Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
How to mimick store bought healthy muffins

momof2+?

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 8:49 pm
WHen I buy a fat free muffin from the store, what are they putting inside? Applesauce? My fat free muffins come out more moist than the bought ones. Maybe it is coming out different because they make the muffins so big? They also manage to make the outside so deliciously crispy, but not brown. How?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 9:09 pm
Ususally whole wheat flour, rolled oats, honey, applesauce. The stores use more commercial ingredients than home.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 12:01 am
I feel a bit ridiculous writing this as amother but I literally just had this conversation today with a group of friends so...

Use pastry flour, not all purpose.

Honey will make baked goods gummy. Use raw sugar, coconut sugar or maple syrup.

Oats also make baked goods gummy. Put them on top but not in batter.

Apple sauce comes in different consistencies. Less fine means a gummier finished product. Use baby apple sauce.

Commercial ovens are exclusively convection. Use the convect bake setting on your oven.

For any kind of bread or muffin where a crisp crust is the goal, preheat the oven to 50° higher than bake temp. Toss a handful of ice cubes onto the bottom of the oven right after you put your pans in, close the door and drop the temp.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 2:01 am
amother wrote:
I feel a bit ridiculous writing this as amother but I literally just had this conversation today with a group of friends so...

Use pastry flour, not all purpose.

Honey will make baked goods gummy. Use raw sugar, coconut sugar or maple syrup.

Oats also make baked goods gummy. Put them on top but not in batter.

Apple sauce comes in different consistencies. Less fine means a gummier finished product. Use baby apple sauce.

Commercial ovens are exclusively convection. Use the convect bake setting on your oven.

For any kind of bread or muffin where a crisp crust is the goal, preheat the oven to 50° higher than bake temp. Toss a handful of ice cubes onto the bottom of the oven right after you put your pans in, close the door and drop the temp.

What does convection baking do differently than regular?
What do you mean by gummy?

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 10:19 am
amother wrote:
What does convection baking do differently than regular?
What do you mean by gummy?

Convection baking makes the oven temp more even. It shortens bake time so the baked goods are more moist, and you can bake on multiple racks and not need to switch.

Gummy means there's not a good crumb. Think of the difference from a muffin with sugar and egg and oil and a muffin with applesauce and honey. The sugar/egg one will have crumb, a poorly done honey/applesauce will be gummy. Oil, egg and sugar are key to a good crumb, so if you're cutting them out you should try to compensate so you can get a better texture.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 11:09 am
Ew I hate crumbly muffins! I use applesauce oats and honey in my muffins and they are moist and delicious

Chickpea

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 11:26 am
amother wrote:
Ew I hate crumbly muffins! I use applesauce oats and honey in my muffins and they are moist and delicious

Cake and/or bread crumb are not the same thing as *crumbly*. In baking lingo, *crumb*
refers to the texture of the cake or bread. It refers to the pattern of holes inside.

rgr

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 11:42 am
Using real metal tins will create the crispy outside that your looking for
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking