Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What can a 7 year old do in the kitchen?
Previous  1  2

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Jun 02 2018, 11:29 pm
DVOM wrote:
My 7 year old loves to cook and bake. At this point, he can make almost everything I can, with supervision. I do let him turn on the oven and burners if I'm in the room watching. He loves making scrambled or sunny side up eggs, pancakes, french toast, homemade pizza, schnitzel, meatballs. Before a yom tov he's right there with me, making meat turnovers, roasts, cleaning chickens. He also loves to bake and does a really good job. I feel like I'm finally seeing the rewards of always allowing him to 'help' when he was younger. This kid has been wanting to cook and bake since he was two, and I've always let him, even though as a littler kid the help was not very helpful. Now though he is really pretty independent in the kitchen and so much fun to have around to help me cook. Most important part: our ironclad deal is that whatever he uses, he cleans up.

This is so encouraging! My three year old loves to cook and bake and has a couple "jobs" in the kitchen, but mainly just gets in my way. He can make the schnitzel all by himself, and homemade pizza, baked ziti, mix up cakes/cookies, but I need to prep the ingredients for him of course. He loves helping me clean chicken, make knishes, throw stuff I cut up into pots. he even enjoys washing dishes with me. He "makes" a couple shabbos dishes almost all by himself every week.
But it would be easier for me to do all this myself.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sat, Jun 02 2018, 11:47 pm
My four year old has been peeling onions and garlic for over a year. My older ones can follow simple recipes to bake, prep etc. Clean up is still a problem.
With regards to eggs, I used to always double check when my kids cracked them; they are good at checking now. I admit I only by regular, non organic eggs. I found that the organics eggs were too often wasted because of blood spots.

BasMelech120

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 11:29 am
A 7-year-old can do so much!

I think it's great that you're wanting to support his passions.
Perhaps he and you can watch Chopped Junior or Masterchef Junior for inspiration.

egam

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 1:30 pm
My granddaughters get this set from Ikea at around age of 3.

https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catal.....6406/

It’s specifically designed for kids use. Getting their own set is like a right of passage for them 😉.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 3:08 pm
My 7 year old son is generally a god kid but doesn’t like doing chores. He complains and finds excuses not to do them. Any way I can motivate him besides for charts? Tia

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 6:20 pm
egam wrote:
My granddaughters get this set from Ikea at around age of 3.

https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catal.....6406/

It’s specifically designed for kids use. Getting their own set is like a right of passage for them 😉.

Do these really work? My son is begging me to be allowed to peel, and I wouldn't mind letting him if I knew it was safe.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children