Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Writing out menu for guests -- cute or tacky/obnoxious?
1  2  Next

nachlaot

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 2:56 am
A couple women print out menus for their shabbat meals, I.e., "first course: freshly baked rosemary challah, homemade garlic hummus, moroccan salmon..."

I'm thinking of doing this. But I don't know if it's cute and people enjoy it, or if it's tacky and obnoxious and pretentious. Thoughts?

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 3:19 am
Pretentious in my book.
And ridiculous to fancily describe your own cooking.
Never come across anyone so bored that they did this.....

grace413

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 3:22 am
I wouldn't bother but I think it's cute.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 3:56 am
I sometimes do this when I'm having non-frum guests. They aren't really used to these multi-course weekly extravaganzas, and I think it helps them to know what to expect. Otherwise they fill up during the fish course, unaware that it was just the appetizer...

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 4:15 am
It's pretentious.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 4:56 am
If done nicely and presented well, it could like nice at a simcha like a sheves brochos. Or a big meal where you are hosting lots of people, or as others have said when you host people who don't know when to expect.

GramaNewYork

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 4:58 am
If you are not sure someone might see it as pretentious like one of the women who replied, it's best not to print it.

However, in some cases, it could be a huge kindness besides being cute. There are some people with dietary considerations, some more serious than others. For example, I know someone who is diabetic and never asks the hostess because he is self-conscious. Unlike a vegetarian, it wouldn't be a question of simply avoiding the foods he chooses not to eat but rather how much insulin to take before a meal based on the actual food in the meal.

Of course, this diabetic has an option to be more assertive; that's his choice. But you can see that by posting the menu in some cases, you are actually doing a big chesed and being adorable ; ) for people who are not aggressive enough to ask "So, what are we having for dinner. I need to know because....".

imasinger

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 5:22 am
I think it's nice.

In Victorian times, it was routinely done when guests were invited to a meal.

etky

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 6:42 am
I print out a menu for every Shabbat that gets hung up on the fridge.
I first started doing it to avoid forgetting to put things on the platta; sometimes I would also forget to serve certain items like salads that were hanging out in the fridge. It was like a checklist for me.
Soon however, I realized that the kids really liked knowing in advance what was going to be served at the meal. They looked forward to seeing the 'menu' on the fridge and allowed them to formulate an 'eating strategy' for the meal.
DH, who prints it out for me, also started to embellish the list that I sent him with little cartoons connected to the Parsha. If we are hosting that Shabbat, he also includes a short greeting to our guests (sometimes - using Google translate- in their native language if they are from abroad).
I don't ever make a point of displaying the menu to guests but many do glimpse it on the fridge when they come into the kitchen to wash before the meal. Most really like the idea and appreciate seeing DH's parsha cartoon and mention of their joining us for the meal. I also think some like knowing what is going to be served.

EmpireState

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 7:42 am
I think it's ok but maybe without the adjectives (freshly baked etc.). Just the name of the food. Otherwise it seems a bit pretentious.

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 7:54 am
Depending on the guests I could see this being fun if done in a humorous way.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 8:14 am
Adorable! Go for it.

STMommy

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 8:25 am
EmpireState wrote:
I think it's ok but maybe without the adjectives (freshly baked etc.). Just the name of the food. Otherwise it seems a bit pretentious.

Agree.

DVOM

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 8:27 am
I think this could be adorable as long as it isn't taken too seriously! I hear what people are saying about just stating the food without all the wordy adjectives ("freshly baked...") but I think it could be so silly and fun to go totally over the top with it and get as wordy and flowery as possible. I think I could have a lot of fun writing our shabbos menu:

Locally sourced challah with poppy seed sprinkle
Freshly ground garlic chumus, crispy Moroccan beef crumble and onion jam
Authentic chicken soup with root vegetable medley and dumplings

Ummm... so far that's as far as I've gotten on our Shabbos menu this week!

cbg

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 8:40 am
I would do it for Sheva Berachot or other very special occasion, with all the adjectives.
Maybe RH, but not every Shabbat.

imasinger

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 8:45 am
etky wrote:
I print out a menu for every Shabbat that gets hung up on the fridge.
I first started doing it to avoid forgetting to put things on the platta; sometimes I would also forget to serve certain items like salads that were hanging out in the fridge. It was like a checklist for me.
Soon however, I realized that the kids really liked knowing in advance what was going to be served at the meal. They looked forward to seeing the 'menu' on the fridge and allowed them to formulate an 'eating strategy' for the meal.
DH, who prints it out for me, also started to embellish the list that I sent him with little cartoons connected to the Parsha. If we are hosting that Shabbat, he also includes a short greeting to our guests (sometimes - using Google translate- in their native language if they are from abroad).
I don't ever make a point of displaying the menu to guests but many do glimpse it on the fridge when they come into the kitchen to wash before the meal. Most really like the idea and appreciate seeing DH's parsha cartoon and mention of their joining us for the meal. I also think some like knowing what is going to be served.

This is so cute would you be willing to post a sample pic?

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 8:50 am
my nieghbor (single mother of 6 young kinds) had an operation and many friends babysat or took the kidsa nd cooked for them for several weeks. at some point dh had to leave our town for a week and she asked if I would like to take my baby and spend shabbos with her. I said sure and cooked some food the rest was brought by friends who still cooked for them at the time.

we made fun and wrote a menulist in fancy gold writing, hung it in the living room for all kids to see and we felt like in a restaurant. I also bought fancy napkins Smile

we feld a bit like little girls who pretend to set a shabbos table when we actually set up the shabbos table for us two adults 6 kids and a baby.

the menu said: sureles special ww challah with craisins- freshly baked and frozen and then reheated, it makes the best challah eva!!!

gefilta fish- straight from the jar- (we filled a jar with haribo fishies Smile )
main course: we skip - the kids are usually too tired and prefer to play (attached were new skipping ropes for the children Wink )

etc.

poor neighbour was stil in pain from the operation and could hardly sit, her kids were totally overwheled from constantly being brought to different babysitters/families and I was lonley and hormonal (dh out of town and I was shortly after a baby)...
but it was still fun Wink

so I guess written menus can be fun

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 8:50 am
Using a menu on shabbos can be problematic halachically, depending on the circumstances. Ask your LOR how to work around this.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 8:54 am
amother wrote:
Using a menu on shabbos can be problematic halachically, depending on the circumstances. Ask your LOR how to work around this.

Why? Problematic in what way?

mommyhood

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 9:05 am
watergirl wrote:
Why? Problematic in what way?

Gemarah Shabbos 149a if you want a source, it says that you might come to erase if you change your mind.
I was told that I just can't read the menu out loud.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics