Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What do you do with your leftover cholent?
Previous  1  2

What do you do with your leftover Cholent?
Yuck. Chuk it the minute Shabbos is out!!!!  
 57%  [ 47 ]
Have it the next day!!!!  
 28%  [ 23 ]
Freeze it for next week!!!  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other, Please explain!!!!  
 14%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 82

Purplehair

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 8:21 am
I used to be a solid "Yuck and Chuck".
However, now I give it to my MIL and her home attendant. They enjoy it and eat it throughout the week. (I"m thrilled because it always seemed like such a waste!)
Smile

sarahd

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 8:48 am
My husband used to eat it happily until like an idiot I made a comment like, "wow, I can't believe you enjoy eating leftover cholent," whereupon he promptly stopped eating it and hasn't touched it ever since (which is at least 4 years.) The last couple of years we hardly have leftover cholent anyhow, because we eat cholent in the morning when dh comes home from shul and we're hungry, and not during the meal when we're half full and no one's interested. The few beans left over (I use so little meat that it's NEVER left) I don't feel so bad throwing out.

mugsisme

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 9:04 am
I do a couple of things. Most of the time I leave it in the fridge until Eruv Shabbos when I need the pan again. Then I chuck it in the premise that it is no longer edible.

I have also used it as a base for a soup. One week no one was hungry at lunch, and I had a ton left over. It was pretty thin, so I added a lot of noodles (we do not put beans in our cholent) after I pulled the potatoes out, and called it hamburger helper. Very Happy Uh, it didn't really fool the kids though, and only my son ate it.

I haven't made it in a few weeks since then.

Leah

mimivan

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 9:30 am
It' s a good idea to serve fewer salads and fish dishes during the Shabbos day meal so more of the cholent gets eaten. Or else the things can be taken off the table earlier. When we don't have guests, we don't even serve salad Shabbos day so we can eat up the cholent (and we're lubbies, so Farbrengan food poses a considerable challenge since dh has eaten already).

When we have guests, it tends to get eaten up Very Happy

el2cg

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 12:58 pm
I feel bad throwing it out after shabbos, cuz it still looks so delicious. however I never serve it, I'm to grossed out by it. so I chuck it after it stays 2 days in the fridge!

Ima'la

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 1:20 pm
DH will eat it leftover and my little kiddies would, and I'll eat a little once it's reheated on the table in front of me. But my kids are not such little kiddies anymore - they've gotten more sophisticated and stopped liking it. So I started adding cut-up pieces of hot dog and that helped.

Seraph

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 1:26 pm
WHEN (on the rare occasion that) I make cholent, DH will gladly eat it as leftovers.
He lived off of leftover cholent ever since his dad got remarried. His step mom makes a WICKED cholent. Even I don't mind eating her leftover cholent.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 3:15 pm
Mmmm nothing like hot cholent on a cold winter day. I love the smell of it wafting through the house overnight Friday, and waking up to the warm, inviting pleasure of it's odor on Shabbat morning. Resisting the desire to peek in and see how it's doing till lunch time. Waiting, waiting: set the table, make kiddush, hamotzi until finally, it's time. Grasping the piping hot crock handles in my oven mitts, prefering to serve it directly from the crock to our plates. Gently placing the crock on a trivet in the center of the table. 1, 2, 3... open the cover, inhale the perfume and -

drown out the family's whines of: I don't like cholent. I don't like the beans. I don't like the potatoes. I only like the meat. It makes me feel to full. Why did you have to make it... and on and on.

Ahhh... makes me want to prepare this delicacy next week as well.

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 3:44 pm
DH eats the leftovers gladly for dinner on Monday night, or Tuesday night, or Wednesday night, etc..... Puke
I stay far away when he's microwaving it. LOL

I only make cholent a few times a year, anyway.

Ima'la

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 12:03 am
Tamiri, LOL LOL LOL

Starhavah

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 12:09 am
sharonah22 wrote:
Most of the time nobody will touch it after Shabbat, but I've tried this if there's a lot left over. I always have tortillas in the house, so if you make your cholent with beans (although it's not nessasary) you can wrap up a few burritos and put them in the freezer. Just microwave them for a minute and a half, and you have a quick lunch for the middle of the week.

What a great idea Sharona!!

Thanks,

Star Havah

LisaS

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 12:43 pm
I try to make it so there isn't too much left but dh is always happy to eat it. Especially in the winter.

momluv

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 1:01 pm
we eat some leftovers sunday and then chuck it. I'm just wondering, for those of you who don't make cholent with beans, what do you use?? my friend went to eat by someone who use corn...yuck!! corn cholent!!SadSad

Starhavah

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 8:46 pm
yentagolda wrote:
we eat some leftovers sunday and then chuck it. I'm just wondering, for those of you who don't make cholent with beans, what do you use?? my friend went to eat by someone who use corn...yuck!! corn cholent!!SadSad

I use lentils sometimes, this week for the first time I did not use anything in place of the beans. I made one with roast, sausage, barley, onions, mushrooms, garlic and a kiske. It was wonderful, but too expesive per serving to make this way every week.

I am still looking for a way of cutting the costs without adding beans or lentils. Next week, I will add more barley and carrots, maybe a parsnip or two as well. If anyone has suggestions of how to cut the cost per serving of the cholent without adding beans (my sweetie is allergic to beans), I am all ears.

Star Havah
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen