

Yes and it seems like I may have to but I really don’t want to!

rikki 1

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 11:07 am
I just read Stranger in the Woods last week and it was clean, as far as I remember.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 11:19 am
Wow, maybe I will read Stranger in the Woods!

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 12:03 pm
How old is this child? Are you screening because he asked you to?

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 12:20 pm
amother wrote:
He has actually read all of Gary Paulsons books and loved them including the western ones which I ripped a few pages out of since w#*re houses is where I draw the line. He even read Paulsons autobiography. He is past White Fang, Old Yeller etc. Any other suggestions Oak?

The books he wants me to order are
Island of the Lost
Vanished (this one is about missing works war 2 soldiers)
Escape from Davao
The Stranger in the woods (about a hermit who ran away from society and lived in the woods).

He read and enjoyed Killing Lincoln.

I imagine the only people reading these books are ex military historical buffs over the age of 50 😉.
None had reviews on Commonsense Media. I checked.

If he enjoyed Killing Lincoln, Bill O’Reilly has written a slew of historical fiction.

https://www.billoreilly.com/mo.....D=593

Orchid

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 1:28 pm
(This doesn't answer your question, but about historical fiction in general) I love some of Avi's books. City of Orphans. True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. The Crispin Trilogy is fantastic! (nothing at all inappropriate except the underlying theme of the main character being a secret bastard child of the count. The act that produced that child is not in the story, but it's obviously implied and the whole story is based on this point).
Also My Brother Sam is Dead is fantastic and nothing inappropriate in it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children