Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Robocalls. Make them stop!!!

mommyla

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 6:28 pm
(Not sure which forum this goes in, was contemplating Issues of Concern or Mental Health, but didn't want to seem too dramatic LOL )

The frum robocall thing is waaaaaay out of control. I can't stand it anymore. Just today I had three that started with the sound of a baby crying in my ear. Three times! And then everything that follows is in Yiddish. I don't speak Yiddish. Plus a few others, also mostly in Yiddish.

There is no button to push to connect to an operator. You cannot call the number, you just get the same horrible recording. I don't know what organizations they're calling from or what they want from me. And they come from regular NY and NJ phone numbers, and I work from home and often get calls that are ACTUALLY IMPORTANT from unfamiliar numbers. And they call at the worst possible times!

I'm already on the do-not-call list. Please tell me if you've found some way to make them stop because I am going out of my mind At wits end

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 6:30 pm
Me too!

Stars

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 6:35 pm
Same here. I've learnt to recognize those calls at the first beat, so I hang up the phone without wasting anyone's time. The ones that annoy me most are the ones where they pretend to be a real person and actually trick me for five seconds longer.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 6:37 pm
Lol 😂 I was just telling my husband how annoying it was that the baby screached into my ear twice. I do speak yidish but I was so annoyed that I didn't even listen to the recording.

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 6:38 pm
Same here! They call at least 3 or 4 times a day. I just hang up the minute they start talking.

mommyla

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 6:43 pm
I do hang up right away, but sometimes I'm on another call, or on the other end of the house, or in middle of something... it's the running to get the phone and then realizing it's ANOTHER one of those that gets me mad.

Arrrrrrrggghhhh someone please say you have a solution? Pretty please? Very Happy

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 6:52 pm
What I think is really ridiculous is that companies keep wasting their money on robocalls. I think we all hang up right away, and if I happen to catch the name of the company calling, they lose points in my eyes.

bestme

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 7:04 pm
I found them also super annoying. I realized that most of my phone calls every day are these types of calls. The most annoying ones are the calls that come on Friday before candle lighting time. I once donated money to one phone call that was from an important organization. I realized that if I donate on the phone then I am encouraging them to continue calling so I never again donated money to a phone call even from an organization that I believe in supporting. I also noticed that many of these calls it will say on the caller ID a name of a city so I stopped picking up calls that say a name of a city. I do miss some important phone calls that also say the name of a city but very few. I wish there was a way to stop it.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 7:31 pm
No solution here. equally annoyed. I jump up when I nurse the baby or off a ladder when trying to get s/t from high up etc. all thinking its the VERY important call I'm waiting for...
what I did do though is put a callblock on my cordless so @ least it doesn't ring more than once.

so today, was waiting for a call back from a doctors office & ran the first second I heard the phone & almost dropped it into soup- & then it stopped ringing... I wish it wouldn't even ring when I do the call block. oh well, its not a perfect solution Exploding anger

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jun 10 2018, 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Bluesky 1

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 7:35 pm
Op, I could write your post word for word. It's is so ridiculous that they do such ridiculous stuff. The telemarketing situation is going out of hand. I wish there was a way to stop this. Let complain to billdeblasio. Can he do something? Can we call the politicians? Maybe the ones in New Jersey or New York will do something.

The crying baby one is absolutely stupid. So now that the baby is crying in my ear they think ok, I'll give them money? Not sure what they r thinking

gilamom

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 7:40 pm
I really wish it would stop and what makes me really mad is I think the school is the one who gives out our numbers and addresses to these organizations without our permission. My kids school is the only place that spells my name in a strange way, not that I care but I mention it because my name on all the tzedakah letters I receive have that same spelling! I've never seen it that way from anyone else.

cla

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 7:51 pm
I recently bought a new set of cordless handsets that have a "call block" button on them. I can block any number that I find annoying. I'm not sure how effective it is in the long run because the numbers always change, but at least there's something I feel I can do to control the situation.

mommyla

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 7:57 pm
The call block thing sounds cool, I wonder if I can do that. I've noticed some repeat offender numbers. Thanks for the suggestions and commiseration!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 9:01 pm
I keep getting calls from 347 area code 'regarding your electricity bill." I finally just stopped picking up and figured if someone is really trying to reach me they'll leave a message. The calls finally seem to have stopped BH

amother
Peach

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 9:42 pm
7186822052 comes up as Staten Island, NY. I blocked this #. This number calls very often.
84595111779 this # was added to my call block today.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jun 10 2018, 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 9:48 pm
They have technology to stop the calls called stir/shaken being rolled out. Both carriers need to use it. It is only available in the US.

seeker

Post Thu, May 17 2018, 11:02 pm
I keep getting calls from the car insurance/credit card/etc scammers coming from 347 numbers. I know too many real people with 347 to just ignore all of them. But I did notice that a lot of the numbers resemble mine in the first few digits. So I started ignoring numbers that are similar to mine. Still a huge hassle when you start fishing for your phone and interrupting what you're doing... it's gotten a little better since I started blocking the numbers but that's also a hassle especially since the numbers change so often, and it still hasn't STOPPED.

A creepy number of automated telemarketers use the name Heather. I have two different Heather friends and after enough of those calls I keep feeling like I should just tell them their name is now ruined forever, and I will probably hang up if they ever call me.

Boca00

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 12:01 pm
seeker wrote:
I keep getting calls from the car insurance/credit card/etc scammers coming from 347 numbers. I know too many real people with 347 to just ignore all of them. But I did notice that a lot of the numbers resemble mine in the first few digits. So I started ignoring numbers that are similar to mine. Still a huge hassle when you start fishing for your phone and interrupting what you're doing... it's gotten a little better since I started blocking the numbers but that's also a hassle especially since the numbers change so often, and it still hasn't STOPPED.

A creepy number of automated telemarketers use the name Heather. I have two different Heather friends and after enough of those calls I keep feeling like I should just tell them their name is now ruined forever, and I will probably hang up if they ever call me.

Was it Heather from account services by any chance?

Also, can't they get fined if they call you and you are not the no-call list?

Rosemarie

Post Fri, May 18 2018, 1:39 pm
seeker wrote:

The problem with blocking these numbers is that those are not the numbers they are actually calling from. They use some computer system to spoof a number that is similar to yours, same area code... This way you will think it's someone real. But in reality, that number really belongs to a real person, they are just using it as their caller ID. I once called them out on it and she told me it's not true and that I can call her back on the number on my called ID, that it will go directly to her. Guess what, I hung up and called the number on my ID, and some random heimish lady picked up. I apologized for the wrong number. But that just proves that they are spoofing numbers. Which means if you block all the numbers they ever call from, you may end up blocking someone that at some point actually tried calling you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics