Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Landlord & openhouse
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 2:57 pm
amother wrote:
"Our house"=the house we've been living in, don't over analyze it. I hate this house. WE were offered to buy it and I'm like "no way!"

I think it will sell. The location is too good--but the price is really steep--in my mind over 100K higher than what it should be. But I don't want the flaws of this house to become OUR headache because it wont sell because in his mind its "because we are still living there." How are we supposed to be working on packing and going through papers and toys while people are "coming through the house"? And its not like we can just "shtoop" everything in the closet to make it look surface neat when they may look in the closet. My kids are very unhelpful much to our chagrin, but they are young. This is why we wanted to get out early so that we won't be in the way.

It’s his problem not yours. If he blames you? So what, it’s his issue that he is trying to sell with tenants still in the house. He has no financial recorse against you. Let him be upset.

Just don’t talk to any more buyers.

studying_torah

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 3:38 pm
Who wants to end the lease early the tenant or landlord?
When we moved and ended our lease early, we had to pay the rent either until the landlord found new tenants or until our lease was up. It was in the contract.
Check your contract, it might have something similar op and you might have to pay up.
If so it's really in your best interest that the house sells quickly; so do your part to get it very clean and uncluttered (buy some pretty boxes that u can shove stuff into) & do not talk to buyers at all. Unless you're taking the piece of kitchen equipment with you, you don't need to say it isn't installed.

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 4:23 pm
amother wrote:
The key word here is the bolded above - sold - as in past tense. They are no longer 'selling' for more than $100,000 over what people said they were worth. The market is changing.

One is $150,000 over what everyone said it was worth. It closed this month.

Orchid

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 5:12 pm
amother wrote:
This jumped out at me.

They are trying to sell their house. You seem too attached.

(sounds terribly frustrating to live through what you are living through. Clearly all costs associated with selling their house, including deep cleaning should be born by the seller, not the tenant.).

This is ridiculous. I have rented for many years and always referred to the house as "our house." And I was also "attached" to MY house.

Guys, OP is too involved because her landlord made her involved by tying his lack of success selling it to her habits. So she is defending herself from this ridiculous argument by stating all the reasons it's not selling. She doesn't need everyone lecturing her to "stay out" - her landlord made it her problem!

OP - I suggest you firmly tell him his lack of success has nothing to do with you. You will take him up on his deep cleaning offer and offer to keep it clean within reason and with reasonable notice. Don't get defensive and tell him why it's not selling. Just reiterate you cannot be held responsible for his lack of success.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 3:08 pm
So now almost 2 months later. We went for away for a pilot trip, cleaned the house as much as possible so that there could be an open house while we were away, came back house was shown a few times and then I said--that's it, we need to start packing. House still isn't sold. Even were told there were a few "interested" buyers--still on the market. The market is on the verge of getting flooded with houses in this neighborhood b/c people a realizing that this neighborhood is desireable but unaffordable. I don't know what the list price is b/c its not listed on Zillow--but I don't think he's come down much if at all. We are now in full-blown packing mode, boxes everywhere. He wants to have an open house this weekend. How will it sell now if it didn't then? How do we not get stuck for the rent+security deposit. b/c of his outrageous asking price?

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 3:16 pm
amother wrote:
So now almost 2 months later. We went for away for a pilot trip, cleaned the house as much as possible so that there could be an open house while we were away, came back house was shown a few times and then I said--that's it, we need to start packing. House still isn't sold. Even were told there were a few "interested" buyers--still on the market. The market is on the verge of getting flooded with houses in this neighborhood b/c people a realizing that this neighborhood is desireable but unaffordable. I don't know what the list price is b/c its not listed on Zillow--but I don't think he's come down much if at all. We are now in full-blown packing mode, boxes everywhere. He wants to have an open house this weekend. How will it sell now if it didn't then? How do we not get stuck for the rent+security deposit. b/c of his outrageous asking price?

When does your lease end?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 4:05 pm
amother wrote:

Don’t move out until your lease is up, and give proper notice.

If owner asks you to leave early, document it.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 4:14 pm
Our lease is up in January, but because we were told that they were "definitely selling" (I have it in a saved voicemail) at the end of our lease, we realized that we needed to move this summer based on my industry and the nature of the market in our area--when we explained this to our landlord he was initially agreeable to it. They told us when we signed the lease that they wanted a "long-term tenant" and we WANTED to stay long term, but then barely 1/2 way through our lease we got word that they wanted to sell. We weren't planning on staying in this neighborhood past this house. But its like, I think this house would sell quickly, just not for the price he's asking. Why should WE be "liable" b/c they are delusional about the worth of this house? The same reasons why this house isn't selling are among the reasons we don't WANT to keep living here.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 4:21 pm
Is it in your lease that you have to allow him access to show it? Can you tell him that you’ll cooperate and continue to show it IF he will let you out of the lease? It’s in his interest to let you leave now, it’s easier to sell an empty house.

InnerMe

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 4:27 pm
amother wrote:

Sounds so tough.

His asking price, is not your business. Take it off your head.

Since you moved up your moving date to accommodate him, which is no small sacrifice, he should be accommodating of that. It only makes sense. Explain to him your situation, and tell him frankly, what the house looks like now.

Like another poster said, he can't have his cake and eat it too. You need some more communication here, and he needs to readjust his expectations.

InnerMe

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 4:30 pm
watergirl wrote:
Is it in your lease that you have to allow him access to show it? Can you tell him that you’ll cooperate and continue to show it IF he will let you out of the lease? It’s in his interest to let you leave now, it’s easier to sell an empty house.

But you are forgetting that OP is leaving early to accommodate HIM. He backtracked on the lease terms by telling OP that he'd like to sell this house, and would like to sell it empty. OP than made the decision that now would be a good time to move, if she needs to move anyways.

I think it's unfair of him to hold her responsible for the rent, when he was the one asking OP to backtrack on their agreement.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 4:35 pm
amother wrote:
Our lease is up in January, but because we were told that they were "definitely selling" (I have it in a saved voicemail) at the end of our lease, we realized that we needed to move this summer based on my industry and the nature of the market in our area--when we explained this to our landlord he was initially agreeable to it. They told us when we signed the lease that they wanted a "long-term tenant" and we WANTED to stay long term, but then barely 1/2 way through our lease we got word that they wanted to sell. We weren't planning on staying in this neighborhood past this house. But its like, I think this house would sell quickly, just not for the price he's asking. Why should WE be "liable" b/c they are delusional about the worth of this house? The same reasons why this house isn't selling are among the reasons we don't WANT to keep living here.

Forget about his price. Not your problem.

mommyhood

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 4:40 pm
InnerMe wrote:
But you are forgetting that OP is leaving early to accommodate HIM. He backtracked on the lease terms by telling OP that he'd like to sell this house, and would like to sell it empty. OP than made the decision that now would be a good time to move, if she needs to move anyways.

I think it's unfair of him to hold her responsible for the rent, when he was the one asking OP to backtrack on their agreement.

No, the landlord said he's selling at the end of the lease. She decided that since the lease is not renewing she wants to leave earlier since it's better for her to more in the summer. Since she's leaving earlier the landlord is trying to sell earlier.
Unless the landlord formally agreed to end the lease early it sounds like she's stuck. Lesson learned, get everything in writing.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 4:50 pm
mommyhood wrote:
No, the landlord said he's selling at the end of the lease. She decided that since the lease is not renewing she wants to leave earlier since it's better for her to more in the summer. Since she's leaving earlier the landlord is trying to sell earlier.
Unless the landlord formally agreed to end the lease early it sounds like she's stuck. Lesson learned, get everything in writing.

It’s not too late - no one is demanding anything of anyone yet. OP is anxious of what could be.

Time is now to put things in writing.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 5:39 pm
So when this whole "About-face" came up, we were told that the landlord had a "serious buyer, but it would be when the lease was up" and that they were "100% interested in selling" at the end of our current lease--in January. We are a family of young children--who moves in January/February? When we found this house we had been looking for 2 years and we were really maxed out of our old place and it was this or nothing else on the market. We were only planning on renewing our lease until next summer. But we only finalized our moving plans when we heard that they were "100% interested in selling". Our landlord doesn't even live in this city. He's doing this remotely, I don't know if they are aware of how competitive this market is and its going from a seller's market to a buyers market. There are like 5 homes for sale between my block and the next block. And both houses on this block have now been on the market for months. It's a very desireable block--but not if you need to do 10s of thousands in renovations!! I can understand that they are "losing money in rent" and that's why they'd like to hold US liable--but as I'm learning from our processing in buying our new home, I don't see how the seller is going to sell this house a)while we are still here b)if he drops his price 100K he will still get a tidy profit off of this house I'd say if they just want to sell the house, take what you can get and run. This neighborhood is going to turn-over b/c its so expensive so cash-in while you can.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 6:43 pm
amother wrote:
So when this whole "About-face" came up, we were told that the landlord had a "serious buyer, but it would be when the lease was up" and that they were "100% interested in selling" at the end of our current lease--in January. We are a family of young children--who moves in January/February? When we found this house we had been looking for 2 years and we were really maxed out of our old place and it was this or nothing else on the market. We were only planning on renewing our lease until next summer. But we only finalized our moving plans when we heard that they were "100% interested in selling". Our landlord doesn't even live in this city. He's doing this remotely, I don't know if they are aware of how competitive this market is and its going from a seller's market to a buyers market. There are like 5 homes for sale between my block and the next block. And both houses on this block have now been on the market for months. It's a very desireable block--but not if you need to do 10s of thousands in renovations!! I can understand that they are "losing money in rent" and that's why they'd like to hold US liable--but as I'm learning from our processing in buying our new home, I don't see how the seller is going to sell this house a)while we are still here b)if he drops his price 100K he will still get a tidy profit off of this house I'd say if they just want to sell the house, take what you can get and run. This neighborhood is going to turn-over b/c its so expensive so cash-in while you can.

You really are too invested in what landlord is doing.

Keep moving forward as you are. Communicate in writing about your joint agreement that you would be breaking your lease, and confirm your last date in the house.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 7:54 pm
If you gave a security deposit and one extra month rent up front to be used for your last month’s rent, then apply that to your last two months rent (and don’t pay the landlord), only if your landlord is the type to hold you responsible for not selling his property, and if he won’t refund the two months extra you’ve paid.

I had a landlord who changed the locks on the day we were moving. We still had some things left inside as it was Erev Shabbos. Landlord charged us for another month after the move (lease said two weeks extra pay to cover time to repaint and fix the floors. If we don’t do a quick clean up was another penalty. Yet they changed the locks on us and didn’t want to allow us to get the pictures, crystals... on Motzai Shabbos. Only when police appeared did they open the door and allow us to take out whatever we still had left inside. After threatening we would take them to smalls claims court they refunded most of the money due to us.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jul 09 2018, 8:53 pm
amother wrote:
If you gave a security deposit and one extra month rent up front to be used for your last month’s rent, then apply that to your last two months rent (and don’t pay the landlord), only if your landlord is the type to hold you responsible for not selling his property, and if he won’t refund the two months extra you’ve paid.

I had a landlord who changed the locks on the day we were moving. We still had some things left inside as it was Erev Shabbos. Landlord charged us for another month after the move (lease said two weeks extra pay to cover time to repaint and fix the floors. If we don’t do a quick clean up was another penalty. Yet they changed the locks on us and didn’t want to allow us to get the pictures, crystals... on Motzai Shabbos. Only when police appeared did they open the door and allow us to take out whatever we still had left inside. After threatening we would take them to smalls claims court they refunded most of the money due to us.

I'm sorry you went through that. I'm not sure if you're allowed to do that legally. I think you have to pay the rent and then after that they return the security deposit if they see you didn't destroy the place. At least that's how it was when I was a tenant in the past.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 12:43 am
amother wrote:
I'm sorry you went through that. I'm not sure if you're allowed to do that legally. I think you have to pay the rent and then after that they return the security deposit if they see you didn't destroy the place. At least that's how it was when I was a tenant in the past.

They already told us that they expected July's rent, I'm involved in this because I got a call today from the realtor saying that they want to have an open house this weekend. That means I need to have the house in showable condition this Sunday, that while I'm packing I have to make sure that the house is still going to be presentable. Yes, I'm grateful that they gave us a week's notice--I mean I've gotten calls from them "Hi, Can I come in 5 minutes?" when I'm in the middle of sorting through clothes and toys or bedtime. I had been hoping that by now the showings would be done so that I could focus on packing and not worrying about the house being in pristine condition. Also, I chose to go on a family outing yesterday figuring we'd have next Sunday to work all day being the 9-days and all. Now instead of having our last full-Sunday to work on packing, I have to do everything while my husband is at work, put everything on hold, find something for us to do for 3 hours out of the house during the 9-days b/c the landlord wants the house sold before we leave.

enneamom

Post Tue, Jul 10 2018, 12:51 am
You might want to consult a landlord-tenant attorney, to clarify what your rights are in this situation. There's a limit to what we can advise you here without knowing all the ins and outs of the story or the relevant legal issues.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics