Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Requesting gift certificates
1  2  Next

amother
Linen

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 8:09 pm
What do you think of a couple asking for gift certificates as a gift?

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 8:11 pm
It’s not classy of them, but it’s definitely a lot more convenient.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 8:32 pm
amother wrote:
It’s not classy of them, but it’s definitely a lot more convenient.

Would you resent it?

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:
Would you resent it?

I'd probably vent at first that I didn't get to choose or decide on how much to spend, but at the end it would probably end up being easier.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 9:38 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I'd probably vent at first that I didn't get to choose or decide on how much to spend, but at the end it would probably end up being easier.

I get to choose how much. I didn't ask what to get. I was told.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 10:28 pm
amother wrote:
I get to choose how much. I didn't ask what to get. I was told.

Yeaaa, not really. When I'm giving a check or certificate I feel obligated to spend more.

ChutzPAh

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 10:42 pm
Tacky

seeker

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 11:46 pm
What they said, plus also it's weird. Why would they want gift cards better than cash? I don't really like gift cards. You need to get to the right store... if what you want is a better price somewhere else then you're stuck spending more of your gift on the higher-priced store... you end up with some silly amount left over that won't buy what you want, and if you're going to pay the rest anyway then you may as well get to choose where...

amother
Linen

Post Mon, May 28 2018, 11:51 pm
What would you do? Would you get the gift cards?

I remember who gave me each present for my chassunah. I think of them when I see the present. I don't remember who gave me cash. It all went into a big pile.

simba

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 8:14 am
If you don't care that you're gift will be completely forgotten then get a gift card. If you want to be remembered just send a gift.
The gift is really about the receiver not the giver so I don't think I would make a big deal of it but it is definitely tacky of them if that gives you any validation.

watergirl

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 8:22 am
What kind of gift certificates? To a store? Or a generic visa one? And how is it any different than a gift registry? Either way, they’re making their request known.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 8:55 am
watergirl wrote:
What kind of gift certificates? To a store? Or a generic visa one? And how is it any different than a gift registry? Either way, they’re making their request known.

I agree. I view it the same as a gift registry.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 8:59 am
watergirl wrote:

It is to a specific store. You aren't to make your requests known unless asked. Usually the bride lets her friends and family know. Guests can ask them if they want to know.

zaq

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 5:18 pm
Tacky. Asking for any sort of gift is uncouth.
However, if you asked them what they would like, you have no cause for complaint. I don’t know why they would ask for a gift certificate instead of cash but whatever floats their root beer. Maybe what they really want is a big ticket item they’d never have the chutzpah to ask for and are hoping that several gift certificates pooled together will allow them to get it without sounding greedy and demanding.

Yes, I think it’s a lot like a bridal registry without the delivery fees and the trips to return stuff. I have B”H married off several children and every one of the kallahs registered for stuff she didn’t want just so people could buy something in their price range and she could exchange it later for stuff she wanted. I fail to see the logic in that. All those shipping fees go to waste, to say nothing of the waste of time and effort. Let people give you checks (or gift certificates if you know you shop at a certain store anyway) and buy what you want directly. Bal tashchis applies to time as well as to material goods.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 5:24 pm
zaq wrote:
Tacky. Asking for any sort of gift is uncouth.
However, if you asked them what they would like, you have no cause for complaint. I don’t know why they would ask for a gift certificate instead of cash but whatever floats their root beer. Maybe what they really want is a big ticket item they’d never have the chutzpah to ask for and are hoping that several gift certificates pooled together will allow them to get it without sounding greedy and demanding.

Yes, I think it’s a lot like a bridal registry without the delivery fees and the trips to return stuff. I have B”H married off several children and every one of the kallahs registered for stuff she didn’t want just so people could buy something in their price range and she could exchange it later for stuff she wanted. I fail to see the logic in that. All those shipping fees go to waste, to say nothing of the waste of time and effort. Let people give you checks (or gift certificates if you know you shop at a certain store anyway) and buy what you want directly. Bal tashchis applies to time as well as to material goods.

OP here:

I didn't ask. I was told what to get.

zaq

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 5:38 pm
amother wrote:
OP here:

You mean a young couple came up to you and said “Mrs. Amother, we want a $500 gift card to Tiffany’s for our wedding gift”? Or their mom said “ Theodosia, you’re getting Belle( short for Jezebel) and Bub (short for Beelzebub) a $500 gift card to Sodom, Gomorrah and Beyond for their wedding” ? Unbelievable!
Please tell me the bride’s mom isn't your sister, mom or mil and this isn’t how your family does weddings? Ugh. Tacky doesnt begin to describe it.

Of course, no law says you have to obey. Your gift, your choice what, how and to whom to give it.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 5:39 pm
amother wrote:
OP here:

By whom?

Raisin

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 5:50 pm
My 5 year old was invited to a birthday party and the mother wrote, no gifts please, if you want to give something you can give $5 towards a trip to the toy store.

I actually thought that was a great idea. No spending time buying a gift for me, and I usually need to spend more then $5 for something nice.

enneamom

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 5:56 pm
zaq wrote:
You mean a young couple came up to you and said “Mrs. Amother, we want a $500 gift card to Tiffany’s for our wedding gift”? Or their mom said “ Theodosia, you’re getting Belle( short for Jezebel) and Bub (short for Beelzebub) a $500 gift card to Sodom, Gomorrah and Beyond for their wedding” ? Unbelievable!
Please tell me the bride’s mom isn't your sister, mom or mil and this isn’t how your family does weddings? Ugh. Tacky doesnt begin to describe it.

Of course, no law says you have to obey. Your gift, your choice what, how and to whom to give it.

Not sure if I agree or not, but I gave you a like because you made me LOL Rolling Laughter

amother
Linen

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 8:15 pm
zaq wrote:

You are close. There was no amount stated and they aren't related.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics