Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to Manchster
1  2  Next

amother
Purple

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 6:51 am
We are seriously considering moving to Manchester, UK, and would like to ask if anyone has moved there recently and what ls the community like.
We are jpf, I wear sheitel, dh wears colored shirts, black hat on shabbes. We are interested in high school diploma for kids of both genders, we are both working professionals and BTs.

I wonder 1) what schools would be suitable for us. We would like separate genders, but with a high school.
2) if the community is too stuck up and looks down on newcomers and people without yichus.
My kids are very well integrated socially in their current schools and I am afraid that we will move and they will get bullied and they will hate it.

Also, how vital is it to have a car? I have heard that you kinda need to but some trip advisors online say you don‘t.

Aylat

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 7:19 am
Manchester is a lovely community, JPF should fit in fine.

Regarding schools, I left some years ago and there have been changes recently, so hopefully someone else will chime in. I woyld guess that Jewish High would probably be right for your daughters (Bais Yaakov school) but AFAIK there is no 6th form there anymore. Some girls go straight to seminary, others transfer to Yavneh, which is more modern.

Know nothing about the boys schools, sorry!

ETA about car. My husband worked outside Manchester and needed a car to get to work. He worked long hours so I basically never had car access. I managed fine walking and public transport - for work (I worked locally), taking kids places, and shopping.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 7:41 am
I'm from there! I love it! You have all types and everyone's really very accepting of each other. I would say you do see how some areas would be mainly a certain type, like some streets mainly all chassidish and then a 15 walk from there you'd have an area of more MO crowd....

With schools I'd imagine these are are your options.

Jewish day - elementary school both for boths and girls but completely separate probably the type of school you'd want to send but it's quite difficult to get into.

Broughton Jewish - elementary school but it's generally mixed aside from the older classes for most subjects.

High schools - Jewish high (girls) more beis yakov type

Yavne - boys and girls but separate classes. My neice is there and the girls seem to have a lot to do with the boys probably bc of the shared grounds.

Jewish Grammer boys high school

About a car - I grew up without one and it's definitely possible. As the community is growing I'd say nowadays there definitely is more of a need than then. It most certainaly would make life easier for you but it's not lIke you won't be able to go out without one.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 7:53 am
My husbands family is from there and it seems to be a really nice, welcoming community. Very down to earth. Property is very affordable. There is an eruv, put up a few years ago.

Jewish high/jewish grammer would probably work for you. They may not do A levels (essential to get into university) so check that out first. Yavneh is a M.O high school which does do A Levels.

Car really depends on where you are living in relation to school and shops. There is a bus and tram service. A few supermarkets have excellent delivery services.

Are you from the UK?

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 8:14 am
I also grew up there. It is a really nice welcoming community not at all stuck up. I grew up with baal teshuva parents and never heard anything about it at all. As a few people have said, you need to find the area which works for you.
There are three main areas right now although even within those areas there are different types. Lower broughton is more chasidish, main area of prestwich is litvish-yeshivish and salford is mostly a bit more baalebatish.
If you need help, I could get you numbers of people who live there now who could advise you. It is probably a good idea to speak to people there now about schooling as well although I would say Jewish Day primary, Jewish High, Jewish Grammar secondary and Jewish Grammar does have a sixth form, Jewish High some years yes some years no but from what you write I imagine Yavne is a bit too open for what you want.
In terms of a car, your main thing would be school rota many of the schools do not have bus service. you have to see where you end up but it can be a real pest to have to shlep the kids to and fro every day especially since different ages finish different times.

pond user

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 8:53 am
I don't live there but from what I know, the least stuck up community ever. Basically, anything goes.

Broughton Jewish Castle Fox Primary Day School (yes one school Smile ) has a good level of education but is co-ed.

Walking about is fine too if you live centrally and housing is remarkably cheaper than London.

bamba

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 9:12 am
I lived in mcr and studied In mcr!
Regarding areas to live a lot of people r moving Further out in Prestwich as well. Lower Broughton is more chassidish but housing is cheaper down there.
It’s a very nice warm community!
Depending where you are coming from can give more info how it differs from there!
Broughton Jewish is mixed primary school though kodesh subjects are separate iirc.
Jewish high for girls and Jewish grammar for boys is very main stream jpf!
Regarding a car we lived there for 4 years and didn’t have a car though when we rented a car it made life so much easier!!
Depending where you live if it’s near schools,grocery stores, etc will determine if you need a car or not. Even for ferrying kids to play dates it’s defintiely easier to have a car!!

weasley

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 9:46 am
amother wrote:
My husbands family is from there and it seems to be a really nice, welcoming community. Very down to earth. Property is very affordable. There is an eruv, put up a few years ago.

Jewish high/jewish grammer would probably work for you. They may not do A levels (essential to get into university) so check that out first. Yavneh is a M.O high school which does do A Levels.

Car really depends on where you are living in relation to school and shops. There is a bus and tram service. A few supermarkets have excellent delivery services.

Are you from the UK?

Jewish Grammer does A levels and Jewish high I think just gcse's

amother
Purple

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 11:44 am
amother wrote:

Are you from the UK?

No we are not, so moving into the UK from abroad is another whole issue...

amother
Purple

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 11:48 am
amother wrote:
I'm from there! I love it! You have all types and everyone's really very accepting of each other. I would say you do see how some areas would be mainly a certain type, like some streets mainly all chassidish and then a 15 walk from there you'd have an area of more MO crowd....

With schools I'd imagine these are are your options.

Jewish day - elementary school both for boths and girls but completely separate probably the type of school you'd want to send but it's quite difficult to get into.

Broughton Jewish - elementary school but it's generally mixed aside from the older classes for most subjects.

High schools - Jewish high (girls) more beis yakov type

Yavne - boys and girls but separate classes. My neice is there and the girls seem to have a lot to do with the boys probably bc of the shared grounds.

Jewish Grammer boys high school

About a car - I grew up without one and it's definitely possible. As the community is growing I'd say nowadays there definitely is more of a need than then. It most certainaly would make life easier for you but it's not lIke you won't be able to go out without one.

So the whole „getting into“ drama is really scary for me. My kids are going to a mixed school now because that is the only thing avalable, are they tainted fpr life? Will they not be accepted into a single-sx school anymore?

amother
Purple

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 11:52 am
Thank you everyone for your replies! Also, how are the school prices? Which schools are more expensive?

bamba

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 12:56 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you everyone for your replies! Also, how are the school prices? Which schools are more expensive?

Broughton Jewish is state aided so you pay a “voluntary contribution” for the kodesh side.
Jewish high is the same.
Not sure exact prices tho sorry!
Regarding acceptance into schools, if you say that the reason they were in a mixed school is because you didn’t have another choice I’m sure schools would understand! I think the school has to see if they feel you are a fit for their ethos!
Sorry can’t help you further with this didn’t have any School age kids when I lived there!!

amother
Brown

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 1:08 pm
amother wrote:
So the whole „getting into“ drama is really scary for me. My kids are going to a mixed school now because that is the only thing avalable, are they tainted fpr life? Will they not be accepted into a single-sx school anymore?

Like Bamba said be sure to tell them the reason they are in a mixed school so that they don't get the impression that your values are not of the schools. I think the biggest issue of getting in is becase of lack of space. - that may work in your favour right now as they have just (as in the last few months) bought a new building so that they are able to expand the school. I don't know when this will start affecting the amount of children they can take.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 1:52 pm
amother wrote:
No we are not, so moving into the UK from abroad is another whole issue...

ok, so I hope you have any immigration issues sorted out. UK immigration has become literally evil the last few years. Just for example, if one spouse is British and the other is neither british or an EU citizen, the uk spouse needs to be earning more then a certain amount to bring his/her spouse to the UK. (I think about £20,000. Which can be an issue if the wife is the UK citizen)

But, weirdly this does not apply to couples where one is an EU citizen and the other other is not. My british friend aquired citizenship from another EU country so she could live in the UK with her husband.

Re schools, most UK schools are much cheaper then US schools, even the private ones. A lot of schools have state aid which is amazing. My daughters state aided school (not in Manchester) asks for £1500 voluntary aid per year but it is optional. (definitely pay it if you can afford it, the government doesn't pay for everything)

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 1:54 pm
Also, the weather is not great in Manchester. (worse then London).

But Israel, Spain and other warm places are a cheap plane ride away.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 2:24 pm
new amother here. jsut wanted to add, if you are searching the schools online, you will not find Jewish Grammar, thats what it was called until about 10 years ago. Its now called Manchester Mesivta.

I have lived about 25 years of my life in manchester including all of my childhood. I would suggset looking at Broughton Jewish, Yesoiday haTorah (aka Jewish day school), Manchester Mesivta and Bais Yaakov High schoool

http://mesivta.org.uk/

http://bjcfps.co.uk/

https://www.yhs.org.uk/

Bais Yakov doesnt seem to have an active website...

good luck to you OP

but you must look at immigration stuff first, where aer you moving from?

amother
Purple

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 11:55 am
We are moving from another EU country.

It is really still very theoretical. I do have a couple of friends who live there but they are mostly British themselves so I assume they did not have the difficulties that my family might have.

I also hope someone who currently lives in Manchester will reply and say what klnd of a budget might be necessary.

bamba

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 12:09 pm
The visa laws keep changing. The whole time!!
But if you have EU passports I don’t think you will have a problem coming to live in Mcr. But I could be wrong...
regarding budget maybe if you include more details of amount of ppl/ages that your kids are it may help for others to help regarding budgets.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 12:50 pm
Well, a small house in either Prestwich or Lower Broughton is about £700-800 a month. 3 beds, one bath, one loo downstairs.
School fees are peanuts compared to America. Very approximately £2000 a year for primary school, but it really depends where you send your kids. Many people live off their tax credits and few work full time. You'll need a car as we don't have school buses, but the kosher stores are all local.
I can't emphasis this enough, the schools are full. Manchester is the fastest growing community in Europe, but the schools can't keep up. If you have post nursery aged kids, it's unlikely they'll all get into school. It's nothing personal, there's simply no room.
I think one poster said that Jewish Day have bought a new building, but they are not looking to take in new students at the moment as they have enough with siblings.
Food is slightly more that London, but not significantly. The weather is very wet and we all go a bit bonkers when the sun comes out.
It is friendly and down to earth, with a nice mix of people. I'd recommend looking at housing in Prestwich. Embee Estates and S & S Estates have websites, and perhaps AMCO?

amother
Purple

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 3:10 pm
amother wrote:
Well, a small house in either Prestwich or Lower Broughton is about £700-800 a month. 3 beds, one bath, one loo downstairs.
School fees are peanuts compared to America. Very approximately £2000 a year for primary school, but it really depends where you send your kids. Many people live off their tax credits and few work full time. You'll need a car as we don't have school buses, but the kosher stores are all local.
I can't emphasis this enough, the schools are full. Manchester is the fastest growing community in Europe, but the schools can't keep up. If you have post nursery aged kids, it's unlikely they'll all get into school. It's nothing personal, there's simply no room.
I think one poster said that Jewish Day have bought a new building, but they are not looking to take in new students at the moment as they have enough with siblings.
Food is slightly more that London, but not significantly. The weather is very wet and we all go a bit bonkers when the sun comes out.
It is friendly and down to earth, with a nice mix of people. I'd recommend looking at housing in Prestwich. Embee Estates and S & S Estates have websites, and perhaps AMCO?

Thank you so much for an honest reply! My kids are mostly post nursery age so I will have to take your info into consideration.
The housing prices sound nice.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating