Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Writing out menu for guests -- cute or tacky/obnoxious?
Previous  1  2

Shabbosiscoming

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 9:05 am
Having a menu is problematic for the host(ess.) There is a concern that (s)he may come to add or cross off items. A way to work around it is to have someone else read it off to him/her. Same thing applies to seating charts at a simcha.

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 10:16 am
“Freshly baked cookies from a locally purchased mix stored in an organic, recyclable box, sprinkled with fingerprints of the finest human toddlers”

watergirl

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 10:32 am
Shabbosiscoming wrote:
Having a menu is problematic for the host(ess.) There is a concern that (s)he may come to add or cross off items. A way to work around it is to have someone else read it off to him/her. Same thing applies to seating charts at a simcha.

Interesting. Never heard that. Ill ask my own lor.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 10:32 am
Shabbosiscoming wrote:

Another way to get around the halachic problem is to laminate the menu or seating chart, or even put them into a sheet protector.

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 11:58 am
“Skillfully defrosted brisket still within acceptable range of days past sell-by date”

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 12:02 pm
watergirl wrote:
Interesting. Never heard that. Ill ask my own lor.

We're MO, and hold that the menu is muktza. I don't know what is done in other communities.

OutATowner

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 12:10 pm
Just learned this. Ask your lor, but the Rebetzin here puts it in a sheet protector and tapes the top, so that you cant edit it unless you cut the tape. That would be a problem for me because I put everything on my dry erase board.
I would skip the adjectives and I like the idea of it being on the fridge, so it's there but not in everyone's face.

imasinger

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 12:19 pm
Kiwi13, keep it coming! I'm Rolling Laughter

My friend who sometimes does menus prints them out with each course in a different color. It would completely spoil the look if she crossed anything out. So I assume she got a psak that using a printer also helped get around the halachic concern.

agreer

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 12:23 pm
We did this once for a purim seudah we hosted! But it was meant to be ironic and sarcastic, so I'd say if you did this for a regular shabbos, I would not think it to be adorable.

Librarian

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 1:42 pm
Pretentious

nachlaot

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 1:51 pm
Thanks for all the interesting responses

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 2:24 pm
UNless it's a wedding, or high end cuisine event, SKIP

OOTforlife

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 3:51 pm
I'd enjoy it as a guest.

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 4:06 pm
“Creatively arranged brownie platter designed by fiercely self-determined 3-year olds”

zaq

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 4:36 pm
Another cheer for kiwi’s rofl menu satires!

Cute or pretentious depends on whether I think YOU’RE cute or pretentious.

ILOVELIFE

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 6:18 pm
I do it for YT sometimes minus the adjectives.

I find people want to choose if to fill up on various courses

It is also very elegant on the table Wink

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 7:41 pm
I do if for every single meal we have guest Shabbos yom tov or a Sunday bbq. It is always printed on card stock and there is a menu out at each place setting. I also always do a seating card and a take home gift for every meal Shabbos and yom tov that we have guest. Yes it takes awhile but people have come to expect it and I enjoy it. And I don’t think anyone thinks it’s pretentious at all if my friends found it pretentious they wouldn’t be my friends.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 12:49 am
amother wrote:
Another way to get around the halachic problem is to laminate the menu or seating chart, or even put them into a sheet protector.

Our dayan says a sheet protector isn't adequate as the page can be removed too easily. He is okay with laminating it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics