Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Landlord & openhouse
1  2  3  Next

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 1:06 am
We were put in somewhat of an awkward position by our landlord, and to make a long story short, they told us that they want to sell our house and we made plans to move--but would mean leaving before our lease is up. When we explained why moving during the summer made sense, our landlords agreed, but it also meant that they wanted to get moving ASAP on selling the house. They were initially guided that the house would be in high demand due to a great, desirable location--which it is. However, when I heard the asking price considering that the house has major flaws, I think that the price is outrageous--its asking "top dollar" for an "old" house. Our landlord's justification is that the kitchen is "brand new" and looks gorgeous, but the design makes no sense--one of the prospective buyers agreed with my assessment. One of the bathrooms needs a complete makeover and some other parts of the house need major updating--if not renovations. Before he redid the kitchen, the house was vacant for several months before we rented it. Thus, despite having several people come look at the house, so far no takers. However, the feedback we got was about "cleanliness"--we were given short notice, on a holiday weekend when we already had non-negotiable plans. We did a lot of cleaning with the time that we had but we have little kids--including a needy baby, and we both work full-time and do not have regular cleaning help so it probably looked more "lived in" than "open house ready". Any cleaning we usually have done gets undone in 5 mins--but we were told "don't worry about it". Nevertheless tonight We got an "ultimatum" that they will pay for a "cleaning" to have the open house when we will be out of town in the near future, but that if the house doesn't sell while we're still living here, they may hold us accountable for the lost rent. We are maskim for the cleaning help, but we dont' think that they will get their asking price regardless of the "cleanliness" but because the house just really isn't as "top of the market" as they think it is. How do we respectfully convey to our landlord that their house isn't as great as they think it is so that they don't hold us to the lost rent?

tichellady

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 1:45 am
Why not focus on the fact that you had a lease and they wanted to end it early and you are under no obligation to do so ( unless I’m missing something)

amother
Peach

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 2:05 am
They should pay for cleaning. You should not and cannot be held responsible for whether or not the house sells. They are welcome to show it after you move out.

You shouldn't be talking to people who come to see the house. Discussing the kitchen layout with a prospective buyer is interfering.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 2:09 am
tichellady wrote:
Why not focus on the fact that you had a lease and they wanted to end it early and you are under no obligation to do so ( unless I’m missing something)

I think the op wanted to end the lease early, not the other way around. Op, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 2:41 am
amother wrote:
I think the op wanted to end the lease early, not the other way around. Op, please correct me if I'm wrong.

No, she wanted to end it at a more convenient and planable time. A couple months earlier or later is more inconvenient.

Don’t discuss the problems with the house with the potential buyers.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 2:47 am
Do you have written confirmation that the landlord agreed to end the lease early. If so, he can pound sand for his lost rental income. If there is no written communication, it becomes more problematic. Given how difficult it is to compel a tenant to move if they want to make trouble, your landlord should be kissing your feet that you will vacate the premises and he can promise prospective buyers that it will be delivered vacant.

I agree that in no way should you be communicating with any prospective buyers because anything you say can be viewed as interfering with a potential sale.

The landlord has unrealistic ideas regarding the sale of home. Any home put on the market needs to be thoroughly deep cleaned and the landlord should pay for that but a home that is occupied by four children is never going to look "staged" in the sense that most people prepare a home for viewings.

happyone

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 7:16 am
If he offered to pay for cleaning, take the offer. The asking price or flaws with layout or issues are really none of your business.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 9:18 am
I barely said anything to anyone, but I heard one couple who wasn't going through the realtor talking as I was walking them through the house privately and they made these comments. I only felt the need to say "something" because we ended up putting in an additional temporary piece that doesn't look as "gorgeous" as the rest of the kitchen (looks "installed" but it isn't), but the kitchen isn't functional without it. All I was trying to point out that it doesn't have to stay. but there are GLARING flaws with the kitchen. I agree that the best part about the house is the location and several people wanted the house just for the location alone, but for THAT price they didn't want to have to put in so much work.

Also, correct, we "made plans" but only because we were told out-of-the-blue like a month ago that they had NO intention of renewing our lease and were intent on selling (major change of plans from when we signed the lease and they claimed to be looking for a "long-term client".) Thus, for a family with young kids, its not realistic to expect us to find a new place to live where we are. Its becoming unaffordable and we were planning on only renewing our lease until the end of next school year. We thought that if they were so bent on selling, it was doing them a favor by "getting out early." Thus, we put our balls in motion to get out. They were understanding of our position and are trying to be reasonable.

While, yes, I think them paying for cleaning help is the absolute right thing to do--especially we are trying to sort, organize, junk etc. in preparation for our move--aside from "4 kids clutter". We really put forth a good-faith effort considering we were told late Thurs/Friday that people were coming Sunday/Monday and we had plans to be out of the house most of Sunday and early Monday. But if that is "not enough" because he's delusional to think that this house is worth that much, why is that OUR fault?

Sadie

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 9:35 am
The most important thing is, as Amarante pointed out, did the landlord offer to let you out of your lease early in writing? Even in email/WhatsApp? If so he can’t just change his mind later and decide you’re on the hook for his lost rent. Same if it’s not in writing, just harder to prove if he wants to take you to court.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 9:38 am
It's not your fault if he's overpriced the house, but it is also not your business.

What do you stand to gain by badmouthing the house to prospective buyers? That's really not appropriate behavior.

So just to be clear. You had a lease that expires in a while, let's say December 2018. The landlord gave you plenty of advance notice that he would not be renewing the lease. You said that it would be better for you to terminate earlier so that you can move in the summer and he agreed. That's fine, but he's doing you a favor by letting you out of your obligation early. He's showing flexibility here, and so should you.

I have been both a tenant and a landlord and have some experience in these matters. I have to say that you are being unhelpful and actively interfering in the sale of the house.

Please, clean up for a day and then stay out of the way when the house is being shown.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 9:51 am
Do you have a written contract?
If not, once you leave he has no way to go after you. He would have no proof you’re a year lease versus a monthly lease.
General cleanliness and organization is your responsibility. They want to see the basics are in order.

For now, contact should be by email, text or WhatsApp so that everything is documented.

You can email him something along these lines (correct the dates):
as per our agreement, the lease ends June 2019. However you have requested to terminate early, before Sept 2018, so that you can sell the property empty. Lease ends on the date we vacate the property.

Deep cleaning of the property for an open house is the responsibility of the landlord. Please provide 24 hours notice so that we can try to plan accordingly.

Thank you for understanding,
Mrs Tenant.

lavenderchimes

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 9:53 am
You should absolutely take the cleaning help. It might not be fair for him to "penalize" you for breaking the lease early, but it is legal for him to do so (according to standard lease terms -- which you have, yes?) unless you have written evidence to the contrary. You should really consult a lawyer.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 10:18 am
amother wrote:
It's not your fault if he's overpriced the house, but it is also not your business.

What do you stand to gain by badmouthing the house to prospective buyers? That's really not appropriate behavior.

So just to be clear. You had a lease that expires in a while, let's say December 2018. The landlord gave you plenty of advance notice that he would not be renewing the lease. You said that it would be better for you to terminate earlier so that you can move in the summer and he agreed. That's fine, but he's doing you a favor by letting you out of your obligation early. He's showing flexibility here, and so should you.

I have been both a tenant and a landlord and have some experience in these matters. I have to say that you are being unhelpful and actively interfering in the sale of the house.

Please, clean up for a day and then stay out of the way when the house is being shown.

We did that! We are being completely cooperative with the sale because we do understand that implication. The "agreement" is mentioned in a what'sapp text, and I have a voicemail recording of out landlord telling how his family is "absouletely" intending to sell.

However, since we were "blamed" for the "condition" of the house after showing it I got "insulted" because I don't feel it was the "condition" when it is the features he is SO proud of. I'm merely commenting on the things that WERE said without me telling them anything-- I only didn't want the "extra piece" in the kitchen to be the breaking point. Most of the things that are the "best" features of the house were things that people flat out said "I'm just going to take that out"--but for this price people are going to want to move in and be done. There is NO way he's going to get the asking price.

enneamom

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 10:30 am
It's not your business how much he's asking, and it's not your fault if he can't sell. Simple as that. Don't do more than you have to. He's welcome to pay for cleaning if he wants to show the house, with reasonable advance notice.

Your part in this doesn't have to be as large as you're making it. You can relax and focus on your own house-hunting.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 11:07 am
amother wrote:
We were put in somewhat of an awkward position by our landlord, and to make a long story short, they told us that they want to sell our house

This jumped out at me.

They are trying to sell their house. You seem too attached.

(sounds terribly frustrating to live through what you are living through. Clearly all costs associated with selling their house, including deep cleaning should be born by the seller, not the tenant.).

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 12:02 pm
Op, the seller will not sell at asking price regardless of the condition and/or cleanliness of the house. As a local mortgage broker I am in touch with realtors on a daily basis. The consensus, regardless of specific location in Monsey and its environs, is that the market is softening. It has certainly shifted from being a seller's market to a buyer's market at this point. More and more homes are being sold for less than asking price after sitting around on the market for longer than the sellers thought it would.

The seller is frustrated by this. Just do your best at keeping the house as clutter free as possible and aside for a smile and greeting stay away from potential buyers. The rest is up to Hashem.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 2:03 pm
"Our house"=the house we've been living in, don't over analyze it. I hate this house. WE were offered to buy it and I'm like "no way!"

I think it will sell. The location is too good--but the price is really steep--in my mind over 100K higher than what it should be. But I don't want the flaws of this house to become OUR headache because it wont sell because in his mind its "because we are still living there." How are we supposed to be working on packing and going through papers and toys while people are "coming through the house"? And its not like we can just "shtoop" everything in the closet to make it look surface neat when they may look in the closet. My kids are very unhelpful much to our chagrin, but they are young. This is why we wanted to get out early so that we won't be in the way.

enneamom

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 2:06 pm
amother wrote:
"Our house"=the house we've been living in, don't over analyze it. I hate this house. WE were offered to buy it and I'm like "no way!"

I think it will sell. The location is too good--but the price is really steep--in my mind over 100K higher than what it should be. But I don't want the flaws of this house to become OUR headache because it wont sell because in his mind its "because we are still living there." How are we supposed to be working on packing and going through papers and toys while people are "coming through the house"? And its not like we can just "shtoop" everything in the closet to make it look surface neat when they may look in the closet. My kids are very unhelpful much to our chagrin, but they are young. This is why we wanted to get out early so that we won't be in the way.

So??

He wants to break the lease, doesn't he?

You have every right to still be living there.

He has a choice between rental income or a market-ready house. He can't have his cake and eat it, too.

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 2:19 pm
amother wrote:

Lots of homes in my neighborhood sold for more than $100,000 over what people said they were worth. People also said the owners were crazy, and the houses wouldn't sell.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 2:53 pm
Squishy wrote:
Lots of homes in my neighborhood sold for more than $100,000 over what people said they were worth. People also said the owners were crazy, and the houses wouldn't sell.

The key word here is the bolded above - sold - as in past tense. They are no longer 'selling' for more than $100,000 over what people said they were worth. The market is changing.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics