Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Completely at a loss
Previous  1  2

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 11:20 am
Simple1 wrote:
I thought that low/no carb, although a very popular way to lose weight is not the only way. The main thing is a calorie deficit. And refined carbs should be avoided. Am I wrong? Keto and extreme carb reduction is controversial and may not be so healthy.

OP said that she was on a low carb diet. I was just pointing out that she wasn't. Fruit, yogurt, popcorn, and protein shakes are all loaded with carbs.

Many people on this forum have lost a lot of weight on this diet. Check Andrea Levy's posts or do a search for ketogenic diets.

Ketogenic diets are healthy for someone who has to lose a lot of weight quickly. And it's certainly much healthier than stomach surgery. The key is to do it with a plan, and take the proper supplements. It's also essential for someone like OP who is not losing weight any other way.

I would not recommend this diet for someone who needs to lose 10 pounds, or can easily lose the weight through regular dieting. But if even the nutritionist is at a loss, and someone really needs to lose a lot of weight for health reasons, this diet is MUCH healthier than the alternative.

A keto diet can be VERY healthy if you eat tons of spinach, broccoli, nuts, and other nutrient dense but low carb foods.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 11:22 am
thanks wrote:
What kind of protein shake? Some are loaded with sugar.

Muscle milk no sugar 100 cal

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 1:34 pm
I low carbed(no carb) for 20+ years and have hurt my thyroid badly thus resulting in weight gain.

You might have a thyroid issue despite the doctor saying you don't look at the symptoms:
https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/symptoms/

Read this I wish I'd have known about this years ago:
https://www.forefronthealth.co.....gers/

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 1:39 pm
OP, the reason that I'm posting this so many times is that I just discovered this myself. For years, I thought I was on a low carb diet, and it was only recently that I actually took the time to research this.

I discovered that first, there's no point in a low carb diet unless you do it all the way. You will not lose weight on a low carb diet unless you go very, very low carb. Second - and this was a real shocker - I discovered that many foods that I thought were low carb actually weren't. For example - you posted that you eat a greek yogurt daily. I'm looking at a Norman's Greek yogurt - light, no added sugar, 100 calories - and it has 13 net carbs. A slice of whole grain multigrain bread? 12 Net carbs. A slice of whole grain bread can actually have LESS net carbs than a diet greek yogurt. Are you surprised? So was I.

If you are eating so little and you are not losing, maybe you have to eat even less calories. Or maybe you would like to just accept yourself the way you are. Weight isn't everything, and being overweight is not necessarily the health risk that people think it is Smile.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 2:34 pm
amother wrote:
I exercise in the afternoon or evening 4 times a week. I eat Greek yogurt and fruit with coffee for breakfast, protein shake then lunch is protein like fish or grilled chicken with a huge salad and little lite dressing. Then fruit and protein shake (100 cal) then dinner protein again with huge serving of veggies . That’s it. Sometimes I’ll have a 100 cal skinny popcorn after dinner. I don’t drink lots of water. But still should be this hard

I exercise daily for 20 minutes plus 2-3 times a week of an additional 40 minutes workout. I drink at least 8 cups of water a day, probably more. I walk around with a 24 oz water bottle, drink all the time, and refill at least twice a day.

I have lost 10 pounds in the last 3 months. My daily calorie intake goal is 1200, but I find that only when I am strict about keeping it under, I lose. I usually end up consuming 1100 calories a day because it's hard to count everything exactly, so I rather go with less than more.

If I would eat a diet like you, I'd be gaining weight. Your breakfast is a lot of sugars. The protein shakes are excessive. After such a filling breakfast, you shouldn't be needing food until lunch. And your lunch is also very filling, though you didn't post amounts, so it's hard to know for sure. Again, skip the snacks between meals. And 100 cal popcorn is really not so low-calorie. You can get snack-sized popcorn at 70 calories or go for Potato Flutes at 60 calories. Best is to avoid it altogether.

Another thing to consider is timing and sleep. What time do you eat breakfast and what time do you eat dinner? How much sleep are you getting? When do you wake up and when do you go to sleep. Insufficient sleep hinders weight loss.

Good luck!

mandksima

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 3:04 pm
yes, definitely this typical menu wouldn't be considered low carb. Also, be careful about sugar substitutes. They can prevent weight loss and play with metabolism. Personally, I can't handle even the smallest amount of popcorn - it raises my sugar levels a lot. Be careful with your fruit or avoid altogether except for berries. Read up on Paleo or even keto if you're interested in low carb. It's about the quality of the food, avoidance of certain triggers and proper amounts of necessary fats. Calories are not as important if you see you're losing still but it still needs to be a certain amount for your exact body. Don't be afraid of adding fat calories
as often the more fat you eat, the more fat you lose. Don't eat too much protein and keep the veggies pretty low carb. Sometimes you can do intermittent fasting or just eat for an eight hour window from 11 AM-7PM for example. It depends how much weight you have to lose as well. I think if you are doing somewhat of the right things and not losing, you are not addressing insulin resistance with the exact correct diet. If you are checking your blood sugar levels after meals (you should have a glucometer at home to check) you'll know if you are stable or not. You want to fix your whole body, not just lose weight. If you are serious about it, a nutritionist probably won't guide you towards Paleo or keto. I suggest doing your own research.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 6:05 pm
I didn’t read the whole thing,
BUT
If you eat too much protein, that can turn to sugar.
The only thing tha doesn’t turn to sugar is fat.
Lower your protein to no more than 3-4oz per meal
AND
Add 1-2 TBSP FAT. to each meal

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 6:15 pm
Another vote for "you're eating too few calories."

If your body thinks you're in a famine, it will fight to hold on to every ounce. Eating MORE calories is often (ironically) a better way to lose weight.

If I were you, I'd probably throw out the calorie counting and go on the Whole 30, eating to satiety. Especially if what you're doing isn't working, I think it's a far healthier attempt.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 6:47 pm
I would address the diabetes before I address the weight loss.
IMNSHO- I would eat all my carbs from leafy greens, and non starchy vegetables.
Take out the junk, completely- nothing processed.
Look into Whole 30or Wahl Protocol,

I’ve been trying to do Wahl, for about a week, for arthritic issues.
It just makes sense to eat tons of veggies, fats, and moderate protein.
Here is my menu:

Breakfast
Green Smoothie- made of greens and avocado, no fruit, a little stevia or salt if I want it savory.
2 Eggs

Lunch
Green Smoothie -or-Salad
4 oz Sardines packed in oil

Dinner
Salad or Red Cabbage
4oz Chicken or Beef
2-3 TBSP fat oil or tehina, homemade mayo, something natural.

So far I’ve lost 4 lbs Very Happy
I need to lose 40.
But I’m not concerned about the weight loss.
I’m concerned about my arthritis flare ups.

You should concentrate on stabilizing your blood sugars. The weight loss will be an added bonus.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 6:50 pm
Your thread title...deliberate pun?
A sense of humor is essential too Smile

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jun 10 2018, 7:11 pm
Something like whole 30 may work best for you. Like many of us you may have a sensitivity to something that even in small amounts makes it hard to lose weight until it is eliminated completely.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jun 21 2018, 2:40 pm
Not to be the voice of dissent but I was in a similar situation (recently found out I have pcos after gaining 35 pounds I can’t shake off) and tried the whole 30 and totally didn’t work for me. Was low energy and eating too much of the “right” stuff to compensate. No diet soda/ ice pops/ Snapple was hard. I gained like 4 pounds and felt bloated all the time... started metformin and it’s helping the sugar issues but I’m still blown up and haven’t lost an ounce...
Let me know if u find something!

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 9:51 am
amother wrote:
Hi, you mentioned high protein, low carb, but are you getting enough fiber from vegetables, fruit, and whole grains? Fiber sweeps fat out of the body as it keeps you regular. Many people believe protein is the most important component of a healthy diet and are quick to cut carbs, but Americans generally consume way more protein than the body actually needs. You mentioned that you are weight training, so you do need to eat adequate protein to build muscle, but you definitely need to get that fiber for fat loss.

Also, you didn't mention when you are exercising... The best way is right after breakfast. Eating first thing and then exercising kick starts the metabolism, and burns calories for a long time after you are actually finished. Another bit of exercise in the afternoon will help keep your metabolism revved through your last meal of the day. Be careful not to eat at night.

Dont give up, years of abusing your body can't always be remedied in a couple months, keep at it, increase fiber and increase exercise at the right points in your day.

It is actually very hard to get enough protein in to support strength training. That is why a lot of people go lower on carbs - so that they can eat enough protein to help build muscles.

Also, it makes no difference when you do exercise. It doesn't rev up the metabolism. It also doesn't matter when you eat.

The formula to lose weight is very simple calories in should be lower than calories out. Timing of when you eat those calories or when you expend them makes no difference.

OP, are you carefully tracking your calories? Sometimes people think they are eating less than they really are.

pause

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 10:27 am
amother wrote:
It is actually very hard to get enough protein in to support strength training. That is why a lot of people go lower on carbs - so that they can eat enough protein to help build muscles.

Also, it makes no difference when you do exercise. It doesn't rev up the metabolism. It also doesn't matter when you eat.

The formula to lose weight is very simple calories in should be lower than calories out. Timing of when you eat those calories or when you expend them makes no difference.

OP, are you carefully tracking your calories? Sometimes people think they are eating less than they really are.

This is totally false.

You yourself said it's about calories in and calories out. So do you know that you burn more calories while going about your regular day if you exercise? Did you know that food that gets eaten at night results in double weight gain in studies done on mice? And that simple carb calories are used differently by the body than complex carb calories? And that consuming some fat calories in your diet actually helps with weight loss because it doesn't spike your insulin like carb calories do?

It's not as simple as you make it. People who simply count calories (but might be consuming loads of processed, high sugar - low fat, foods) are not going to be successful in long-term weight loss.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 11:22 am
pause wrote:
This is totally false.

You yourself said it's about calories in and calories out. So do you know that you burn more calories while going about your regular day if you exercise? Did you know that food that gets eaten at night results in double weight gain in studies done on mice? And that simple carb calories are used differently by the body than complex carb calories? And that consuming some fat calories in your diet actually helps with weight loss because it doesn't spike your insulin like carb calories do?

It's not as simple as you make it. People who simply count calories (but might be consuming loads of processed, high sugar - low fat, foods) are not going to be successful in long-term weight loss.

Yes, I do know all those points that you mentioned. You do burn more calories after exercise, but it doesn't matter what time you exercise. It just matters that you do it - so if it works better for you and your schedule to do it at night, kol hakavod.

Was the eating at night study proven on people? I would love to see the scientific proof on that.

Yes, I know that simple carbs will be processed a lot quicker in your body than complex carbs. Hence, eating complex carbs will keep you feeling fuller longer. However, a piece of white bread and a piece of whole wheat bread can have the same amount of calories. Difference being, the whole wheat will not cause a sugar crash like the white bread.

Yes, eating fat is very beneficial to weight loss. Not only for insulin but it also helps one to feel fuller for longer.

And as for what I put in bold, a person can successfully lose weight by simply counting calories and eating unhealthy foods. They will just be able to eat less of them. There are people who have successfully lost weight eating only McDonald's. They are just choosing to eat less over their day. It's the basis behind Volumetrics.

pause

Post Fri, Jun 22 2018, 11:32 am
amother wrote:
Yes, I do know all those points that you mentioned. You do burn more calories after exercise, but it doesn't matter what time you exercise. It just matters that you do it - so if it works better for you and your schedule to do it at night, kol hakavod.

Was the eating at night study proven on people? I would love to see the scientific proof on that.

Yes, I know that simple carbs will be processed a lot quicker in your body than complex carbs. Hence, eating complex carbs will keep you feeling fuller longer. However, a piece of white bread and a piece of whole wheat bread can have the same amount of calories. Difference being, the whole wheat will not cause a sugar crash like the white bread.

Yes, eating fat is very beneficial to weight loss. Not only for insulin but it also helps one to feel fuller for longer.

And as for what I put in bold, a person can successfully lose weight by simply counting calories and eating unhealthy foods. They will just be able to eat less of them. There are people who have successfully lost weight eating only McDonald's. They are just choosing to eat less over their day. It's the basis behind Volumetrics.

Note, I said long-term weight loss. You would also lose weight by not eating at all. Or eating only one bar of chocolate each day. That's not the point here.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise