Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Creeped out by "street photographers"
1  2  Next

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 1:17 am
this is a rant about the latest craze on Instagram, street photography. it started with random people doing photo journaling but getting official permission and sort of like a mini interview. now it escalted to random people, not even professionals with cameras, with iphones snapping pictures of random people and posting away. it irked me to no end when I saw a popular account post pictures of boys in a classroom. dude was in a boys yeshiva and snapped a picture through the classroom door. posting other peoples kids on the world wide web? how is that ok? makes my skin crawl thinking if this so called photographer gets to my sons school, what will he snap there? what really creeps me out is seeing pictures that are zoomed in to innocent people from car windows or stores and they have no idea someone is snapping them. I have mini anxiety attacks thinking about going out in busy Brooklyn places.. ok, not really but I'm super annoyed and yes creeped out. it feels
stalkerish (if that's a word) does anyone get me or am I just super paranoid?

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 1:25 am
I get you. It probably won't help to tell you that there are video cameras all over the place - you are being recorded more than you probably realize.

But yes - its extremely uncomfortable to have your image being used for someone's 'art' without permission. Worse when its your child. I think stakerish is the wrong word... Voyeurism is what you are looking for.

No one should be photographing children in school without permission of the school - and the school shouldn't be granting that permission.

(note: the children involved probably aren't suffering any consequences from these photos. I agree with you that its wrong - they are 'unknowing'. 'innocent' suggests they have suffered as a result of these photos).

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 9:09 am
It is really annoying. There are so many of these Instagram pages popping up. “Hasidim in (insert city or area) and don’t even forget that annoying woman in BP who stands on street corners and just holds up her phone taking pictures Confused

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 9:12 am
It's not recent. It's not insta. Some ask, some don't.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 10:09 am
You don't even a phone
Now video can be shot from a visor or google glasses
Welcome to the 21st century

Soon they will be able to make holograms of everyone ...

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 10:37 am
The ones who post beautiful pics, I don’t mind.
Hasidim in the USA portrays us in a positive light, and for the most part posts nice pictures.

[name removed], on the other hand, posts pictures that are disgusting, singling out people who are fat, dressed ugly, or just in a weird caught moment.
She’ll always answer you she’s doing nothing illegal.
She forgot about basic kavod Habriot though...

I wish she’s on here reading this.

asmileaday

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 10:42 am
amother wrote:
Hasidim in the USA portrays us in a positive light, and for the most part posts nice pictures.

[Name removed], on the other hand, posts pictures that are disgusting, singling out people who are fat, dressed ugly, or just in a weird caught moment.

This 100%.

There's nothing to do though.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 10:42 am
I heard that there’s a way to tell where the pic was taken.
I think this is a threat to our safety, especialy children.
Perps know where you live, etc.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 11:55 am
Is it possible to take [Name removed] to Bais din?
She once posted a not so flattering picture of a family member, we begged her to take it off she refused! She takes pictures of people in their not so great moments like klutzing out a Subway window, women trying to manage babies, toddlers & bags...

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 11:55 am
amother wrote:
[Name removed], on the other hand, posts pictures that are disgusting, singling out people who are fat, dressed ugly, or just in a weird caught moment.

I know on YouTube you can take down any video that you are in that you did not consent to being put up. I know, I did it once.

I don't know who she is, but if anyone of you finds yourself or your child in a photo you did not consent to, contact the website owner, if it's social media report the post and claim it is you. They should take it down.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 11:59 am
amother wrote:
She once posted a not so flattering picture of a family member, we begged her to take it off she refused! She takes pictures of people in their not so great moments like klutzing out a Subway window, women trying to manage babies, toddlers & bags...

PLEASE contact Instagram or whatever platform she is using. They are very courteous, tell them you are in a photo you did NOT consent to. Report the post.

Click the 3 dots, then report, then either Harassment or Bullying or Intellectual Property Violation. If people get reported enough the platform will kick them off.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:

honestly, I think either way is creepy and not okay. you can't just snap pics of people because you want to, even if for a good purspose. #sorrynotsorry

cnc

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 12:32 pm
amother wrote:

I know that people contacted her because she posted pictures of their children and they wanted them removed she basically said to go fly a kite. Just because something is legal, doesn’t make it the right thing to do. And it doesn’t mean that the person doing it is okay.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 12:35 pm
I once messaged her on Instagram about her account and she blocked me immediately.

ggdm

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 1:04 pm
asmileaday wrote:
There's nothing to do though.

I don't know about the US, but in Europe you own the rights for any picture taken of you. So if someone publishes a photo of you without your consent, you can take them to court. Of course few people will actually do that, but it may help to cite the law to the people to get them to stop. It really isn't ok.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 1:26 pm
This is interesting. I'm not on Instagram so I literally don't know what you're referring to

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 1:28 pm
I don't think portaying people nicely is better than portaying them in weird off guard moments. I'm talking about strangers having their phone full of pictures of other strangers kids. AND the anybody who sits in a car snapping and posting a picture of a woman crossing the street. all in the name of art.
please someone tell me I'm not alone feeling this way..

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think portaying people nicely is better than portaying them in weird off guard moments. I'm talking about strangers having their phone full of pictures of other strangers kids. AND the anybody who sits in a car snapping and posting a picture of a woman crossing the street. all in the name of art.
please someone tell me I'm not alone feeling this way..

ur not alone. I'm with you 1000%.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 1:39 pm
We grew up in a area that had lots of tourist groups passing by. Most of the time the tourist would be taking pictures of us kids, many of them never saw Jewish kids. My parents thought us to walk away & when my parents saw ppl taking pictures of us they politely asked the tour guides to tell the tourist that they can't take pictures of kids.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 1:41 pm
amother wrote:
I once messaged her on Instagram about her account and she blocked me immediately.

You don't MESSAGE these people. When I had a video taken down by someone famous in the frum world I my messages didn't get an answer, so I went straight to Youtube, within 2 hours it was gone.

CONTACT THE PLATFORM. She DOES not have the upper hand, she is bound by the terms and conditions of the platform in question, whether it's instagram, youtube, facebook or who knows what!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics