Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Does ur baby girl have earrings?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Copper

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 2:12 am
My little girl is 15 months old. I would have had her ears pierced when she was a newborn, but I waited until a medical issue cleared.
Now that that is taken care of, I am so excited to choose earrings and have her ears pierced...
Except that my husband does not think a baby needs earrings and doesn't want me to pierce her ears!
I was so excited and now I feel so let down, as I was really looking forward to this.

My question is:
Does your daughter/s have earrings?
How old was she when you had her ears pierced?

If your daughter does not have her ears pierced, are you planning to get them pierced?
When? Please share any specific reasons why you chose to wait.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 2:22 am
None of my girls have their ears pierced (ages 1-11). I will let them decide after their Bas Mitzvah if they want piercing and will gladly do it then.

As a baby it's for me, and I'm not comfortable causing my baby pain for my own benefit. I also had infections from earrings and would not want to potentially put them through that for no reason.

I will wait until they are a halachic adult who is capable of making a decision, and also at that age presumably responsible enough for the care of piercings. I will also need to get them 14K gold at least, since I am allergic to sterling silver and 10K gold, plus many kinds of "hypoallergenic" earrings, and I want them to be able to be responsible enough for "real" jewelry before I get it.

weasley

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 2:25 am
I'm going to wait until my daughter wants them. I want it to be exciting for her and a special occasion.

When I was around 6 my grandmother took me on a special outing to have them done - the memory is so special to me that I was thinking of asking my mother to take my daughter when the time comes!

amother
Oak

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 2:26 am
All my girls had their ears pierced as infants. There is minimal pain, for a fleeting moment, at most!!!
Girls look soooo much cuter in earrings.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 2:27 am
amother wrote:
None of my girls have their ears pierced (ages 1-11). I will let them decide after their Bas Mitzvah if they want piercing and will gladly do it then.

As a baby it's for me, and I'm not comfortable causing my baby pain for my own benefit. I also had infections from earrings and would not want to potentially put them through that for no reason.

I will wait until they are a halachic adult who is capable of making a decision, and also at that age presumably responsible enough for the care of piercings. I will also need to get them 14K gold at least, since I am allergic to sterling silver and 10K gold, plus many kinds of "hypoallergenic" earrings, and I want them to be able to be responsible enough for "real" jewelry before I get it.

my mother had this policy and I was so resentful at age 9,10,11 when all my peeers had cute girly earrings and I felt so deprived. in turn, I pierced my dd's ears at about 4-5 months old . I love how they look!

salt

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 2:40 am
My DDs got their ears pierced at age 13 and 10. My youngest DD, age 5, doesn't yet have earrings. She does say that all her friends do, but I know that *all* doesn't really mean *all* - and before you all go and hug me for being mean, I've asked her, does A have earrings?does B have earrings? does C have earrings? etc, and I didn't get a Yes for all.

I'll probably let her when she's about 10, when she can take care of them herself.

Personally I don't think baby girls look cute with earrings, I think it looks silly - like a costume.

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 2:40 am
I didn’t pierce them since I have a strong allergy to metal. I got my own pierced at 10, 12 and 16. They got infected and I had to let them close.
I would,et my kids at ten. Then we’ll be able to see if they are allergic or not and they will be able to wear pretty earrings at their bas mitzvah.
10 is old enough to care for them. It’s easier than brushing teeth which I would trust a younger kid to do well and regularly.

Of course a baby doesn’t need earrings! Mommy needs them! The same reason we put them in cute clothes, itgives US pleasure, the babies don’t care.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 2:43 am
Of course they do, I did it when she was a newborn. Its painless then! It adds so much to there face. Girls belong with earings, there not boys.

salt

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 2:52 am
I specially asked for no hugs. Now that's not fair Smile

Kiwi13

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 2:56 am
No. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong approach to this, but I personally want to wait until my daughter is old enough to ask for earrings and old enough to understand the responsibility of needing to rotate and clean them. (Although I do also understand mothers who choose to pierce their daighters’ ears as babies so it’s over and done with.) I don’t have a set age in mind but probably 4 or 5 or older. I’m personally not the biggest fan of earrings but I wouldn’t stop my daughter from getting them if she wants to.

essie14

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 3:01 am
I pierced my baby's ears at 6 months. She cried for literally 10 seconds. Her vaccines hurt more.
I got 14K gold posts.
She looks super adorable, doesn't bother her one bit.

Sadie

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 4:21 am
In my culture growing up nobody pierced a baby’s ears, and now when I see it my knee-jerk reaction is that it looks trashy. I really hate the way it looks but I understand that in other cultures it’s normal and seen as cute.
I desperately wanted pierced ears as a kid and I was allowed to get them when I was old enough to take care of them. I enjoyed going with my mom and picking out my first earrings myself. I think I picked gold studs with my birthstone. I will do the same if I ever have a daughter.

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 5:43 am
To me it's not beautiful so no. Also it's unneeded and there are stories of kids pulling them.

Teomima

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 6:10 am
I don't believe in piercing young children's/baby's ears. No judgement of those who do (and for the record I currently have 9 ear piercings myself), but it's still body modification and I don't believe in doing it to someone else without their consent.

I prefer to wait till my children ask. Currently only one daughter has, my 9yo got hers pierced (professionally, with a needle) about a month ago. She was sure she wanted it, we watched videos online to prepare, she was totally calm and happy to get it done and takes responsibility for cleaning her own ears. If/when her sisters exhibit the same interest, I will take them to get theirs done as well.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 6:24 am
About "it doesn't hurt babies":
https://www.webmd.com/parentin.....mated (tl;dr - babies don't always SHOW pain even when they feel it)

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 6:29 am
amother wrote:
All my girls had their ears pierced as infants. There is minimal pain, for a fleeting moment, at most!!!
Girls look soooo much cuter in earrings.

Babies are pure and adorable without earings.
I made earings for my dd when she asked for it. She was 3. I let her choose from a few. And most amazing was that she didn't cry at all. She wanted it (just like me) and I was excited about it. But I told her it was going to hurt a little like an injection. She was big enough to decide she wanted it without crying when it hurt. I was really proud of her.

If you decide not to make her earings, you can use body stickers for the meantime. It's rather expensive for just a sticker but really nice. I put it on my baby for my siblings wedding and everyone asked me when I made her earings. They where all surprised when I told them it's a sticker. I used it whenever I was in the mood. And I had a lot to choose from. I had pearls, I had little diamonds. And also colored stones

DrMom

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 6:30 am
No, I prefer to wait until they ask for this on their own accord and are responsible enough to take care of them themselves.

I don't like putting jewelry of any kind on soft, cuddly babies.

Raisin

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 6:36 am
It looks cheap to me so I wouldn't do it.

But I've had mixed experiences doing it when older, on myself and my daughters, so I can see the attraction of getting it done on a very small baby.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 7:18 am
Poke holes in a baby without a good reason? No way. Now she's older and doesn't want. Not everyone has pierced ears.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 7:36 am
All my girls asked for earrings as their 'reward' for toilet training. My oldest started the tradition, and the others followed. So they all had their ears pierced by age 3-3.5.

Many of my friends did it during infancy. That's not for me. But I won't judge others.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics