Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Milk and soy allergy

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 7:02 am
Wht are other options for a toddler with what seems to be an allergy to milk and soy? What else can I give? He doesn’t get a bottle. I need something to be able to give him as a drink or with cereal or to make chocolate milk with. Is there a yogurt alternative? We tried the soy yogurt but that didn’t go over well either so that’s why I’m figuring the allergy is there too. I had an older child with the same thing around the same age and he outgrew it. But he didn’t have a problem with soy. This one is suffering so badly. He loves shoko and plain milk. Not to mention he is addicted to yogurt and will cry his eyes out for it. If t was up to him, he would only live off of yogurt.

So now what do I offer? Any ideas?

Teomima

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 7:27 am
If the dairy allergy is lactose intolerance, try chewable lactase tablets. As for milk, that's easy. Try almond, rice, coconut, hazelnut, etc. milks.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 7:37 am
There is lactose in soy? Isn’t it a protein allegory when kids are allergic to both? I maybe confusing it was th something else. I tried on him coconut and he wasn’t a fan. I’ll look to try the almond and hazelnut.

Can a toddler take those tablets? He’s only a year and a half.

Teomima

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 7:50 am
amother wrote:
There is lactose in soy? Isn’t it a protein allegory when kids are allergic to both? I maybe confusing it was th something else. I tried on him coconut and he wasn’t a fan. I’ll look to try the almond and hazelnut.

Can a toddler take those tablets? He’s only a year and a half.

No lactose in soy.
I took the tablets and drops as a toddler. Of course, that was forever ago. Just check the box in the pharmacy and see what ages it says.
I don't know a lot about allergies, but I'd assume you'd see a protein allergy in more than just dairy (or dairy-type) products. Soy is in a LOT of things, does he react to everything with soy? Has he been actually tested?

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 7:59 am
He hasn’t been tested. I see it seems to be based on amount he eats. He can drink a quarter cup of straight milk and be fine. But any more or any amount of yogurt or soy yogurt, effects him within 20 mins (pizza too). I don’t find it with any other products but off hand I can’t think of anything else that contains soy in it.

Teomima

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 8:12 am
A lot of processed food has soy (chicken nuggets, hot dogs, etc). It's not just in the obvious places. Even Bissli has soy.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 9:33 am
So that might be why I rarely run into it. I don’t usually serve any of those. We have hotdogs maybe once every two months. I never noticed a reaction to them though. He also doesn’t like anything breaded so I can’t serve nuggets or fish sticks or the like either Rolling Eyes

He doesn’t have enough teeth for bissli he only just go in his a molar on each side so there is still gaps there LOL but he does occasionally eat Cheetos I’m sure those are terrible for you too.

My older one I took off dairy for 6 months and then eased him back and he was totally fine. He lived off bamba and blueberries bec that was all I could get him to switch to for breakfast. I guess I will do the same with this one. I see he is completely fine on the days he doesn’t have any dairy. I even buy that less lactose milk - the 2% one, but it doesn’t help at all.

Pancakes for breakfast it is tomorrow...
Need more breakfast options, he’s sick and tired of eggs. He now just throws them down.

Also need to step up my game on clearing breakfast from the other kids, or reminding the ones they don’t clear theirs. He knows how to climb chairs and plays goldy locks, finishing everyone’s bowls. LOL

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 6:28 pm
Vanilla coconut yogurt tastes better than soy. But be informed that it barely contains protein or calcium. It's a substitute for the taste, not for nutrition.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 8:26 pm
I would test him for allergies before giving almond milk unless you never noticed a reaction to tree nuts

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 9:18 pm
I give my baby who is allergic to dairy rice dream . They also make yogurt with coconut milk

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 21 2018, 10:21 pm
I know about the coconut yogurt but I think that’s only in the states. I’ve never seen it in israel.

He’s not allergic to teee nuts because he’s had already.

Also a good point brought up - what can I do about the nutritional aspect? He doesnt take any vitamins, although I was doing probiotics for a while.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 4:37 am
I give almond yogurts. My kids love them. They couldn't stand the coconut or soy. (They have no allergies bh)
I use rice dream as.well.

http://www.dreamplantbased.com.....lain/

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 5:25 am
Almond milk is most similar in taste to regular milk
Btw- it’s not an allergy rather a food sensitivity ( it can be dangerous, even life threatening for an allergic person to eat food he’s allergic to)

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 6:10 am
amother wrote:
Almond milk is most similar in taste to regular milk
Btw- it’s not an allergy rather a food sensitivity ( it can be dangerous, even life threatening for an allergic person to eat food he’s allergic to)

Erm, how exactly do you know that? Someone with an allergy can have "non dangerous" reactions too. Although they can escalate and become dangerous suddenly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics