Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Antibiotics after rootcanal??

mammala120

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 3:23 pm
Just had my first root canal ( still need to get post and crown). Do I need antibiotics now...clondomycin. There is no infection so it will be prophylactic I’ll it help or weaken my body ? Please please let me know if you have experience with this thankyou

bookie

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 4:00 pm
I would take the medicine. When I had my last root canal my tooth was not infected but it got infected two days later and I was in an insane amount of pain. I would have much rather taken antibiotics just in case rather then suffer as badly as I did.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 4:06 pm
Make sure you are not allergic to the meds. I was put on Clyndomicin for an infected root canal and had a really bad allergic reaction. Now I know I can't take that particular antibiotic.
But if the dentist advised to take it I would if I were you. When they do the root canal they fill the tooth with antibiotic too.

mammala120

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 4:56 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Make sure you are not allergic to the meds. I was put on Clyndomicin for an infected root canal and had a really bad allergic reaction. Now I know I can't take that particular antibiotic.
But if the dentist advised to take it I would if I were you. When they do the root canal they fill the tooth with antibiotic too.

Thankyou
I have never took clindamycin so I don’t know if I am allergic or not ....should I experiment now? How do I check if I am allergic to it before I take it? I am allergic to penicillin

mammala120

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 4:59 pm
bookie wrote:
I would take the medicine. When I had my last root canal my tooth was not infected but it got infected two days later and I was in an insane amount of pain. I would have much rather taken antibiotics just in case rather then suffer as badly as I did.

Wow I am sorry that happened to you. On google it said antibiotic don’t reach root canaled tooth....is that true. Did abx help you once it got infected?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 4:59 pm
mammala120 wrote:
Thankyou
I have never took clindamycin so I don’t know if I am allergic or not ....should I experiment now? How do I check if I am allergic to it before I take it? I am allergic to penicillin

It took a few days and then my entire body broke out in hives that got worse and worse . But there really is no way of knowing unless you have a reaction. Penicillin is in a different family of antibiotics. Take it and hope for the best.

enjoying kids

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 5:51 pm
I know someone who took clindamycin for a tooth infection and got a nasty case.of c diff
Only take it if you really need it, and be sure to take probiotic

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 6:10 pm
I would follow what the dentist recommended

bookie

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 6:17 pm
mammala120 wrote:
Wow I am sorry that happened to you. On google it said antibiotic don’t reach root canaled tooth....is that true. Did abx help you once it got infected?

I was put on amoxil and felt better with in twenty four hours

mammala120

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 6:37 pm
Thankyou everyone for your advices. As always there is no win win with antibiotics. Only pray. I will take all advice into consideration and see what’s best.

skee

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 6:58 pm
I have had several root canals and have sometimes taken antibiotics afterwards and sometimes not. I do what the dentist recommends and B"H I have not had problems either way.

cy

Post Wed, Jun 13 2018, 11:44 pm
ive been put on amoxil to prevent infection

trixx

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 12:06 am
Always take antibiotics after any oral surgery
An infection can lead to septic shock... Recent family story. better now after being in hospital for weeks but now at risk for heart attacks

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 14 2018, 5:16 am
As skee wrote, the dentist will recommend based on what he finds during the procedure.

I had a root canal last week and the dentist said it depends on whether the root is badly infected when he opens it up. This time I had no antibiotics.

I take antibiotics routinely for all dental procedures including cleaning as a prophylactic measure and have never had any kind of bad reaction. If you do, have the antibiotic changed. It is critical that you take antibiotics if a dentist prescribed for many reasons including proximity to the brain.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics