Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Dd 3 wants to choose what to wear

muss

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 3:44 pm
My Dd just turned three and she gets upset when I give her something to wear that she doesn't want. There's only one or two outfits that she likes because it's her favorite color. She likes getting dressed herself so refuses to put those other things on and cries. What do you do?

Iymnok

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 3:51 pm
Work with her.
A choice between two or three things often works.
She is old enough to be part of the process, so let her choose her own outfit once ina while. Let her pick her own socks and choose if she will wear shoes or sandals.

Teomima

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 3:57 pm
My kids had minds of their own long before 3! My philosophy is, as long as it's weather-appropriate (and, for the school-age ones, school-appropriate), I don't care what they wear. They've worn some pretty entertaining outfits over the years!

amother
Silver

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 4:03 pm
1. Keep shabbos clothing on a separate high shelf so she doesn't insist on wearing that to school.

2. Keep outfits closed together. For example fold skirt with shirt wrapped around it. That is an outfit, no mixing and matching between outfits.

3. Take anything you don't like out of the drawer.

4. Show her the dirty laundry hamper and let her sniff how stinky it is. Anything inside is not allowed to be worn until washed.

Basically, you have a drawer full of matched up outfits. Only those that are ok for everyday use. She can choose any outfit from the drawer.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 4:15 pm
capsule wardrobe. have all the clothing out match each other so she can pick whatever she wants and look normal Wink try to get clothing in the colors she likes.

chocolatecake

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 4:24 pm
I try to give my three yr old thee choices of clothing to pick for the next day before bedtime.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 5:17 pm
I would give my child a choice of two or three different sets. Also I would tell my kid I know you love that outfit but it's dirty because you wore it this week already (even if it was clean)
Same for my kids when they got older (about 6-12) and would tell me that they hate a shirt or sweater. If it was all of a sudden for no reason not like it's uncomfortable or someone made fun of them or something I would tell them you only have to wear it once a week and that's it. And soon the season will change and you won't have to wear it anymore. At that age I usually didn't buy something if they told me in the store that they don't like it and don't want to wear it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics