Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
14 month old not walking yet
Previous  1  2

proudmom

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 1:58 pm
An update on my daughter. She just started crawling a few steps. She tries to stand up but she does it with one foot in the standing position and the other on the floor. I hope she will start shortly

sarahd

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 2:03 pm
I heard a most interesting story. My SIL's SIL's son wasn't walking at 18 months. He could stand and cruise but couldn't walk alone. A friend told her that the family of the Steipler has a segula that if a child can stand and cruise but can't walk it's because the child is somehow afraid. So after lichtbenshing, you take a knife and run it three times back and forth between the child's feet and it will walk. Well, she doesn't go for the hocus-pocus sort of stuff, but after talking it over with her husband they decided that if it's good enough for the Steipler's family, it's good enough for them. So a couple of weeks ago, she did the segula and during the seuda, the child started to walk!

I would do it with my son who's nearly 15 months old and has been standing and cruising since he was 8 months old, but since he can take a couple of steps, I figure it won't help him.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Sep 25 2005, 12:52 am
Quite interesting. My son was cruising for a few months, and already turning 15 months old. His older sister had walked at 11 months. I sensed that he was just being cautious, which is still his nature. I was so fed up that I decided I was going to buy him shoes anyway, and I did.

Would you know that the very next day he took his first steps alone?! And I always claimed that buying him the shoes was the segulah! 8)

sarahd

Post Sun, Sep 25 2005, 12:58 am
Hmmm....so should I buy my son shoes?

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Sep 25 2005, 1:28 am
Why not? they're good for keeping socks on too! LOL

hisorerus

Post Sun, Sep 25 2005, 2:31 am
I didn't walk till 18 months... because I was too fat. Very Happy

ElTam

Post Sun, Sep 25 2005, 4:01 am
My daughter didn't walk til 18 months. Babies do things at their own pace. It's not because they are lazy as some posters said, they just aren't at that that point developmentally.

lucky

Post Sun, Sep 25 2005, 12:08 pm
S/t shoes definetly help. but that is usually only if the child is able to stand alone.

Ima-to-angels

Post Sun, Sep 25 2005, 11:27 pm
SaraYehudis wrote:
Why not? they're good for keeping socks on too! LOL

Sorry, but I don't agree Sad It is much more healthy and natural for a child to walk barefoot at first. They should feel all the different types of surfaces possible, grass, wood, concrete, carpet, tiles, etc. It helps them with their balance and it makes for a healthier foot. Especially if they have had trouble getting going in the first place.
The moment we put shoes on their feet, they start to get squashed into "unatural shapes". Of course you should only buy special baby shoes which give the best support to these tiny soft bones.
I try to keep mine out of shoes for as long as poss. obviously if its getting cold I put socks on them.

smile

Post Mon, Sep 26 2005, 11:11 am
my dd started making her first few steps with the age of 20 month. I might try sarahd suggestions with my second one.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Jan 22 2006, 8:13 pm
I just waanted to say that therepy and evaluations can only help your child. I know you said you'd rather not have her evaluated, but from experience with my oldest son, I know how much therapy can help a child. The earlier a child has access the faster they will improve, I wish I had my son evaluated, when I first noticed that he had issues. He is BH doing great now!

He did not need PT but he had oral-motor issues and alot of OT issues, he is so much better after the therapy it really works wonders on a child!

Something else to keep in mind also, many girls walk later than boys. I have only boys, two were in shoes by eleven months, the third was petrified to walk. Once I stood him up and he took 4 steps, once he realized what he did , he sat himself down and became inconsoleable, (he was about 10 months). From then on every time I put him in a standing position, he made jellylegs, so I could never trick him into doing it again.

goldrose

Post Mon, Jan 23 2006, 7:23 am
my two girls didnt walk till 16 months. they certainly werent in any rush!

BlumaG

Post Mon, Jan 23 2006, 7:41 am
my nephewi s 16 months and still not walking, just not especially intrested he only started standing up holding on a month ago, my 7 month old just started pulling herself up, depends on the kid

raizy

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 8:35 pm
I say it is not a problem till 18 months old. but ohe do I wish for my babies to walk late. my babies all walked at 10 months . the latest walker was one yrs old. I always wanted one baby that wouldnt crawl walk climb that fast .

its much better for the sanity of the mom to have a late walker. otherwise the terriable twos start the moment they learn how to walk
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics