Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Loud chewing

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 9:11 pm
How do I sensitively point out to my 15 year old daughter that she chews very loudly?

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 9:16 pm
Honey, I'm getting older and my ears are becoming sensitive to sounds, including benign sounds such as chewing. Would you be willing to chew a bit quieter? And I will do the same for you when your ears become sensitive to noise.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, May 31 2018, 10:07 pm
This is basic manners and something that should have been taught much earlier. Not something to be overly sensitive about imo. It's part of being mentschlich.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 6:40 am
The poor girl has a controlling mom. Thats what I will say. My great grandmother used to yell at my mom for slurping the soup and my mom was like me and my husband will slurp it together and what do you know. Just leave it.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 6:49 am
amother wrote:
The poor girl has a controlling mom. Thats what I will say. My great grandmother used to yell at my mom for slurping the soup and my mom was like me and my husband will slurp it together and what do you know. Just leave it.

Slurping and loud chewing is not considered to be polite nor good table manners. It's simply uncouth. Table manners matter.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 7:33 am
Lol! The kid is 15 and has yet to be taught the most basic of table manners. I'd hardly call that controlling. Unless you only ever eat alone, yes, it's important.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 8:33 am
Some of my kids, teen and younger eat loudly too. It's eating with their mouth open. I say it straight out, EAT QUIETER and EAT WITH YOU MOUTH CLOSED. Okay, I don't yell, but I do say it, but I've been saying it forever. Obviously it doesn't get through, but for those few seconds, I don't have to cringe.

I don't know how they do it. I've tried eating with my mouth open and I couldn't. Confused

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Jun 01 2018, 11:53 am
amother wrote:
How do I sensitively point out to my 15 year old daughter that she chews very loudly?

I chew loudly due to a breathing issue. Get her checked out.
Do not make her feel embarrassed though...my parents did that to me.

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Jun 02 2018, 2:16 pm
amother wrote:
Lol! The kid is 15 and has yet to be taught the most basic of table manners. I'd hardly call that controlling. Unless you only ever eat alone, yes, it's important.

What do you do about an 18 year who lost her mother at a young age and was never taught table manners? My SDD is an adult for all intents and purposes, yet eats like a child. Touches all her food, slurps, licks her plate, ignores serving spoons, allows her hair to get into her food, etc.
I can’t stand being at the dinner table with her. Yet, I’m not her mother and she doesn’t take criticism well from me (or from DH for that matter). If I mention “please use the serving spoon”, she gives me a dirty look.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jun 02 2018, 2:50 pm
If it was just me and DD, I would gently remind her to chew with her mouth closed. If we were in company, I would give her a hand signal (it looked like I had my hand in a sock puppet, and I made the "close mouth" motion.)

I second having her checked out by an ENT. Sinus issues can be subtle, but getting them fixed will be a huge help. Once DD got her tonsils out her eating got much nicer.

Stbx DH had the most horrible table manners I've ever seen. Pigs at a trough were more delicate. I had to sit at an angle where I didn't have him in my line of sight, and tried desperately to ingore the sounds he made. DD was so disgusted she usually took her plate to her room and ate in bed.

Please don't let your daughter end up like that!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children