Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Going away and my mom watching kids

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 8:58 pm
We had a pretty rough year, lots of different things with my health and husbands job. Bh thank you Hashem slowly getting better.....We need a vacation desperately. Kids are 3 and 5. My mom will watch them at my house, they are out of the house at school from 9 to 3:30 so really just a little bit in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon. We'd go away 3 full days. Has anyone ever done this? My kids love love my mom and she gives them tons of undivided attention.....

amother
Brown

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 9:04 pm
You’re lucky!!

amother
Azure

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 9:08 pm
Lucky you that your mom will do this for you! I can almost never go away because of child care, count your blessings!! Go without worry & take advantage of every minute!

amother
Oak

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 9:10 pm
My mom does the same...with more kids though...if she offered and shes ready? Its the best option ...lucky you

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 9:22 pm
Great plan! Hope it works out!!

Amarante

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 9:44 pm
Sounds perfect for everybody. My mother loved having her grandchildren stay over - even for several days. She once flew to Canada so my SIL could handle a work emergency. The grandchildren develop a very special relationship when they can bond with the Bubbe for several days in a caretaking situation as opposed to making visits for a few hours.

chocolatecake

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 10:28 pm
Count your blessings and enjoy your vacation. If dh and I ever go out even for an hr in the evenings it’s cuz I found a highschool girl to watch the kids

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 1:18 am
chocolatecake wrote:
Count your blessings and enjoy your vacation. If dh and I ever go out even for an hr in the evenings it’s cuz I found a highschool girl to watch the kids

Ditto!! OP, you are very lucky. I have friends who are able to do this and go on week long vacations without their kids.
My mother would never do this for me.

SingALong

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 7:23 am
You have a wonderful mother!!!

Some ways to make her stay easier:
Hang up a paper with a few important numbers, neighbors, school dr, etc
School address
Kids typical daily schedule
Even if you discuss it it’s nice to have it written down

Have all the kids laundry clean, maybe even pair an outfit for each day.

Ask your mom what she prefers to do about suppers. Perhaps cook suppers in advance and freeze, your mother can take it out of the freezer and just reheat. Leave numbers of local places for takeout if your kids love it or as a back up.

Enjoy your vacation!

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 7:44 am
SingALong wrote:
You have a wonderful mother!!!

Some ways to make her stay easier:
Hang up a paper with a few important numbers, neighbors, school dr, etc
School address
Kids typical daily schedule
Even if you discuss it it’s nice to have it written down

Have all the kids laundry clean, maybe even pair an outfit for each day.

Ask your mom what she prefers to do about suppers. Perhaps cook suppers in advance and freeze, your mother can take it out of the freezer and just reheat. Leave numbers of local places for takeout if your kids love it or as a back up.

Enjoy your vacation!

Agree with everything.
You’ll have to put in extra work to make sure your mom has an easy time as possible.

You know your kids. Are they difficult or easyto take care. Do they listen. Do they fight a lot, or for the most part play together.

Is your mom physically able. If not maybe you can have a high school girl that needs to do chested come over in the afternoon and take the girls to the Park, or something your mom won’t be able to do.

And last but not least send her a gift. Not needed but it shows how much you Appreciated. A nice Thank You with it, of course.
BTW, is your dad coming over as well. A gift for him is also nice.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 7:52 am
Good for you. Lucky that your mom lives in town!

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 8:56 am
We did it around those ages, it was amazing! The one thing that helped, was to call or skype for a few minutes with the kids before bed - that was the time when they were a little sad we weren't there, and a quick skype/phone call cheered them right up and made it easier for everyone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics