Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
14 month old not walking yet
1  2  Next

proudmom

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 4:54 pm
I know I already made a post on this about my daughter crawling on her bum. I went to the doctor today for her 1 year check up and the doctor wants to see my daughter when she is 18 months old to see if she is walking by then if not she would need to go through evaluations. Is there anything that I can do to make my daughter to have interest in walking or even to pull herself up into the standing position? I dont want my daughter to go through any evaluations or tests I want to try to prevent it all.

Henya

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 10:06 pm
If it's any comfort to you, my daughter took her first step at 19 1/2 months. If there is no other issues with her muscles in her legs or anything of that sort, I wouldn't worry. Have you ever seen an average 3 year old still not walking? Each child at their own pace. Some are quicker/slower than others.

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 10:09 pm
does she happen to get a lot of ear infections? a friend of mine's son wasn't walking by 18 months. with his constant ear infections, they finally put tubes in his ears and suddenly, 3 days later he was up and walking. maybe that's not the case with your daughter, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

RedVines

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 10:15 pm
Each child to his own 100% but have you got any of those pushing toys where they have to walk to push it? Or hold things out for her to get when she is standing and holding on to something...thats pretty much what I did. TO get the walking started!

proudmom

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 10:21 pm
nicole81 wrote:
does she happen to get a lot of ear infections? a friend of mine's son wasn't walking by 18 months. with his constant ear infections, they finally put tubes in his ears and suddenly, 3 days later he was up and walking. maybe that's not the case with your daughter, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

my daughter does suffer from a lot of ear infections. you think she is imbalanced because of it?

Quote:
Each child to his own 100% but have you got any of those pushing toys where they have to walk to push it? Or hold things out for her to get when she is standing and holding on to something...thats pretty much what I did. TO get the walking started!

I have one but she has no interest at all

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 10:45 pm
the fluid in the inner ear (interstitial fluid) is responsible for partially controlling balance. ear infections can cause a buildup of fluid, so it's defintely possible that it can affect walking.

proudmom

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 10:46 pm
interesting, I will ask the doctor about it, and see what he has to say.

Rochel Leah

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 10:58 pm
Sz also started walkin late---22 months.
The physio said it had to with the stimulas in his ears..the balance as nicole said. also he didnt like the feeling of the floor on his feet.

proudmom

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 10:59 pm
my dh and I put her in the standing position and she is happy with it, the first time we did it she was screaming because she was really scared but now she go used to it.

elisecohen

Post Tue, Aug 09 2005, 7:30 am
Does your child bear weight on her legs when you hold her? If she does, and her overall gross motor development seem normal, I wouldn't worry at all--she'll just walk in her own time, when Hash-m decrees is the right moment. If she can't bear any weight on her legs, has other coordination problems, or other delays, then I would read up a bit on OT/PT issues at the library or do some infant stim kinds of things to try to see what's going on if there's anything you can do on an unproffesional level.
Enjoy your lovely baby.

proudmom

Post Tue, Aug 09 2005, 10:06 am
she does bear some weight on her legs bh

Chanie

Post Tue, Aug 09 2005, 7:57 pm
Dovid didn't walk till 15 months old... nothing was wrong with him, he was just an observer... and he was lazy and if he couldn't reach something he just went for something else.. the same with crawling.. nothing we did made him crawl. He didn't crawl till 11 months old.
It's very different from now, when he cant wait to learn a new skill... (although he still expects me to do things for him that he is quite capable of doing on his own... for example: I must pull up and down his pants when he goes to the toilet although I practiced that skill with him many times)

Rochel Leah

Post Tue, Aug 09 2005, 8:26 pm
Supposedly they say late walkers are more intelligent smarter people. because instead of running around early and bumping their head everywhere, they have more time to develop the thinking part of their brain.

my son being a late walker has great fine motor skills..

shoy18

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 12:06 am
my baby is almost 1 and also scootchs, he never crawled everyone says hes just lazy and he will get thier eventually

supermom

Post Wed, Aug 10 2005, 11:58 am
proud nothing to worry about each one to their own don't you know it runs in the family walking until late? and also about ear infections I don't exactly go for it my daughter had a lot of them growing up and she walked at nine months let me rephrase that ran at that time all over the house till today she doesn't know what it means to walk.

I have another daughter that didn't crawl around until almost 18 months and started to walk the next month over. and both of my kids are bright kids not dumb for that matter. so hang in their or get another opinion from another doctor that should help your mind at ease.

Rivka

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 8:42 am
I wouldn't worry. The Dr just wants to make sure everything is working normally with your child. They say the quicker they spot things the quicker they can deal with them and cure them hopefully and that is just what the Dr is doing, so be thankful your Dr is doing his/her job properly.

tzivi

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 9:51 am
IMHO, I wouldn't worry just yet. I have been told by a number of different doctors that so long as iy"h the child is physically able to move his/her legs, there hopefully shouldn't be a reason for concern. Most children just do things at their own leisure, sometimes that means a little bit later than others.
My first three walked at 12 months k"ah and then my next two didn't walk until 18 months. Boruch Hashem, each one is healthy and well, they just do things when the time is right for them.

Iy"h all should be well and at the right time for your child, too. Very Happy [/quote]

Mandy

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 11:14 am
Just make sure they have the opportunity. My friend was concerned b/c her third child was twelve months old and not even close to walking, whereas her other kids walked at twelve months. And she looked into it and found out that the playgroup lady kept all the babies in car seats most of the day shock so she got her baby out of there fast and within a month, her baby was walking. So this is not to say that something is wrong, just to make sure your baby has the opportunity to practice.

proudmom

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 11:35 am
my daughter is on the floor all day long

shopaholic

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 3:50 pm
I know it's a month since you last wrote, but I just found this. My daughter was 16 months when she started to walk. She was cruising from 10 months tho. In the end my husband stood her up in the middle of the room & wouldn't let her get down. After a few tries, she took steps. Turns out she has low muscle tone & now has PT. She still can't run like a 2.5 yr old, has a hard time climbing the stairs without holding on & can't jump. She's getting there tho. If ur daughter isnt walking yet, I would try & have her evaluated, if that's available like it is here. Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics