Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Is your child smarter than you :) ?

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 6:07 am
My 5th grader usually does his homework himself or with a friend over the phone. When he does it with a friend, it's usually for the friends benefit. Yesterday he asked me to help him with his homework. It was grammar. Grammar is not one of my strong suits and to top it off, it's all in spanish obviously. I tried to help him, but I was completely lost. I guess me sitting there helped him because he did it anyway without my help Wink . He would say what does this mean and I would more than likely check on google translate and I still had no idea and then he would write the answer. He didn't understand the translation any better than in spanish. Granted, he did learn it in school first. I'm very happy he did it, but I felt so stupid how I don't know 5th grade grammar. Then I helped my 3rd grader with his math and I felt better Smile . Not because he's not smart, but I know math better and for sure for 3rd grade.

Do you ever feel totally lost with your children's school work and they know it very easily?
Don't get me wrong, I love it. I'm really proud of them for that. It makes my life easier.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 6:15 am
My kids are way smarter than DH and I. We both struggled in school. Bh we don't have to struggle with our kids.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 6:27 am
I have one child who, although I haven't actually had her IQ tested, I am sure is genius. I'm no slouch in the brains department, but this girl is off the charts and it is intimidating to think of where she will be in a few years from now and how utterly useless I will be in answering her questions or keeping up with her thought process. Even now, she is so challenging. You can never just tell her something and have her accept it at face value.... she always has to probe deeper for ultimate understanding - whether it's some advanced scientific principal or just analyzing a social interaction. I feel so not cut out to be her mother.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 6:29 am
No doubt my children are smarter than myself.

Teomima

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 6:30 am
I struggle a bit with the math, even at the third grade level, because they're learning totally different methods than I did. So I can figure out the answer, no problem, but not the way they need to solve it. I don't get why they keep changing math!

I struggle with language as well. I'm raising children in Israel and though I've lived here a very long time myself, and am fluent in Hebrew, their Hebrew spelling, grammar, and reading skills are still stronger than my own. But I'm proud of my bilingual children!

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 7:48 am
I'm pretty smart (IQ 130's - 140's), but my child tested off the charts. He/she took an IQ test at 7 years old and tested in the 99.9th percentile. He/she is 9 years old now and the amount of information in that brain is astonishing even to me.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 7:55 am
My DS definitely does a lot better in highschool than I did and I was considered a good student.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 8:17 am
I guess you can do manythings he can't. We forget the details of grammar and maths we do not use.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 8:33 am
My father a"h used to always say proudly that his children were way smarter than him. (I'm not sure it was true; he was quite brilliant.)

Thanks for this memory.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 8:37 am
amother wrote:
I'm pretty smart (IQ 130's - 140's), but my child tested off the charts. He/she took an IQ test at 7 years old and tested in the 99.9th percentile. He/she is 9 years old now and the amount of information in that brain is astonishing even to me.

My nine year old also tested in the gifted range. He was reading and writing at age two in both English and Hebrew. He memorizes everything. Suffice it to say he is way way way smarter than me. Can you tell me more about the education and opportunities you are giving your kid?

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 8:42 am
It doesn't have anything to do with smarter as much as you haven't learnt it in 10-20 years. Your brain forgets things you don't regularly use. If you sat in class or read a math book and couldn't chap it then..

Stars

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 9:50 am
My child sure has a better memory than I do 😂

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 9:58 am
My mother constantly put me down. She felt threatened because I was smarter than her. What she didn’t know was that I still needed her to be a mommy to me. So so much.

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 10:04 am
It isn’t always about who’s smarter... your child literally JUST learned this stuff, complete with walk throughs on how to complete the assignment... hence the assignment. I’m guessing if you were in class with your child you’d rock the homework too.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 05 2018, 10:36 am
I think that we think our kids are smarter, because we are biased in the way we look at them.

We know exactly what WE know and don't know, so we don't rate ourselves as being so smart.

We underestimate out children sometimes, because, well, their children - and parents should be smarter, right?

But then our kids surprise us with things that they've recently learned, and it shakes up our assumptions.

Don't even get me started about confirmation bias, thinking your kid is the smartest in the class, etc. That's a whole different argument.

If you want to learn more, check out the podcasts at "You Are Not So Smart." It's a really fun and interesting site about how our brains work, how they protect us, and how they trick us into thinking things that aren't really so.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 4:52 am
notshanarishona wrote:
It doesn't have anything to do with smarter as much as you haven't learnt it in 10-20 years. Your brain forgets things you don't regularly use. If you sat in class or read a math book and couldn't chap it then..

Kiwi13 wrote:
It isn’t always about who’s smarter... your child literally JUST learned this stuff, complete with walk throughs on how to complete the assignment... hence the assignment. I’m guessing if you were in class with your child you’d rock the homework too.

Actually with this child, he is smarter than me or at least once he learns everything I learned he'll know more than me. I didn't know that stuff when I was in school. He gets his intelligence from my dh.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 6:15 am
My child is smart, but I was smarter and far more motivated and disciplined about school at his age (9 years old). I skipped two grades, from 2nd at one school to 5th in another, at his age and caught up fairly quickly.

So my problem is having sympathy when he doesn’t seem care or try. I will happily teach the same math concept in multiple ways to help him, or review shorashim, but I can’t make him want to study and I don’t know how to deal with that. I have to remind myself constantly that he is a separate person and his academic progress is not a reflection of my intelligence and I can’t ruin school for him because of my own insecurity and desire to look good...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children