Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Anyone had to check w/ flashlight if DS swallows his meds?

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 3:53 pm
My son and Dr met. Son wants to stop the injection. The substitution will be a tiny pill. And he tends to cheek (means hide in cheek) why is the doctor allowing? It will be a danger of hospitalization again ! They agreed that if he cheeks and.gets hospitalized again, then we will go back to shots. I know he loves to cheek!!! Im mad im worried. Why again? I me? So on the way out from.doctor I told him that if he feels humiliated by the injection and less humiliated by pills im.fine but I will need to see with a flash.light after he drinks.the mouth! I hate this!!!!!! Anyone had to do this? Im so depressed from the situation? Stupid sick nebach son prefers this way.yeah until he gets fed up and it will be a new round of hospitalizations. Im so upset!!!!!! Please answer only if you had to do this.
Details he was on 3 huge pills.of.depakot which were all at night and I kept him at the table ith his best food and reading material for 25 minutes. By then he ate lots of good stuff and the depakot gets a horrible taste in the mouth at about 15 minutes so eventually they remove from cheek and swallow because they have no choice. But the other meds was an injectible and now that one will be a tiny pill that tastes fine. He can keep in cheeks forever! So I must do flashlight! Im crying like a baby now. Did you ever do this? How was it? I cant let him trip on his own shoe lace and relaapse. I did it 2 times already! He was so little home and had to be readmited.(And with every hospitalization the neurons could get worst according to some. ' )) What is sure is - the doctor told.both of.us that in the next 6 months missing-hiding even one.dose can.make a relapse! But he is a fresh bipolar (had a 1st snapp about 4 months ago) and they lie a lot and they promisse a lot but dont always keep what they promised. Did you do flashlight? At what age? For.how long?

mha3484

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 3:57 pm
My husband gives my son his meds when he is like half asleep around 6am. They work better and hes usually too tired to argue about it.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 4:00 pm
mha3484 wrote:
My husband gives my son his meds when he is like half asleep around 6am. They work better and hes usually too tired to argue about it.

This.one.is a very smart 22+ stuborn person. Extremely smart. How.old.is.yours.? Teary Eyed

mha3484

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 4:01 pm
Much much younger. I am so sorry that you have to deal with this. Its so frustrating and scary.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 4:03 pm
If your child is an adult I think you may need a different approach to this. Are you seeing a counselor or in any support groups?

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 4:45 pm
mha3484 wrote:
If your child is an adult I think you may need a different approach to this. Are you seeing a counselor or in any support groups?

I have my own psychologist. I think Ill call him

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, May 29 2018, 6:40 pm
I think my son wants to try "cheeking" this too. Like he tries to cheek his depakot many nights. Just depakot is harder to cheek

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 11:17 pm
amother wrote:
I think my son wants to try "cheeking" this too. Like he tries to cheek his depakot many nights. Just depakot is harder to cheek

Today he asked meds before going to maariv. I was stupid and allowed. If he cheeked or vomited outside the level of depakote next weeks will show low..... Im so stupid. Why did I let? He should sit by the table at least 25 minutes eaating drinking reading. And maybe show mouth with flashlight too. I think important first week or 2 while we are establishing the baseline level.OMG. (conditions bipolar and.OCD and possible squizoafective) plus Mr stubborn and Mr wise guy and Mr in denial - part of the sickness is saying lies and misleading.
Anyone used for a family sprinkles depakote?
Update: I read a bit. I see that with sprinkles it is 3 times a day while most pills of same brand are once or twice a day. So its harder if patient or caregiver has a job.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 4:56 pm
Update. BH bli ain hora out of hospital about 3 weeks. Record breaking bli ain hora. Depakote is low on BT. So either keeping in cheek or needs brand only DAW. For benefit of doubt we will try DAW. The miracle is that he takes risperidone injection too so kinda half is in the blood stream!!! Close call!!! Tough new chalenge in my life. My Hashem help vaiter

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 9:37 pm
Bli ain.hora he is still out of the hospital. Im less anxious. Tomorrow he will probably go for the blood test and it looks like he still hides meds in the cheeks. The Dr believes he does. The Dr does not think its a DAW issue. Well I want to see already the depakot level is much higher. I hope and daven for this. But if Chas vesholom not maybe Dr will need to give "sprinkles" which can be mixed into liquid. He is not 8 and not 12 years... it will not be a pleasant situation. My husband BH tries to calm me down. The stress is big. Ill bli neder let you know the outcome of the blood test. Im sharing so if cholila you hear someone with these issues, share with them. Generally he is more pleasant now.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 9:53 pm
It sounds like an awful lot of stress on you.
I would definitely not check with a flashlight. To me it's important that my child feel his life is in his hands, not in mine. So I got busy working on letting him be his own boss over his own body, over his meds, over his life, and it worked.
Getting into power struggles is a recipe for disaster.
I treat my son like a separate adult. Not like a little kid. Even with a diagnosis. A diagnosis is not a reason to rob a child of his autonomy and agency.

My method has helped him stay out of hospital for the past six years.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jun 19 2018, 10:05 pm
amother wrote:
It sounds like an awful lot of stress on you.
I would definitely not check with a flashlight. To me it's important that my child feel his life is in his hands, not in mine. So I got busy working on letting him be his own boss over his own body, over his meds, over his life, and it worked.
Getting into power struggles is a recipe for disaster.
I treat my son like a separate adult. Not like a little kid. Even with a diagnosis. A diagnosis is not a reason to rob a child of his autonomy and agency.

My method has helped him stay out of hospital for the past six years.

How old is your child?
I agree that you have to let a 22-year-old be an adult but if he lands in the hospital his mom will eventually have much more pressure no?

Then again OP, If he cant be trusted about taking meds then why was he let out of the hospital in the first place? Maybe it is time to let things fall apart again and let him take responsibility for his life.

I am sorry you are going through this. I hope things get better soon. Hugs.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 6:32 pm
The problem is that with the nervous breakdown he had a few months ago, per my doctor and per the book a second opinion doctor recomended, every time the snap and get hospitalized more of noodles in the head ( not sure which part of the noodles) goes dead for life. It can be compared to when someone has a minor heart atack and they refuse To go to the hospital and everyone says you see he is OK 2 days later, he is alive, that's not accurate because one.part of his heart died and that with shorten his survival at the end of his life. He will live 115 instead of 120. Similarly the nervous breakdown during the crisis and hospitalization and another little irraparable damage .
My psych believes that if he is more manic and I cannot reach the doctor I can give ativan against his wishes and it puts him to slleep till we reach the doctor instead of callingb911. BH so far I almost gave once but he improved very fast so I didn't have to. ( the book is I am not sick I dont need help).
And they let out twice unprepared because he was under the same.horrible doctor. The third time he was in a more uncomfortable hospital and that made him a little more willing to cooperate.
We are not doing flashlight. We changed to DAW. Dr hopes better results. Weather because generic was bad or just because patient will have no choice with the DAW

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jun 24 2018, 6:55 am
noodles?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)