Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Success with Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder DDMD?

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 8:51 am
10 y.o. Child has been diagnosed with Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder DDMD.

What has been the most effective treatment?

This child has behaved violently on rare occasions, that Drs felt was a reaction to a med.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 9:26 am
My DS was diagnosed with that around the same age. So far, he has tried Sertraline and Intuniv. Sertraline has been marginally helpful. Intuniv was the oppositive of helpful. He is doing behavioral therapy (which hasn't really been helpful).

Still working on finding what works. Next trial is citalopram.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 10:02 am
amother wrote:
My DS was diagnosed with that around the same age. So far, he has tried Sertraline and Intuniv. Sertraline has been marginally helpful. Intuniv was the oppositive of helpful. He is doing behavioral therapy (which hasn't really been helpful).

Still working on finding what works. Next trial is citalopram.

How is it working with school, while youre finding the right meds?

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 10:50 am
He has good days and bad days with school. If he has a bad morning, the whole day is shot for him usually. He is doing fine with grades and friends for the most part. He does visit the office probably at least once per week if not more, to "think about his behavior." Often times he gets into arguments with other kids and just can't ignore or let it go. Any off hand ribbing another boy might say, he blows way out of proportion. Rarely does it become physical unless the other kid is also stubborn and of similar temperament. He is more physical at home with objects.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 10:55 am
amother wrote:
He has good days and bad days with school. If he has a bad morning, the whole day is shot for him usually. He is doing fine with grades and friends for the most part. He does visit the office probably at least once per week if not more, to "think about his behavior." Often times he gets into arguments with other kids and just can't ignore or let it go. Any off hand ribbing another boy might say, he blows way out of proportion. Rarely does it become physical unless the other kid is also stubborn and of similar temperament. He is more physical at home with objects.

Thanks for the answer. A regular school is ok with this behavior?

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 2:42 pm
Please try DBT. It can help.
Also mother should be in therapy for guidance.
Things CAN get better.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 2:46 pm
Statistically, how do these grow up? How many learn to control their frustrations and live relatively normal lives?

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 2:49 pm
I wouldn't worry about statistics. Believe in your child, daven a lot and have patience. Things will improve.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 2:49 pm
amother wrote:
Statistically, how do these grow up? How many learn to control their frustrations and live relatively normal lives?

I dont know statistics. But I do know that the earlier you get him coping skills- DBT, CBT etc the better off he will be and the more ingrained these skills are.

ILOVELIFE

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 3:26 pm
I will echo the other suggestions.

I BH don’t have personal experience with this but watched a child I’m very close with learn DBT skills and he is a new kid. He manages his triggers and emotional well being and awareness

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jun 08 2018, 4:11 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for the answer. A regular school is ok with this behavior?

He is in a regular Jewish day school. I'm sure they aren't loving his behavior when it's not great but he hasn't been suspended yet. He does have his good moments. And he is not the only kid with issues. He happens to be in a class where there are a few boys who have their own challenges, whatever that challenge might be. Despite that, his teachers have been excellent this year. His school is new to him this year. I find that a more experienced and well trained teacher makes all the difference. The previous school he went to where some of his teachers had just "teaching certificates" and were young and inexperienced, he didn't do as well there.

momtra

Post Sat, Jun 09 2018, 9:35 pm
My 11 yo dd got this diagnosis earlier this year,
She is currently on sertraline, lamotragine, guanficine and resipredal. ( I know... it’s a lot:(
We are also in therapy.
The school she is currently in is not sure they will take her back in September. It’s a super hard situation...

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Jun 09 2018, 9:58 pm
Thanks for the responses.

What has worked best for these kids, once theyre on meds and in therapy, to prevent very dangerous behavior (I.e. child wanting to dangerously harm themselves or a sibling)?

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 5:31 am
Again meds with therapy(dbt) are the way to handle. Plus individual therapy for the mom and dad to learn skills to lower the temperature, possibly therapy for siblings (to have a safe place to vent, to learn to keep themselves physically and emotionally safe, to learn how not to escalate the situation) and marriage counseling (challenging children take a toll on the marriage.)
Two things id like to point out.
1) his feelings are real even if he doesnt know how to regulate himself. Dont deligitimize his feelings.
2) you may not mean it. But youre referring as "these children" or "childrenlike these" Iis hurtful. They are regular Jewish children with challenges. Referring to them likw this is unfair.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 6:47 am
amother wrote:
2) you may not mean it. But youre referring as "these children" or "childrenlike these" Iis hurtful. They are regular Jewish children with challenges. Referring to them likw this is unfair.

I feel for this child, more than most, no matter how I phrased it. Its a relative's child who I love dearly!!!!!! and Im totally distraught by what theyre all going through, child included.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 7:37 am
I strongly suspected it was a relatives child not your own. There was a dispassionate only clinical tone but I didnt want to ask unless I was wrong.
As much as you love this particular child, children with these conditions all are loved by family and shouldnt be referred to as "these" or whatever.
But beyond that, heres some stuff I learned from the mental health world that should be repeated.
1) STATISTICS ARE MEANINGLESS!!!
The brain and chemical components are delicate and every person is different and we live in a world that is ever changing and evolving.
Statistics, numbers wont help the child succeed better and will only scare stress or frustrate the family.
2) IT IS NOT THE CHILD'S FAULT!!!!!
Children want to succeed. As painful as it is for everyone else, the childs pain is that much worse. Please make sure never to blame or project an attitude that the child should try harder, should get punished, or doesnt deserve the treats/attention hes getting at therapy, appts etc.
3) THIS IS NOT THE RESULT OF POOR PARENTING!!!!!!!
Parents, esp mothers get a lot of criticism for what is perceived as poor parenting when its really the childs brain chemistry.
4) THE CHILD AND PARENTS HAVE A RIGHT TO PRIVACY AND DIGNITY!!!!!
This is true for anyone with sick or needy children. The parents dont have to share all the details to satisfy the relatives curiositu or in exchange for their help.
5) LOVE AND TREAT THE MOTHER!!!!!
I dont know your relative from Adam, but if shes like most she is killing herself for her kid and neglecting herself.
Make sure not to criticize her for any "me time" and pamper her as much as possible.
Ok. Really this came out strong. It was not directed all at you- just to relatives of children with emotional needs and mental health conditions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children