Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Creeped out by "street photographers"
Previous  1  2

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 1:42 pm
ggdm wrote:
I don't know about the US, but in Europe you own the rights for any picture taken of you. So if someone publishes a photo of you without your consent, you can take them to court. Of course few people will actually do that, but it may help to cite the law to the people to get them to stop. It really isn't ok.

It boggles my mind how people do not think to even REPORT it to the website it's hosted on. These websites are forced to obey the law. This is illegal in the USA too!

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 1:44 pm
cnc wrote:
I know that people contacted her because she posted pictures of their children and they wanted them removed she basically said to go fly a kite. Just because something is legal, doesn’t make it the right thing to do. And it doesn’t mean that the person doing it is okay.

Of course she said that, she could care less...until instagram threatens to remove her account that is.

People, learn your rights! Please!!!!!!!!!!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 1:47 pm
amother wrote:
I heard that there’s a way to tell where the pic was taken.
I think this is a threat to our safety, especialy children.
Perps know where you live, etc.

I'm curious. Exactly how you you think that a perp is going to choose your child, track down your house, and wait outside for the opportunity? Why would they do that?

Statistically, you child is more likely to be hit by lightning than to be abducted by a stranger. 90% of all child endangerments are by people the child already knows and trusts.

I have yet to hear of one case of child endangerment, never mind abduction, based on a random photograph. If you know of any cases, please provide links.

Taking pictures of strangers may be rude, but IMO it is not putting you in the path of a murderer.

I hate to break it to you, but your kids are not as irresistable as you think they are, and your life is not nearly as interesting to strangers as you think it is. Some people do photography as a hobby, and there's nothing sinister in that.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 1:47 pm
This thread is not about her, although she has made herself obnoxiously known and famous. but rather about purposely anonymous people hiding behind their accounts

cnc

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 2:32 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Of course she said that, she could care less...until instagram threatens to remove her account that is.

Instagram will not remove her account, because unfortunately what she is doing is 100% legal. IIRC you don’t live in the US so perhaps the laws there are different.

cnc

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 2:33 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I'm curious. Exactly how you you think that a perp is going to choose your child, track down your house, and wait outside for the opportunity? Why would they do that?

Statistically, you child is more likely to be hit by lightning than to be abducted by a stranger. 90% of all child endangerments are by people the child already knows and trusts.

I have yet to hear of one case of child endangerment, never mind abduction, based on a random photograph. If you know of any cases, please provide links.

Taking pictures of strangers may be rude, but IMO it is not putting you in the path of a murderer.

I hate to break it to you, but your kids are not as irresistable as you think they are, and your life is not nearly as interesting to strangers as you think it is. Some people do photography as a hobby, and there's nothing sinister in that.

I’m still not comfortable having my children on social media. I don’t post pics of them so I would find it very upsetting if others would.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 2:35 pm
amother wrote:
This thread is not about her, although she has made herself obnoxiously known and famous. but rather about purposely anonymous people hiding behind their accounts

What do you think the motivations of these "anonymous people" are?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 2:39 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

Yes. I strongly recommend that you learn your rights, particularly with respect to photography in the US in places in which a person does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

If you live in Europe, GDPR may have provided you with certain protections unavailable in the US, and you should most assuredly learn about them as well.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 2:44 pm
amother wrote:
Yes. I strongly recommend that you learn your rights, particularly with respect to photography in the US in places in which a person does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

If you live in Europe, GDPR may have provided you with certain protections unavailable in the US, and you should most assuredly learn about them as well.

I'm from the USA, and youtube removed the video I was in cuz it was taken without consent. Maybe instagram has different rules? Legal or not platforms also make their own rules in addition, find out if instagram has rules..

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 2:58 pm
amother wrote:
What do you think the motivations of these "anonymous people" are?

I don't know. but some of them get great following and applause for capturing unique moments of "art".
when I run out to do my errands or sit in a carpool lane I would like to do just that. knowing that some stranger might get a snap of me wiping my nose, crossing the street or holding a shopping bag makes me feel.. vulnerable? exposed? I don't know how to describe it.

FranticFrummi, I'm not worried someone will pick me up or abduct my child (or any of the ones who were already photographed) just by taking a photo off the street. I highly doubt that would even be possible for someone to do.

cnc

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:
I'm from the USA, and youtube removed the video I was in cuz it was taken without consent. Maybe instagram has different rules? Legal or not platforms also make their own rules in addition, find out if instagram has rules..

It depends where it was taken. If it was taken on a public street, then it's permissible.

WhatFor

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 3:34 pm
cnc wrote:
It depends where it was taken. If it was taken on a public street, then it's permissible.

That's why I think op could look more into whether the particular scenario she's describing is legal. Even if one has no reasonable expectation of privacy on a public street, I'm not sure that the same standard would apply to children inside of a private school classroom.

cnc

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 3:36 pm
WhatFor wrote:
That's why I think op could look more into whether the particular scenario she's describing is legal. Even if one has no reasonable expectation of privacy on a public street, I'm not sure that the same standard would apply to children inside of a private school classroom.

Good point. In the scenario I described it was a public street.

Laiya

Post Mon, Jun 18 2018, 3:44 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

FF, I tend to agree with you in general that degree of risk or danger is often inflated in people's minds, but there are other safety concerns when it comes to photos of children that appear online.

One is digital kidnapping:
https://www.fastcompany.com/30.....hotos

Another is use of the photos on child p*rnography sites. Note, this doesn't even have to mean, showing inappropriate photos, but placing a child's photo alongside an explicit photo:
https://www.kidspot.com.au/par.....a8d3?

Another concern is the fact that digital footprints are forever. You never know who will ultimately see the picture, when. I would want to protect my kids from misuse that they have no control over.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics