Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Today show interview
  Previous  1  2  3  11  12  13

InnerMe

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 7:38 am
crust wrote:
To say that someone is not fit to have her children because she was institutionalized because of PPD, is simplistic.

To say that she is not well based on the knowledge that 5 years ago she was not well, is simplistic.

What bothers me here is the unequivocal conclusion that she must be mentally ill.

I am wondering how much of the illness was added or exacerbated by the stigma that was attatched to her once she was in psych ward.

I hope that we, as a community, have not contributed to this sad situation by waving her away as "meh. Zee hut mit dee nerven".

Stigma and name calling can make any person go heywire, especially when the person is vulnerable.

Crust, I very much agree with the bolded.

Zehava

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 9:54 am
crust wrote:
If I want to dig deeper into this, the bolded would be the outstanding thing here.

I know more than one woman that went the Footsteps route. ALL of them have custody no matter how hard their husbands fought for these children. Yes, the community fought tooth and nail and literally poured hundreds of thousands of dollars into lawyers and courts but the mother won them period.

Say what? That is blatantly false. I know more than one woman who does not have custody.

leah233

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 10:10 am
Zehava wrote:
Say what? That is blatantly false. I know more than one woman who does not have custody.

How does your knowing more than one woman who does not have custody prove that what Crust is saying is "blatantly false"?

She probably knows different women than you.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 10:19 am
Mevater wrote:
I find this fascinating. If this is accurate, this is a major change.

Even among Ultra Chassidic groups, the Rebbes are sensitive to and open to public opinion, rather than hard line, my way or the highway approach to their Chassidim's way of life?

Really? How is this a major change? There are all kinds of Chassidim, not all of them run to the Rebbe for every little decision in their lives.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 11:05 am
In case some of the earlier comments were directed at me, I want to clarify that I don’t accept anyone’s version of the story as a “fact”. Important clarification: facts are objective, not hearsay, gossip, your friends cousins opinion-all subjective. Facts are objective.

I take everyone’s version of the story with a grain of salt. But I do have sympathy for a mother being shut out from her kids fighting for less draconian custody.

Mevater

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 11:05 am
Maya wrote:
In a fantasy world, maybe.

There are some groups, like Belz, which are open to slightly more input from public opinion and make some small changes accordingly. But they are a rare exception.

Now that I think of it, with the many Hot Chanis I see walking the streets of BP on Shabbos, wearing s-xy sheitels til their rear, with skirts that look like they could be a little looser for comfort, next to men wearing Shtreimels, whose children are obviously going to Chassidishe Cheders in BP, (theyre not going to Litvish schools in Flatbush, because theyre hard to get into), obviously there have been changes in the Chassidishe world.

pause

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 11:09 am
dancingqueen wrote:
In case some of the earlier comments were directed at me, I want to clarify that I don’t accept anyone’s version of the story as a “fact”. Important clarification: facts are objective, not hearsay, gossip, your friends cousins opinion-all subjective. Facts are objective.

I take everyone’s version of the story with a grain of salt. But I do have sympathy for a mother being shut out from her kids fighting for less draconian custody.

Exactly. But the source of your facts is of prime importance in deciding whether to believe these facts. Fake news is not a new thing...

Your talking about "everyone's version of the story." Which story? You need the facts of the story straight before you listen to someone's version of it.

asmileaday

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 11:31 am
There's always 3 sides to every story. His side her side and the truth.
And nobody can know the truth besides Hashem.

That's it.

This message is for everyone. Those on her side those on his side and those on no one's side.

asmileaday

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 11:37 am
We can start another thread about the importance of more tolerance in our communities. Or how to practically have the children remain chassidish when one spouse goes OTD.

This whole back and forth here is pointless.

Please don't vilify her mother or her husband, that's just so unfair if you know NOTHING. (I'm not trying to defend anyone here but for posters to call them abusive or controlling without knowing anything at all is slander.)

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 12:22 pm
wrote:
Now that I think of it, with the many Hot Chanis I see walking the streets of BP on Shabbos, wearing s-xy sheitels til their rear, with skirts that look like they could be a little looser for comfort, next to men wearing Shtreimels, whose children are obviously going to Chassidishe Cheders in BP, (theyre not going to Litvish schools in Flatbush, because theyre hard to get into), obviously there have been changes in the Chassidishe world.

According to hilchos shmiras halashon, we can't say rechilus about a group.
Leaving aside any hilchos Imamother, which I can't recite offhand.

Have a wonderful Shabbos!
Page 13 of 13   Previous  1  2  3  11  12  13 Recent Topics