Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Crockpot Help Please

kenz

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 10:21 am
I've been making chulent for decades without a problem, so I don't need a recipe, but I do need crockpot help. I only use the type of crockpot that sits on a base (rather than an insert) for halachic reasons and recently needed a new one.
It's hard to find the oblong type of crockpot these days that's not electric and doesn't have an auto shut-off, and basically my only choice was a West Bend 5 quart. I've used it for 2 weeks now and clearly the power is much lower than the one I had previously (the ProChef) because my chulent is barely getting done. The first week I put up my chulent Friday afternoon (as always) and put it on 2, as I had done with the ProChef. It was cooked but just barely, not "chulenty" at all, and not very appetizing. So last week I put it up earlier, put it on 4 for several hours, and then lowered it to 2.5 right before Shabbos. Still not nearly well done enough, but the liquid was completely absorbed into the barley.
So what am I doing wrong with this particular crockpot? Does it need to be put up earlier? More liquid and a higher temp? (Since the liquid was absorbed I assume if it had been higher it would have just burnt - or is that incorrect?) I've been making the same chulent forever, so it's definitely something that needs to be switched up based on the crockpot.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! We're having guests this Shabbos and my chulent needs to be back to its former yummy self.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 10:36 am
The low setting is 3.

Keep warm is 1 and high is 5.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, May 29 2018, 10:51 am; edited 2 times in total

kenz

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 10:38 am
ra_mom wrote:
The low is setting is 3.

So you're saying start with 3? Or higher?

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 10:39 am
kenz wrote:
So you're saying start with 3? Or higher?

I don't know how you used to make your cholent but I just keep it at an even low throughout the cooking process.

kenz

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 10:43 am
ra_mom wrote:
I don't know how you used to make your cholent but I just keep it at an even low throughout the cooking process.

That's what I did too. Setting 2 on ProChef from Friday afternoon till Shabbos day. Should I put it up earlier?
(What are settings 1 and 2 for?)

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 10:45 am
kenz wrote:
That's what I did too. Setting 2 on ProChef from Friday afternoon till Shabbos day. Should I put it up earlier?
(What are settings 1 and 2 for?)

Do exactly what you used to do but now use the 3 setting from Friday afternoon until Shabbos day.

1 is keep warm. 2 is between keep warm and low.

kenz

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 10:53 am
ra_mom wrote:
Do exactly what you used to do but now use the 3 setting from Friday afternoon until Shabbos day.

1 is keep warm. 2 is between keep warm and low.

Thanks ra-mom!

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 10:54 am
Sure!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus