Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Bariatric Surgery Outcomes
1  2  3  Next

jjudithc

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 4:41 pm
For those who have had weight-loss surgery, which type did you have? The staple one or the sleeve one? (Is there any other? Apologies, I know nothing about this!)

If you had it, how was the "aftermath"? How quickly could you go back to work/take care of your family again full-time? What have the long-term results been?

Thanks in advance. Asking for family member who's considering it. She hasn't gotten evaluated by a doctor yet.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 5:31 pm
I had the sleeve almost 4 years ago. The initial recovery was difficult and I spent an extra 2 days in the hospital due to the amount of pain I was in. But once I got past that, I was back to work a week after surgery.

I've lost over 120 pounds and have kept it off. I hit my goal of losing 110 lbs within 11 months. I then lost another 30 lbs, to the point where I was too thin, and purposely gained back 15 lbs to reach a healthier weight. I've also had two healthy pregnancies and deliveries since my surgery BH.

If your family member is on facebook, have them join kosher sleevers.

jjudithc

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 6:08 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I had the sleeve almost 4 years ago. The initial recovery was difficult and I spent an extra 2 days in the hospital due to the amount of pain I was in. But once I got past that, I was back to work a week after surgery.

I've lost over 120 pounds and have kept it off. I hit my goal of losing 110 lbs within 11 months. I then lost another 30 lbs, to the point where I was too thin, and purposely gained back 15 lbs to reach a healthier weight. I've also had two healthy pregnancies and deliveries since my surgery BH.

If your family member is on facebook, have them join kosher sleevers.

Amazing work! Good for you!

I'm glad to hear of the potential complications as well, and I will mention the facebook group. I don't think that particular family is on facebook but will find out.

Yasher koach

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 6:21 pm
I had the band done 7 years ago. Highly successful . Feel great. Almost 100 lbs down. It's a tool not a cure ! Best thing I've ever done.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 7:02 pm
I got the lap band 8 years ago. I lost 130 pounds and never regained them. However, I do occasionally throw up if I eat too fast or the wrong texture food. For me it was totally worth it.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 7:17 pm
amother wrote:
I got the lap band 8 years ago. I lost 130 pounds and never regained them. However, I do occasionally throw up if I eat too fast or the wrong texture food. For me it was totally worth it.

Not OP, but what does "wrong texture food" mean, and why would that make you throw up?

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 7:26 pm
Not OP, but I believe she can benefit if others join in with more questions.
I have been doing my own research on this and find that many people say that similar to other diets, they experience a honeymoon period with a lot of weight loss, but then struggle to finish losing and begin gaining back. This is from people with more than 8 years.

Can anyone tell if they've experienced this?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 7:37 pm
amother wrote:
Not OP, but what does "wrong texture food" mean, and why would that make you throw up?

Well if I eat more than half a sandwich on dense bread it can be an issue. I can’t eat more than 1 slice of pizza. My weight is very stable and I’m very happy with my band.

I heard that with gastric bypass etc. you lose weight faster but then regain. Also much of that weight loss is lean tissue, but the regain is fat. With the band it takes a few years but you get the same weight loss and don’t regain. That said, I know someone who had the band and lost nothing. She eats tons of chocolates and ice cream, which go down fine. I eat those too but not enough to regain.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 7:41 pm
amother wrote:
I have been doing my own research on this and find that many people say that similar to other diets, they experience a honeymoon period with a lot of weight loss, but then struggle to finish losing and begin gaining back. This is from people with more than 8 years.

Many people experience this, and many of them are also not following their post-op instructions with fidelity. The honeymoon period typically lasts 1-2 years. With the sleeve, it is common to realize early on that you can eat food you're not supposed to yet still lose weight. The problem is that as your stomach heals and your hunger gradually increases, eating these foods will really add up to excess calories, and you will gain back.

Just like any other diet, you need to follow the instructions for life if you want to keep the weight off. The surgery is only useful as a tool to jump start your weight loss and get you to a point you would not have gotten to without it. But beyond that it takes a lifetime of dietary changes to stay successful.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 7:52 pm
I had bypass. It was a complete failure after a couple of months. I can eat everything I ate before with no volume limits. It was incredibly painful and left me with permanent side effects. They offered to fix it for me. No thank you.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 7:53 pm
I did the band about 7 years ago. Lost about 90 lbs in 6 months which I maintained until I had another child after about 4 years with the band. I gained about 20 lbs then which I've been trying to lose ever since, but still 70 lbs down after 7+ years is a success in my book...

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jun 03 2018, 8:15 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Many people experience this, and many of them are also not following their post-op instructions with fidelity. The honeymoon period typically lasts 1-2 years. With the sleeve, it is common to realize early on that you can eat food you're not supposed to yet still lose weight. The problem is that as your stomach heals and your hunger gradually increases, eating these foods will really add up to excess calories, and you will gain back.

Just like any other diet, you need to follow the instructions for life if you want to keep the weight off. The surgery is only useful as a tool to jump start your weight loss and get you to a point you would not have gotten to without it. But beyond that it takes a lifetime of dietary changes to stay successful.

Thank you for your response.

My dream is actually to do the sleeve and use it to enable me to be successful with intuitive eating.

I have been very successful with learning to eat this way in a maintenance type of way. In fact, my weight has been steady (with in a five to eight pound range) for the past ten years.

I want to do the sleeve and then use it to eat less and in an intuitive way.

Anyone know of anyone who has done this successfully long term?

jjudithc

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 9:39 am
amother wrote:
Well if I eat more than half a sandwich on dense bread it can be an issue. I can’t eat more than 1 slice of pizza. My weight is very stable and I’m very happy with my band.

I heard that with gastric bypass etc. you lose weight faster but then regain. Also much of that weight loss is lean tissue, but the regain is fat. With the band it takes a few years but you get the same weight loss and don’t regain. That said, I know someone who had the band and lost nothing. She eats tons of chocolates and ice cream, which go down fine. I eat those too but not enough to regain.

This is really helpful. I wonder if it makes a difference--with the "regain"--if you work out. (Biased, as personal trainer Wink )
Well, I guess there's not a surgery that can completely control what you eat in the years after. But thank you for sharing which foods you can/can't eat.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 12:55 pm
amother wrote:

I was considering doing the band or sleeve an opted out when a dr told me that long term (past five years) most ppl gain back significant amount of weight.
Having said that I know at least four people that are a lot past the five year mark and are doing well (not thin but no longer obese)

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 1:17 pm
amother wrote:

AIUI, the sleeve actually diminishes hunger, while the lapband does not. One prominent doctor tells patients that "if you're an A+ person on Weight Watchers, the lapband will work for you. Otherwise, its not likely to." If I were an A+ person on Weight Watchers, why would I need to consider the lapband?

That said, I know people who have been very successful with the lapband. But at a cost. Its not that they have to stop after 1/2 a sandwich, its that eating enough challah for motzei is a struggle, and one simply cannot. It means that one person regularly has to excuse herself after appetizers lest she vomit -- and she's not always successful in keeping herself from doing so.

Lapband is no longer state of the art, and isn't even recommended in most cases anymore.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 5:29 pm
I had sleeve surgery last August. I only have 20% of my stomach left. I lost over hundred pounds. Woop dee doo...

On the plus side, I couldn't walk before I lost the weight. Still need hip surgery, but they wouldn't do it until I had this surgery first.

However, I eat like a toddler. Can't eat Shabbos/Yom Tov seudas. I have no pleasure in eating, even though I was a foodie my whole life.. If I drink one extra drop, or eat something, too sweet or spicy, I throw up.. More than 2 bites of pizza makes me nauseous..

DO NOT.... REPEAT DO NOT ... have this surgery for cosmetic reasons... I would only recommend it if its life and death, or you can't breath or walk..

jjudithc

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 5:40 pm
amother wrote:
I was considering doing the band or sleeve an opted out when a dr told me that long term (past five years) most ppl gain back significant amount of weight.
Having said that I know at least four people that are a lot past the five year mark and are doing well (not thin but no longer obese)

Oh no! What percentage?

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 5:53 pm
We have a friend who was niftar several years later as a result of bypass surgery. He acknowledged when he was sick at the end it was because he didn't follow the diet after the surgery. He left a wife and young children.

Not saying don't do it, but saying don't do it of you know there is a chance you won't follow through properly.

jjudithc

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 1:10 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
I had sleeve surgery last August. I only have 20% of my stomach left. I lost over hundred pounds. Woop dee doo...

On the plus side, I couldn't walk before I lost the weight. Still need hip surgery, but they wouldn't do it until I had this surgery first.

However, I eat like a toddler. Can't eat Shabbos/Yom Tov seudas. I have no pleasure in eating, even though I was a foodie my whole life.. If I drink one extra drop, or eat something, too sweet or spicy, I throw up.. More than 2 bites of pizza makes me nauseous..

DO NOT.... REPEAT DO NOT ... have this surgery for cosmetic reasons... I would only recommend it if its life and death, or you can't breath or walk..

Ahhhhh! I guess I'll be recommending against the sleeve. Yikes. I had no idea it could come to outcomes like this.

jjudithc

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 1:12 am
amother wrote:
We have a friend who was niftar several years later as a result of bypass surgery. He acknowledged when he was sick at the end it was because he didn't follow the diet after the surgery. He left a wife and young children.

Not saying don't do it, but saying don't do it of you know there is a chance you won't follow through properly.

That is just horrible. Sorry to be naive, but by bypass, is that the staples one? The stomach staple?

I'm seriously getting "sick to my stomach" reading some of these outcomes. You hear of "possible complications," but........
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise