Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
ADHD, meds, melatonin, and sleep

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 7:21 am
Ds, almost 10 yrs old. He can't sleep if he doesn't take melowchews. Because of the meds he's taking.

For some reason I can't get him to remember to take it. I hung up a large reminder on kitchen cabinet. But not helping.

If he doesn't take it he doesn't fall asleep and the next he's cranky the next day. Which aggravates his ADHD.

Any ideas how to make him remember? I don't want to remind him every day. I'm tired of having to do it. (I wish he would have some responsibility) he's good about his other meds.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 7:26 am
Maybe the kitchen cabinet is the wrong place for the sign? What does he usually do at the time you want him to remember?

It's worth the investment of time to have an evening checklist of responsibilities (PJ's, teeth, meds, clothes in hamper, etc) and to have a reward to offer for completing it properly. It should require him to physically check off each item, so that he reads it and remembers.

Once he gets in the habit, you won't have to worry so much.

And learning the value of a checklist will be huge for his future success. Huge.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 7:34 am
Good for you that he remembers to take his other meds. My DC can't even remember to swallow the meds and will just hold it if I don't keep on talking.
A bedtime checklists is a good idea. Maybe keep it on his dresser or in his night chest to make it easier on him.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 7:35 am
Imasinger, thanx so much for your response.

I would do what you say right now. Only thing I have issue with is reward. I know it can help him the reward it's just that I have a problem with all the rewards. He's being rewarded for being on time in the morning. Now this?

So many things come with reward for him. Will he function properly without it? Will he learn to do stuff despite not getting rewards? How if I get him used to that?

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 7:38 am
Ooh just realized where he puts his glasses is a good place! Maybe that will work. I'm gonna try and let y'all know. Ty!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)