Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken Cutlets Question

Woman of Valor

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 4:55 pm
Do you rinse before grilling/baking them?
It feels more sanitary to me but is such a pain

mha3484

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 5:08 pm
I never ever rinse chicken it can spread food born bacteria all over your kitchen.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 5:21 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I never ever rinse chicken it can spread food born bacteria all over your kitchen.

I do because I am just grossed out from the juices and then I pay it dry , but mha3484 is right, you are not supposed to as it spreads the bacteria and I've experienced poisoning years ago from bacteria from raw chicken.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 5:24 pm
If the juices gross you out I would just pat them with a damp paper towel.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 5:28 pm
mha3484 wrote:
If the juices gross you out I would just pat them with a damp paper towel.

It's actually the smell as opposed to the liquid that I am rinsing off. Totally psychological. But I do admit it's extremely risky and I don't advise anyone to copy me.

Woman of Valor

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 5:36 pm
To be clear I was of course going to pat with a paper towel so it's dry because of bacteria. It's just such a pain. Basically, many people don't rinse? Why would bacteria be a concern if you pat dry?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 5:50 pm
WindowMagic wrote:
To be clear I was of course going to pat with a paper towel so it's dry because of bacteria. It's just such a pain. Basically, many people don't rinse? Why would bacteria be a concern if you pat dry?

I'm in the in between camp. I was brought up to always wash chicken, specifically in an empty clean sink so no cross contamination and to be very careful about washing the sink thoroughly afterwards and hands/under nails, using paper towels.

In more recent years the USDA has been saying that rinsing is not necessary and is actually more of a risk of spreading germs than anything else. So as long as I get clean looking and clean smelling chicken, I trim it over the package and use.

But any time something grosses me out about the poultry, I go back to washing. And I always do thorough rinsing before I start a chicken soup because I want a clean looking and tasting clear broth. And if I ever decide to cook gizzards again... you bet I'll be scraping and washing away. Wink

Bluesky 1

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 6:02 pm
my father was a shochet for over 40 yrs. the chicken gets washed so many times. its totally not necessary to do it at all. unless you have something psychologically bothering you.

if it doesnt smell good dont use it. washing it wont help. I used to watch my father shecht at times when he would bring home chicken for kaporos. and then shecht the chicken. so I know how much it was rinsed and washed and salted.

attention please dont wash it its not necessary.

Woman of Valor

Post Mon, Jun 11 2018, 6:26 pm
Thank you for the responses! I still can't figure out how to make the black grill lines actually show up on the chicken when I bake it in the oven.

etky

Post Tue, Jun 12 2018, 12:55 am
ra_mom wrote:
I'm in the in between camp. I was brought up to always wash chicken, specifically in an empty clean sink so no cross contamination and to be very careful about washing the sink thoroughly afterwards and hands/under nails, using paper towels.

In more recent years the USDA has been saying that rinsing is not necessary and is actually more of a risk of spreading germs than anything else. So as long as I get clean looking and clean smelling chicken, I trim it over the package and use.

But any time something grosses me out about the poultry, I go back to washing. And I always do thorough rinsing before I start a chicken soup because I want a clean looking and tasting clear broth. And if I ever decide to cook gizzards again... you bet I'll be scraping and washing away. Wink

Same here. Exactly.
Except that I often buy whole chickens that I cut up into quarters before cooking. I do this in an empty clean sink that I scrub down afterwards. Once the sink and knife are clean and my hands are well-scrubbed ( I only use paper towels to dry them when I'm dealing with poultry, meat, fish or eggs) I pour boiling water in the sink (it's stainless) and toss the sponge that I used for cleanup. I think it's a good idea to change a sponge once a week anyway. I change the one in the chalavi sink and the parve sponge at the same time too.
Honestly I think the risk of washing the chicken is overstated. Anytime you deal with raw poultry anything that comes into contact with it or with your poultry contaminated hands- knife, cutting board, sink, dishtowel etc. - must be cleaned very thoroughly. I think the recommendation not to wash poultry issues from a concern that people are not scrubbing down surfaces well enough and washing the poultry increases this risk, especially if the water splatters all over the place. If you're meticulous I don't think this is an issue.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey