Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Dd can't get up in the morning!

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 7:52 am
My youngest (in middle school) cannot get up on time, so she is always late. She's pretty upset about it, and can't figure out an alternative. She sets an alarm, but when the alarm goes off she either doesn't wake up, or gets up, turns it off, and goes back to sleep without any memory of it. This happens even when the alarm clock is across the room.

Because she is trying so hard, I help her, waking her multiple times, playing loud annoying music, nudging her, etc. But it takes way too long, and I want her to be able to get up herself.

Any advice? I don't want to deal with this from the bedtime/ getting enough sleep angle right now. Sometimes she gets enough, sometimes she doesn't, but this is pretty regular whenever she has to get up before 8am, which is always during the school year.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 7:54 am
Following.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 8:49 am
Some people are just wired to be night people. I've always been like this, and to this day it is really hard for me to "reset my clock", and it rarely lasts a week before I'm back to a night schedule.

It has nothing to do with discipline or "sleep hygene". If you say your DD is upset and truly wants to get up on time, believe her.

The only thing that worked for me, was for my mom to come and pull all the covers off of my bed (completely off, so I couldn't pull them back on.) Sometimes she'd even take my covers to another room! The cold air would wake me up, and I'd have to get dressed in order to get warm again.

STMommy

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 8:52 am
perhaps try this: https://www.sleepcycle.com/

Or this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075.....40488

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 8:52 am
I can't either get up when I'm tired. The only foolproof way around it is to CONSISTENTLY get enough sleep every night.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 9:34 am
OP, IMO only one solution: go to bed earlier.

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 9:42 am
Have her tested for sleep apnea and anything else. I know you said you don't want to work on the sleep angle but if that's the problem then it isn't going to help to work around it.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 11:19 am
Like FF said, some people are just wired this way and you can't change it. I'm not a morning person, never have been, never will be. As an adult, it's pretty simple, I have small kids, and they bother me until I get out of bed. When I was younger (and what I plan to go back to when the kids are older), I had the alarm set across the room so that I had to get up to turn in off. Once I was out of bed, I didn't go back (still shuffled around like a zombie though). She could try that.

Also, you just may need to keep helping her get up for a little longer. Yes, kids this age need to learn responsibility and all that, but just because the average kid her age can get up on her own, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you continuing to help for now if she's just not there yet. You'll want to eventually shift toward more independence, but if she needs your help for now, give it, regardless of what "should" be.

creditcards

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 11:44 am
Do you have a baby that can climb into her bed when it's time to get up? Or try talking on the phone in her room that really disturbs a good sleep. I'm the same way but someone talking on the phone wakes me up completely.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 12:36 pm
Does she have a smart phone? Or would you be willing to buy an inexpensive tablet...which you can load a smart alarm app, that forces you to do puzzles or math or take a picture of your toothpaste in the bathroom, that forces you to get up and start using your brain.

I actually tried this for a while and I became immune to the alarm noise after a while... Until then it worked... Or perhaps an alarm with a random noise.. bc I know a friend of mine has to switch up her alarm noise when she becomes immune

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 04 2018, 1:02 pm
Have you tried the sonic boom vibrating alarm clock? Worked for me when I was the impossible to wake teen. Very hard to sleep through. With practice you can ignore it but not because you didn't notice it in the first place Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics