Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Sleepaway camp for girl with mild special needs

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 9:24 pm
I'm not asking for this year--I know it's WAAAAAY too late for that!--but thinking towards the future: Does anyone have experience sending a girl with mild special needs to sleepaway camp--either a special camp or regular camp with accommodations? My teen DD has a language-based learning disability, is slower to follow instructions, catch on to games, etc. and has some social difficulties because she is so much less sophisticated than her peers. She is generally quiet and well behaved but has occasional meltdowns due to rigid thinking etc. She wouldn't need a one-on-one shadow, but definitely more personal attention than your average camper gets.

Ideas? TIA!

shantelle

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 10:50 pm
Kaylie

nicole81

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 11:01 pm
Yup, Kaylie. I also recommend calling Yachad and talking to Nechama Braun to see if any of their programs might be a fit.

momX4

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 11:09 pm
Dont let the date stop you. Call Kayle and Yachad tomorrow and ask. You never know.

cnc

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 11:09 pm
camp Kaylie

amother
Lime

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 11:15 pm
If you’re chasidish, I know Belz has some special need department. Not sure though how functional or “special” these girls are.
May be too extreme for your daughter, I have no idea but maybe worth a call.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 11:27 pm
Belz program is called Libi. It's a chassidish program they don't accept more than 15 girls. Majority are Down syndrome.
I know a girl that will be in the program this year that sounds very much like the description of your daughter.
Maybe she can join a regular camp. Ask them if they can accommodate her needs & have someone look after her when needed.
If she can manage on her own she sounds very much like she's too high functioning for a special needs program.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, May 30 2018, 11:45 pm
OP here. Thanks to all who replied. We're not chasidish. Camp Kaylie sounds like it could work, in terms of the mix of special needs and typical kids. Are most of the kids there New Yorkers, or are there OOTers as well? What's the tznius level like? (Bec of my dd's black and white thinking, she has a hard time understanding that people can be "frum" even though they don't keep exactly the same standards we do.)

momX4

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 12:12 am
amother wrote:
OP here. Thanks to all who replied. We're not chasidish. Camp Kaylie sounds like it could work, in terms of the mix of special needs and typical kids. Are most of the kids there New Yorkers, or are there OOTers as well? What's the tznius level like? (Bec of my dd's black and white thinking, she has a hard time understanding that people can be "frum" even though they don't keep exactly the same standards we do.)

There is a dress code: Check out the website.

For Girls:
- Skirts are expected to cover the knee at all times (sitting and standing)
- Shirt sleeves are expected to cover the elbow
- Shabbos shoes should be closed-toe or worn with socks or stockings
- All bathing suits must cover the midriff. One piece and tankini
bathing suits are allowed. Any other bathing suit may be worn
under a t-shirt

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 12:35 am
Camp Migdal( Mishkon) now has a new division for higher functioning kids. Look into it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children