Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
ISO Easiest, cheapest way to earn my BA-
1  2  Next

hanna2010

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 12:20 pm
I'm in my 40's and interested in pursuing a masters in art therapy.
I only have approx 40 credits towards my BA if sem credits are accepted.
I'm looking for info on the cheapest, easiest way to earn credit quickly.
It seems like there are so many options out there and I don't know how to navigate.
Anyone out there who's recently done this.
Thanks in advance!

CDL

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 12:26 pm
Thomas Edison. A state college in NJ so cheap tuition if you live there.

seeker

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 12:52 pm
Check if the masters program you want has any BA requirements.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 12:55 pm
My mother did a program designed for adult learners. It was a year and a half and one night a week. Everyone was over 25. She got her BA when she turned 50. google to see if something like that exists where you live.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 12:58 pm
I just did this, so I have lots of information - you can PM me if you have specific questions.

TTI partners with Excelsior to be able to get a really quick degree in - I think it's a BA in Liberal Arts - Judaic Studies.

I went through Thomas Edison. It's somewhat cheaper, but it may be a bit harder and take longer. You would have to take secular courses, though, at least AFAIK, so you would have to be ok with that.

seeker

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 1:03 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I just did this, so I have lots of information - you can PM me if you have specific questions.

TTI partners with Excelsior to be able to get a really quick degree in - I think it's a BA in Liberal Arts - Judaic Studies.

I went through Thomas Edison. It's somewhat cheaper, but it may be a bit harder and take longer. You would have to take secular courses, though, at least AFAIK, so you would have to be ok with that.

If she's going for a degree in art therapy she must be prepared to not only take secular courses, but to take probably whole semesters of the exact type of secular psychobabble that turned people off of secular colleges in the first place decades ago. Therapy in general has gotten a lot more scientific and perhaps even more parve, but the history of art therapy is very Freudian so I imagine a degree in it will include a lot of that background.

Wouldn't stop me from pursuing a degree that I want, but just saying.

icebreaker

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 1:08 pm
Do you live in NYC? Maybe you can try a CUNY?

Mommyg8

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 1:08 pm
seeker wrote:
If she's going for a degree in art therapy she must be prepared to not only take secular courses, but to take probably whole semesters of the exact type of secular psychobabble that turned people off of secular colleges in the first place decades ago. Therapy in general has gotten a lot more scientific and perhaps even more parve, but the history of art therapy is very Freudian so I imagine a degree in it will include a lot of that background.

Wouldn't stop me from pursuing a degree that I want, but just saying.

If she wants a degree in Psychology through either Excelsior or Thomas Edison, study.com would be a great way to get a degree cheaply and quickly. Also, there is a program that you can get cleps for free - so between cleps and study, she can probably piece together a full degree.

hanna2010

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 1:39 pm
Thanks for all the responses. I am not in the tri state area.
I am ok with secular courses.
From what I've been hearing, ITT is very expensive.
I have a list of prerequisites to get into the program I want. I would like to include as many of them as possible in my BA.
I would like to Clep whatever I can easily. Also, my local community college is not expensive and has fairly easy courses, however I'm not sure they'll accept my 20+ sem credits.

What seems overwhelming for me is knowing how to pull all the pieces together. I feel like I would like to work with one place who can tell me exactly what and how to do it.
Make sense?

Mommyg8

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 1:58 pm
Assuming that your local community college does not give a BA, then it is not relevant if they accept your sem credits. Both Thomas Edison and Excelsior probably do accept those credits, and they are the only colleges (besides for Charter Oak) where you can get a BA cheaply and easily.

You can take your prereq's in your local community college, but it is probably cheaper and easier to get them through study.com, if they have them (and they probably do). Study.com is $200 a month for two classes, and an extra $70 a month for each extra class. I think that you only get Pass/Fail with them, so if you do need grades, you are probably better off going to your community college.

My degree will probably be costing me around $3000. I think that it might be more now, but there is no cheaper option, AFAIK.

Another interesting option is WGU. They're also a pass/fail college, and if you can get FAFSA then it would probably cover most of the cost. It is also pretty quick.

Another interesting option that I have noticed is Columbia College (online). There might be other colleges, but this is one that I looked into - if you have FAFSA, it would cover the cost, and you only need to take 30 credits with them in order to graduate.

Both WGU or another online college might come out cheaper then Excelsior or Thomas Edison if you have FAFSA.

OutATowner

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 2:08 pm
EEC degrees. BA is through Excelsior. After extensive research I can almost guarantee you that they are the cheapest and most efficient. Pm me if you want more info.

BasMelech120

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 10:30 pm
I am struck by how you are looking for the 'easiest' way to earn your degree.

If you are planning on doing something as important and therapeutic as Art Therapy, would you not need to do the work all the way, the 'hard' way? Treating people is not just a simple task, something you can train for easily and quickly.

Your future clients deserve a therapist who is fully committed to doing her work, being invested in this work, and being aware of the depth that this profession is.

OutATowner

Post Tue, May 22 2018, 10:37 pm
BasMelech, that is very true. But now those very important classes are given at a masters level. A BA is just a stepping stone to that. My friend says that her BA program 10 years ago is what a masters is now. Many professionals I spoke to agreed. I plan on going to a reputable, on site masters ptogram to learn the actual skill.
I know a girl in a Syracuse who said that this past semester she worked so hard and nothing she learned was applicable to her field. She is going to a 4 year brick and mortar college and still only expects to have her relevant classes in the 4th year the earliest.

seeker

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 1:26 am
Yeah if you're going for an intensive and highly specific masters level profession, no reason to sweat any more than you need to over the BA, presuming you have basic worldly knowledge and skills already.

spring chick

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 8:18 am
If your in the NY area deff call EEC Degrees. They are soo helpful! Both my daughters went thru EEC and I plan on getting my degree thru them as well.
It's a frum program that will accept many of your previous credits.
The program is entirely on your own schedule so that really worked out for my kids

You will graduate from Excelsior College.

The number is 718-252-4649

OutATowner

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 10:52 am
Spring chick, I'm not in NY and bH it's working out very well. So glad it worked out for your daughters.
I think credits expire after 10 years. No sure if it's still true.

watergirl

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 11:33 am
OutATowner wrote:
Spring chick, I'm not in NY and bH it's working out very well. So glad it worked out for your daughters.

I recently finished my BA that I started in 2000. Credits dont expire.

OP, I went through a school that accepts judaic/seminary credits and shepherds you through Thomas Edison and also community college. They also have clepping but I only clepped 1 class. Pm me if you’d like me to tell you the name of the school.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 11:37 am
OutATowner wrote:

Technology credits expire, I think. Most other credits don't expire, but it does depend on the school.

There are three colleges that accept ace and nccrs credits - Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak. Thomas Edison used to be the cheapest option, but that has now changed and I think that Excelsior and Thomas Edison are now similarly priced. These are the only three colleges that do this.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 11:48 am
Check out Western Governors University

Mommyg8

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 12:26 pm
IYamWhoIYam wrote:
Check out Western Governors University

Yes, I quoted this earlier in my post - WGU is Western Governor's University. It is going to be almost free if you have FAFSA, I think. And it's quick as well.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics