Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Anyone from Milwaukee?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 11:06 am
What is the community like compared to Toronto? Size? Hashkafa? Schools? Weather? Housing? How long to drive or fly to NY from there? My dh mentioned his interest in passing and I thought I'd look into it a little. He likes Rabbi Bentzion Twersky's online shiurim. Apparently he lives there?

doctorima

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 11:32 am
I'm not from there, but the Jewish community in Milwaukee is teeny relative to Toronto. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever, and if you're attracted to Rabbi Twerski and want a small, warm OOT community go for it! But it has nowhere near the school options and other amenities of a much larger established community like Toronto. As far as transportation, it's a REALLY long drive - about 15 hours (almost 900 miles) - or about a 2-2.5 hour direct flight.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jun 06 2018, 12:55 pm
Very helpful. I also did a search of old posts about the community. Seems rabbi Twersky's shul is a genuine warm community. Maybe we can visit this summer and check it out.

chavaleh

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:05 am
Jewishinmilwaukee.com is a great resource

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 9:11 pm
I'm from MKE but not from the Twerski shul. Rabbi Bentzion and Rabbi Michel and Rebbetzin Feigie Twerski live there. The neighborhood where the Twerskis are is not very safe in my opinion but beautiful old houses and architecture. Housing is cheap but difficult to sell because of the location. The neighborhood streets are tree lined. MKE is a very troubled community when it comes to inner city dynamics though. The non-Jewish community surrounding the Twerski community is poor and disadvantaged and there is crime. I hear that houses and cars get broken into a lot. There is a day school within local community. There is a small kosher market with also a small deli counter. There are no restaurants aside from a cafe with limited hours at the JCC and Jewish home. There are direct flights from MKE to Laguardia. Takes about 2 hours. Not too expensive. Chicago is 1 1/2 hours away by car. The community is BT and Twerskis are Chassidish. There are people that are drawn to the community but also leave.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating