Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Ever thought about
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 12:10 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
My first car had only A/M radio and vinyl seats, no A/C, no power steering. A '66 Dodge Dart

My son said, "some old dude told me there used to be phones on the street you put coins in, thats so funny"

But that's still a great car.

I had a '72 Chevy Nova. I loved that car; still miss it. I replaced the radio so I had AM/FM. It also had a 2-piece seat belt, so you could choose to attach the shoulder harness ... or not.

Simple1

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 12:21 pm
How was it not scary to leave kids with a babysitter and be away without a phone? Just a few contact numbers like neighbors and hatzalah.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 2:29 pm
amother wrote:
* the fact that if you are over 40 your parents probably raised you without sending a single email

* the empire state building was built without sending a single email

*Rashi wrote what he wrote without a single Google search

*Rambam never tasted chocolate

*if we are without electricity for a few hours, it is a disaster. But no one from 250 years ago and before ever had it

* the Vilna Gaon never made a telephone call

*People used to make 3 day Yom Tov without a fridge

*The Rama never flew anywhere

* the Ramban never went in a car

Although it’s very convenient and helpful in many ways, I’m sure there were less OTD kids and cheating spouses b4 internet. This is def. the nisayon of our times.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 7:49 pm
amother wrote:
Although it’s very convenient and helpful in many ways, I’m sure there were less OTD kids and cheating spouses b4 internet. This is def. the nisayon of our times.

During the haskallah period in Europe, an overwhelming number of people from frum homes went off.

The BY movement was started by Sara Schenirer because girls from frum homes had no interest in being frum and were marrying out.

Among the flood of European immigrants that arrived in the US in the early 1900's, it was probably more common than not, for children from frum homes to go otd. The Mike Tress book describes well the scene: fathers in shul davening on shabbos; their sons outside smoking.

Every generation has its challenges, but I don't think it's accurate at all to say that, before Internet, kids did not go otd like today.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 8:00 pm
How about it was the norm for a six to seven year old to do a small grocery shopping in Boro Park. I had to wait by the corner until someone passed , and had to ask them to hold my hand and to please cross me over to the other side of the street. Nowadays if a stranger held the hand of a little girl he or she would be arrested!!!!
And if I couldn't find something , I'd walk a block to the payphone and call "collect" to find out what I should buy instead.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 8:20 pm
amother wrote:
During the haskallah period in Europe, an overwhelming number of people from frum homes went off.

The BY movement was started by Sara Schenirer because girls from frum homes had no interest in being frum and were marrying out.

Among the flood of European immigrants that arrived in the US in the early 1900's, it was probably more common than not, for children from frum homes to go otd. The Mike Tress book describes well the scene: fathers in shul davening on shabbos; their sons outside smoking.

Every generation has its challenges, but I don't think it's accurate at all to say that, before Internet, kids did not go otd like today.

I'm not amother but her point seemed to have been contrasting the time after internet came around to the time immediately preceding it, not any random time in history. Even the most anti internet people don't claim that there were no times in Jewish history where the OTD rate was higher than today.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 11:41 pm
We used to dial 0 for operator and ask lot of random questions
411 for phone numbers 🙊
took some time getting used to dialing area code first 🙄

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 11:54 pm
amother wrote:

You think so Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

The yaavetz has a tshuva about Prague several hundred years ago.

Should the Rabbonim enact measure to chase the "frum" zonahs out of the Jewish quarter...

They decided against it, because their customers will just go the non jewish zonehs and there would be more shmad...

sim

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 8:11 am
amother wrote:
* the fact that if you are over 40 your parents probably raised you without sending a single email

* the empire state building was built without sending a single email

*Rashi wrote what he wrote without a single Google search

*Rambam never tasted chocolate

*if we are without electricity for a few hours, it is a disaster. But no one from 250 years ago and before ever had it

* the Vilna Gaon never made a telephone call

*People used to make 3 day Yom Tov without a fridge

*The Rama never flew anywhere

* the Ramban never went in a car

Indoor running water. My great grandparents didn't have that!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 8:44 am
amother wrote:
We used to dial 0 for operator and ask lot of random questions
411 for phone numbers 🙊
took some time getting used to dialing area code first 🙄

"Operator, can you help me place this call? Seems the number on the matchbook is old and faded."

Aylat

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 8:55 am
thunderstorm wrote:
How about it was the norm for a six to seven year old to do a small grocery shopping in Boro Park. I had to wait by the corner until someone passed , and had to ask them to hold my hand and to please cross me over to the other side of the street. Nowadays if a stranger held the hand of a little girl he or she would be arrested!!!!
And if I couldn't find something , I'd walk a block to the payphone and call "collect" to find out what I should buy instead.

This is still the norm in many places in Israel. Except the payphone. My kids ask a passing adult if they can use their cell for a minute.

Aylat

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 8:57 am
I remembered something else! My dad used to occasionally bring home a computer from work (a university) and we could play a chess game on it. The game took 30 minutes to load! Nowadays if a tab takes more than a few seconds to open people complain the computer is running slow.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 10:55 am
thunderstorm wrote:

If it makes you feel better, not just Boro Park.

I remember going to the beauty parlor with my mom, so I probably wasn't even 4. My mom, and my friend Marci's mom, would give us money to run to the corner store for a snack. No streets to cross, though.

And we would always stand on the curb to ask random people walking by to "cross" us when we were playing outside alone.

Mom would also drop us off at the toy store and tell us to browse until she finished her errands, then buy us each a small gift (like a Matchbox car). Everyone did that until Adam Walsh. Adam Walsh irrevocably changed American parenting. More than cell phones or the internet ever did.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 10:56 am
PinkFridge wrote:
"Operator, can you help me place this call? Seems the number on the matchbook is old and faded."

Heart Heart Heart Heart

WWG1WGA

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 11:41 am
How about bringing home a newborn in the 1980s! I remember my newborn brother coming home from the hospital in the car with a little cradle I the back seat that wasn't strapped to anything at all....and no one worried What

WWG1WGA

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 11:44 am
amother wrote:
Thank you everyone (this is op) you came up with some terrific examples. It's wonderful to be reminded of how lucky we are to be alive NOW.

What I find most most interesting about all of of this type of stuff is this:

Everything everything is created by Hashem through His words. But the hishtadlus needed by people has changed throughout history. So for example healing from certain diseases used to be by putting pigeons on your stomach, now we use antibiotics. But we also need more WORDS to get anything done. The antibiotics come with lots of written instructions, for example.

Better examples of this are building houses and raising children. Used to be that the you could build a building by drawing up plans and then building it. Now, unless you send literally thousands of emails and text messages-,booking things arranging things cancelling things changing things and etc- then the building simply will not get built. The hishtadlus has changed to require more WORDS.

Same with raising children. It requires so much more words now. Firstly we talk to the actual children more. But also we must do things that were never required in the past. Tubes like talking to teachers and therapists. A lot. And so many many emails to discuss so many many issues.

I find it fascinating because of the fact that Hashem created, and continues to create, the whole world through WORDS. And as I see it, the closer we get to the ultimate redemption, the more we as humans are acting Betzelem Elokim in that we are building the world through WORDS. More abs more words.

(as I write this I have a vague feeling the I wrote this idea out aa a thread before, but as it was probably also anonymous, I guess I'll never find it again).

But anyway I do find it representative of a very deep truth about the world.
beautiful thought.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 12:44 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Heart Heart Heart Heart

Not to go off on a tangent but Imamother is a much happier and funner place to hang on when you can find shared frames of reference.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 3:53 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Not to go off on a tangent but Imamother is a much happier and funner place to hang on when you can find shared frames of reference.

Or calling person to person collect from Camp to Mr Shik Gelt...

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 5:15 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Or calling person to person collect from Camp to Mr Shik Gelt...

Or the pseudonym of your choice.
Not from camp because we weren't allowed to use the phone but I do remember the person to person collect calls.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 6:12 pm
Aylat wrote:
I remembered something else! My dad used to occasionally bring home a computer from work (a university) and we could play a chess game on it. The game took 30 minutes to load! Nowadays if a tab takes more than a few seconds to open people complain the computer is running slow.

My neighbors had a computer that had a cassette player attached. To load a game you had to run a cassette for 25 minutes. Then you could play one game. (a very simple one) If you wanted to play another game you had to run another cassette. But, I think these computers were already out of date in the 90s. Our school computers were a lot quicker, as were my parents. (but my parents never let us play games on them...)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics